2006 GT shuts down on acceleration

strosek

Dec 15, 2015
Car shuts down when you try to gain speed. It starts shutting injectors off. If you slow down it will come back to life. There are no codes in the pcm, but the abs light will come on when this happens with a code for wheel speed but not for any perticular wheel. Have disconnected the abs and problem is the same. Fuel pressure is 30 psi at idle and around 50 when you accelerate.
Thanks,
Eric

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
stock or modified?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
One of the fuel pumps?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Collapsing air tube?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Car shuts down when you try to gain speed. It starts shutting injectors off. If you slow down it will come back to life. There are no codes in the pcm, but the abs light will come on when this happens with a code for wheel speed but not for any perticular wheel. Have disconnected the abs and problem is the same. Fuel pressure is 30 psi at idle and around 50 when you accelerate.
Thanks,
Eric

I've been thru this before.. save yourself a lot of time and change out the secondary fuel pump realy.. they were about 12 bucks years ago.. try that first and I bet it cures the problem.. happened to me twice,, if you want the long technical version of what happing PM me and get my number. Relays are in the front under the storage bin , small black box , mounted high near the wiper motor..

better yet,, see post #9 & 10 and follow up ..
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ble-Code-P1235?highlight=fuel+pump+relay+code

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I've been thru this before.. save yourself a lot of time and change out the secondary fuel pump realy.. they were about 12 bucks years ago.. try that first and I bet it cures the problem.. happened to me twice,, if you want the long technical version of what happing PM me and get my number. Relays are in the front under the storage bin , small black box , mounted high near the wiper motor..

better yet,, see post #9 & 10 and follow up ..
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ble-Code-P1235?highlight=fuel+pump+relay+code

what he said or the secondary pump drivers after you have checked out the relays.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Stock tires and wheels? If they are aftermarket the diameters could be too close of a ratio from front to back causing the ABS module to limit speed to around 50mph. Seen this before when someone else spec'd out wheels for their car.
Don't think a fuel pump relay will set the ABS light.

strosek

Dec 15, 2015
The car is stock, the wheels are stock the tires are correct size. I have swapped the fuel pump relays and I have check to see if both pumps are running. I do not know what air tube you are talking about.
Thanks for the replys,
Eric

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
the air tube is the one feeding the throttle body. When it get hot it's very soft and can collapse from the suction cutting air off to the super charger and the fuel mix. Most have put stiffeners in the air inlet tube. Either a solid piece or multiple metal rings.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
can you gradually/slowly increase speed say to 70 or does it shut off every time you go past a certain speed?

strosek

Dec 15, 2015
I have tried with and with out boost, and at different speeds but it always shuts down. I have been able to test on a side street and get it to shut down around 40 to 50.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me... how did you check the secondary pump drivers where working?

strosek

Dec 15, 2015
I have a fuel gauge on the car. I unplugged the fuel modules one at a time and the fuel pressure stayed the same.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Subscribing

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Mine had a similar problem and didn't show any codes. It was going into limp mode limiting speed to about 45 mph. I don't remember seeing an ABS light on mine. Anyway, it was a weak battery - 200 amps I think it tested at. The battery was strong enough to start the car, so it was a real head scratcher. Changed the battery and everything was fine.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Can't explain the ABS light. Obviously the car has no active traction control mechanisms. This part of the puzzle is weird.

I seriously doubt it's fuel because a lot of the fuel scenarios that result in hesitation would yield a CEL lean condition.

My bet is a bad MAF sensor and/or a foreign substance in the air intake. The car is trying to match fuel to MAF counts and if the MAF count is whacky, the car is happy to keep matching weird MAF counts with corresponding fuel pulses. I'd start here.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you have a data logging tool and collect RPM, load, MAF counts, fuel pressure, and injector duty cycle, I would bet it would shed light on the problem.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
It's so easy to eliminate the possibility of a bad battery ground by re-dressing the chassis ground, I would do that too. We're all interested in the solution to this.

Howard

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Did you check the fuel filter ? .. possible blockage..

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
subscribed