1800 mile 2005 GT sold in Greensboro NC for $257,500 + commission

Tomcat

GT Owner
The red, three-option (no stripes) was a VERY early 2005 model. I found one 1/2" scratch and the steering wheel emblem was tarnished (as usual). Commission is 8%
GAA auction
https://www.gaaclassiccars.com/vehicles/results?page=39

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Interesting. I've got twice the mileage on my red no stripe 3 option and I wouldn't sell it for that even with the commission.
I still say- not a bad time to buy the right car. jmo

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
I just listed my 2005, red, 3 option, 3500 mile car on Ebay for $259,000.00. No takers. Best offer was $225,000.00.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I just listed my 2005, red, 3 option, 3500 mile car on Ebay for $259,000.00. No takers. Best offer was $225,000.00.
I'd sit tight. there is a lot of reasons I think to hold on and buy more that mimic the late eighties-early nineties era not to mention the popularity of the 05/06 cars. I hope that Ford does build all the 2017/2018/2019 GTs they project but if they don't, there will be a lot of pent up demand for the 05/06. I don't have a shiny crystal ball but I do have a very shiny head!!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Collector car prices are down across the board; '15 was the peak.

Every auction house has lower sell-thru %s; they try and bury it in result press-release, but empty seats and no-sales don't lie.

Only ultra-rare, iconic and documented cars get the headlines; 90s and 00s jelly-bean style exotics are struggling the most.

There are pockets: air-cooled; V-12s; 60s, etc.

Ebay/Hemmings/Autotrader listing prices have no relation to reality.

The 2010-teens cars are depreciating even faster; not sure what they will call this era (Angry Turtle / Hunched back / Dome Top?) but 458s / Huracans / R8 / Mc's are headed in one direction.

Last edited:

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Case in point. Ferrari Lusso's got up to 2.5M in 2015. There is a Lusso on the cover of the latest issue of Sports Car Magazine that sold in the 1.5 M range. Granted it wasn't the nicest car but hey. Everything is down and it had to happen after the frenzy these past years. What goes down goes up. Money moves around depending where the action is. Part of the action is now in the stock market, moving money away from the car market. In my opinion (no crystal ball here either) collector cars will continue to correct. But as with the stock market the desirable cars as the GT will surpass the highs of 2015. Hang on if you can. But it may be a bit of a wait. My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
"But as with the stock market the desirable cars as the GT will surpass the highs of 2015. Hang on if you can. But it may be a bit of a wait. My 2 cents worth."
+1 !!! I'm still buying when the deal is right. jmho

Tomcat

GT Owner
PM sent

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH

Just emailed you all the information on the car. Mint condition (1+).

Dwhite

How many 4000+ produced cars sell for $300,000+. Drive the car, enjoy it and when you're done enjoying it move it on to the next person to enjoy.

Speculating on a big production# car is a big gamble. Going from $300K to $600K is hard for me to believe, but I never bought a car as an investment. However, every sports car I bought and sold, I sold for more money, but they were crappy investments if that was my plan.

I've been lusting after a FGT since they were announced, but at 250K, it's a tough trigger to pull.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Then go for a higher mileage one, a "driver." If the low miles cars are only selling in the mid-$200's, you should be able to get one with 20Kmi or more for around $200K, or less if the seller is motivated.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
A 20,000 mile FGT is like a 1500 mile F-car, but with no "engine out" service looming on the horizon.

Sorry, couldn't resist when I saw you have a couple. :wink

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Case in point. Ferrari Lusso's got up to 2.5M in 2015. There is a Lusso on the cover of the latest issue of Sports Car Magazine that sold in the 1.5 M range. Granted it wasn't the nicest car but hey. Everything is down and it had to happen after the frenzy these past years. What goes down goes up. Money moves around depending where the action is. Part of the action is now in the stock market, moving money away from the car market. In my opinion (no crystal ball here either) collector cars will continue to correct. But as with the stock market the desirable cars as the GT will surpass the highs of 2015. Hang on if you can. But it may be a bit of a wait. My 2 cents worth.

Exactly, stocks have enjoyed a very nice run since the election and people will always look for a way to cash in. Another thing to consider is that we are in a rising interest rate environment and when that happens, asset prices drop. This will also effect stocks, the question is when.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
How many 4000+ produced cars sell for $300,000+. Drive the car, enjoy it and when you're done enjoying it move it on to the next person to enjoy.

Speculating on a big production# car is a big gamble. Going from $300K to $600K is hard for me to believe, but I never bought a car as an investment. However, every sports car I bought and sold, I sold for more money, but they were crappy investments if that was my plan.

I've been lusting after a FGT since they were announced, but at 250K, it's a tough trigger to pull.
Come on already Dave, I've been waiting for your call!!! It's time you became an owner!!!

Dwhite

Come on already Dave, I've been waiting for your call!!! It's time you became an owner!!!
Thanks Roger. I keep putting call Roger in my calendar and every week something comes up. I'm away until the end of the month, maybe in September we can finally get the cars together.

"A 20,000 mile FGT is like a 1500 mile F-car, but with no "engine out" service looming on the horizon.

Sorry, couldn't resist when I saw you have a couple."

I hear you, I would not be looking at a super low mileage example. Hell I've got 60K on my Boxer and 73K on my 308. I like driving my cars, but they're always in top mecanical condition and I do the work for the most part.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Don't care what it's worth!
Keeping it forever!
Even if the value tanks ,it's still priceless to me!

Tomcat

GT Owner
Just emailed you all the information on the car. Mint condition (1+).
My friend has reviewed (and has your email address)...I have not heard anything from him. He is a Viper track guy so I know he's looking for more of a driver...

Tomcat

GT Owner
Then go for a higher mileage one, a "driver." If the low miles cars are only selling in the mid-$200's, you should be able to get one with 20Kmi or more for around $200K, or less if the seller is motivated.

There seems to be a void in $225k range...unrepaired salvage title ~$198k, repaired salvage ~$209k, 1800 milers ~$260k...

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
. <snip>

I hear you, I would not be looking at a super low mileage example. Hell I've got 60K on my Boxer and 73K on my 308. I like driving my cars, but they're always in top mecanical condition and I do the work for the most part.

If you do your own service, you'll love these cars. The one catch is getting under them, because the belly pans need to come off for most regular services (e.g., oil changes). That's why I installed a lift in my garage. As others have noted, there's a lot of expertise in this group if you want to DIY.

Re price: just get out there and start looking and making offers. Nobody knows what a car is worth until a seller and buyer agree. The car looks great in any color, so don't confine your search to only one color. I started out preferring the white with blue stripes ('cause that' was the Hot Wheels toy I had as a kid) or blue with white stripe, but I ended up really liking the red with white stripe--besides, everyone knows red is the fastest color! The more you inspect, the more you will become familiar with their details and what to look for.

If you want a really pristine, 4-digit odometer car, I'd say go see Shelby at Elite and pay the price. For a driver, there are plenty of choices. And just to beat the dead horse again, be sure to get a PPI by someone knowledgable.

Dwhite

If you do your own service, you'll love these cars. The one catch is getting under them, because the belly pans need to come off for most regular services (e.g., oil changes). That's why I installed a lift in my garage. As others have noted, there's a lot of expertise in this group if you want to DIY.

Re price: just get out there and start looking and making offers. Nobody knows what a car is worth until a seller and buyer agree. The car looks great in any color, so don't confine your search to only one color. I started out preferring the white with blue stripes ('cause that' was the Hot Wheels toy I had as a kid) or blue with white stripe, but I ended up really liking the red with white stripe--besides, everyone knows red is the fastest color! The more you inspect, the more you will become familiar with their details and what to look for.

If you want a really pristine, 4-digit odometer car, I'd say go see Shelby at Elite and pay the price. For a driver, there are plenty of choices. And just to beat the dead horse again, be sure to get a PPI by someone knowledgable.

Thanks Peter. Yeah, I need to make a final decision on what I'm doing. Moving into a FGT requires me to part with other cars, so I'm coming to terms with that. I get the ask/sell price differential. Just need to get to that point (funds in hand) to make any offers.

Certanly would not buy any car of this calibre without a PPI, unless I knew the car and owner personally.

Last edited: