Early Bronco with a Coyote 5.0

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I thought I'd share since Ken has been at Le Mans with us and might be around Park City for the rally. I saw this Bronco in person a few weeks ago and it is nicely done. I am currently building a '69 Bronco that we stretched 36" to make it a 4 door (Sorry Ford, I couldn't wait until 2020!) After seeing this engine/trans swap I am seriously considering the same one. Any thoughts?

http://performance.ford.com/enthusi...uild.html?cks=45969402906&emailid=FP_FASTNEWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa
Wow that really looks like fun !

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Cool project :driving:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Doesnt having a highway worthy safe bronco take the fun out of it (ha ha, but both of ours are "events" at 45-50 mph).

Ever since seeing the Icon early Bronco at Sema, I ponder a coyote swap, but Im sure ill never get to it.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Doesnt having a highway worthy safe bronco take the fun out of it (ha ha, but both of ours are "events" at 45-50 mph).

Ever since seeing the Icon early Bronco at Sema, I ponder a coyote swap, but Im sure ill never get to it.

Ok I was worried it was just mine. My completely restored better than new Bronco is sketchy at 55 mph. I don't know how people drove these things as daily drivers in the 60s and 70s. I am usually white knuckling mine every time I drive it. It wouldn't matter what engine or transmission was in it.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Kevin, my bronco has a fuel injected 302 with a serpentine belt. I was told the coyote requires a 2" body lift to make the engine clear the fire wall and then you usually do aftermarket bumpers to make up for the gap between the frame and the body. I also upgraded the factory suspension and swapped the 3 speed manual for a brand new crate 5 speed manual transmission - same one used in the Icon. I did just have front and rear sway bars added to my Bronco and I am awaiting its return. Supposedly it rides a lot better.

Last edited:

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Ok I was worried it was just mine. My completely restored better than new Bronco is sketchy at 55 mph. I don't know how people drove these things as daily drivers in the 60s and 70s. I am usually white knuckling mine every time I drive it. It wouldn't matter what engine or transmission was in it.

Most of the white knuckle driving is caused by camber. People raise these trucks and it changes the degree of caster then when the wheel is turned it dramatically causes the truck to wander and the driver to try to compensate. On some builds you will see them drop the rear of the trailing arms the amount of the lift. Adding the caster degree bushings will make driving a pleasure.I have one that drives 80 MPH with one finger. Love the early Bronco's.