Rally 12 Track Day Tip #3

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Also, remember not to tighten lug nuts while the car is hot. And dont put on the parking brake immediately after a session. Put the car in gear instead. Most people like to take a slow drive around a safe area like an access road to cool the car down.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Good advice BtwoG....
PM sent.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I will be available to instruct at the rally

Gentlemen,

Almost every attendee is familiar with Roketman Ron and his abilities as both a driver and an instructor but if you are new and don't know him you should seek him out before or during the track day. Every time I let him drive my GT at a track I'm blown away by how much faster and smoother he is than me or just about anybody else. I don't think I've ever attended a Rally Track Day without a session with Ron. He's very generous with his time so take advantage of his instruction. I guarantee you'll learn a lot, have a good, safe time, and you'll be stunned at the real capabilities of your GT and the top drivers. See you in Utah!

Chip

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I will be available to instruct at the rally

I had the good fortune to spend a week at Ron's place back in 2006, working on his and other GTs. Not only did I eat very well, I had a Porsche Targa to run around with. The highlight of the week was riding with Ron. Having just retired from the GT program, I still had fond memories of riding with Mark M at the proving grounds, as well as the many hours driving GTs. I was supremely impressed with Ron's ability behind the wheel. Watching him at rallies since then has only solidified my trust in his abilities. I'm a "Nervous Nellie" when going fast unless I'm behind the wheel. There are 3 exceptions to that. Ron, Mark, & Chip are the exceptions. If you get the chance, ride with any of them. It will be an eye opener to the abilities of your GT. Not only that, they are great guys to just hang out with.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
There are a number of advanced level drivers who are happy to volunteer their coaching skills in a ride along capacity to the new drivers during the novice sessions. This will be discussed at the drivers meeting and pairings made.

As was stated earlier there will be a number of extremely qualified top tier advanced drivers attending UMC with our group. We have several NASA licensed drivers, several Ford program drivers who worked on the FGT design team and other advanced drivers with deep experience driving Ford products. With 20+ drivers in the Novice run group it is suggested these drivers seek the services of any of a number of qualified coaches in the advanced ranks. This will be discussed at the drivers meeting.

As several owners have inquired about “track insurance” (see Track Tip #3) Single Day Track Coverage is available thru theOpenTrack.com. Single event coverage costs for a vehicle value of $100,000 is $650 and for a $200,000 value at $1,150. Unforeseen things can and do happen on the track, especially if someone else is driving your car. Consider the liability carefully. We want everyone to have a safe and happy time on the track!:biggrin

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ill be helping out as well.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
you can still use SA2005 helmets, I thought they were done this year.

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Ill be helping out as well.

I humbly request one refresher session.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
One thing we all hope won't be needed is our tow hooks but they came with the car for a reason. It is always best to install/screw it in while running on the track. Even something simple may happen and it a lot easier to install in the parking lot than under pressure on the track. Remember it is left hand threads.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
A repeat offender, ha, we can do that.

I humbly request one refresher session.