Mercedes SLS Black Series Thoughts....?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents,
Curious if any of you have any thoughts/experience with the 2014 SLS Black Series "Gullwing"?

For some reason (perhaps b/c my GT allocation was pushed a good bit back), been thinking about what would be fun in the interim.

Power train seems impressive, and I suspect it is the last Gullwing they will make for the foreseeable future. Prices on them are pretty nutso high right now, but hopefully will stay stable over next year....

Thanks!

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Its unlike any other mercedes, its more like a German version of a muscle car. pretty cool car.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Its unlike any other mercedes, its more like a German version of a muscle car. pretty cool car.

W.Mitty wrote a pretty cool review of it years ago on here. His reviews are always a treat.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
W.Mitty wrote a pretty cool review of it years ago on here. His reviews are always a treat.

I have read his review and you are right very insightful and always a treat to read.

However, I have a little experience with this car as well

mine is not a black series but lots of fun nonetheless, and half the price!

sadly Im no where near as articulate as Mitty when it comes to writing reviews or anything for that matter, but as I mentioned before car is LOTS of fun to drive and it has a lot going for it also. Being in the upper end sport/exotic car market, it comes from a big trusted manufacturers with all of their experience and support, (unlike ferrari or lambo, now I'm not saying ferrari and lambo are small companies but compared to mercedes they are small). it also seems like the sls is purposely build not to be like the other cars from mercedes, so even though it is offered by mercedes its unlike most of their cars (kind of like our own 06 GT's) it is a car that pays homage to the 50s race car (again very much like our 06 GT's) the cool factor is always there, inspite of the fact that other AMG models usually tank within a few year this one has kept its value and is slowly on the rise again, and you just can't beat the gulwing doors. this is the modern day version of a gentlemen racer very much like aston martin except I think this car is a better built. now if it had an exotic motor like a v12 that would have made it even better and more unique. lastly, they only made 2700 of the gulwing cars so its more rare than our GT! I believe they only made about 150 black series which would explain the ridiculously high price.
IMG_2129.jpg

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Neighbor, pitcher Justin Verlander has one. Gorgeous.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Would echo Mr. Soroush....

Base SLS gets you 90% there with cleaner design; that will age better.

Its M159 engine shares architecture with AMG SL 63 / S 63 engines that routinely do 200K even 300K miles (sort hi miles on ebay on S-Class).

Dont dismiss the SLR either you get M-B and McLaren lineage and they are still dropping; for ~$200K that car has massive charisma and presence.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Truck...McLaren&_nkw=Mercedes-Benz+SLR+McLaren&_sop=2

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
My only experience with one is Blake and I passing the red one in the background many times at COTA..:biggrin

Attachments

• 2017-07-30 21.58.19.jpg
    2017-07-30 21.58.19.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 256

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
My only experience with one is Blake and I passing the red one in the background many times at COTA..:biggrin

Brian,
Knowing how you drive, and how I drive, I think you would pass me on the track if you were driving a mini-van!
BTW - your new GT looks amazing. Congrats!

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Great car with what has to be one of the best naturally aspirated V8 engines ever made.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
The only "cool" (SLS or SLS Black Series) Benz, also I'd look at the Jag F type R, awesome as well and they tank (lucky us), a 2 or a 3 year old one can be had for around $60K. The exhaust note and acceleration is something to write home about and on top of it all it's luxurious and can be driven 100s of mile with minimal driver fatigue. Good luck !

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
How about a Ford Motor Company Product?
Ajb (andy)

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
How about a Ford Motor Company Product?
Ajb (andy)

Got some of them, and one on the way...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I drove one (not the black) down at Amelia a few years back. Took days to get the grin off my face!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Was looking back at some old threads I started - 4 yrs after I first posted this thread, I somehow just wound up acquiring 2 this past year.
I love them. Awesome cars.

Attachments

• SLS.jpg
    SLS.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 0

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Thats some serious machinery. Congrats!