Rally 12 Driving from TX to Utah

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Its time to see who is in for our next road trip. Mongrel, Spirit and AJ are in so far. Day 1 we can make it to Albuquerque. Most of us are talking about a 2 day run. I looked back and our trips this long in the past were 2 1/2 or 3 days. I'm good either way. anyone else joining in?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I have offered to co-drive round trip with Tomy. So far he's ignoring my offer!

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
+1

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
We could eave from Houston, or go up to our ranch first and meet up around San Antonio/Austin.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm leaving DFW on the 18th, heading up through Denver and on to Jackson, Wy. Watch eclipse on 21st. Then on to SLC on Tues or Weds.
On the way back to Tx on Sunday, stopping in Albuquerque overnight. Staying at Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort, just north of Albuquerque. Hyatt in town is sold out. The resort looks nicer and safe place to park a GT.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've stayed there and it's wonderful and off the beaten track, somewhat secluded! Great New Mexico Resteurant in town!

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Is there any interest in driving through Colorado on the way up and New Mexico on the return trip? We could potentially pick up more forumites along the way, the route distance is similar and terrain is different

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Is there any interest in driving through Colorado on the way up and New Mexico on the return trip? We could potentially pick up more forumites along the way, the route distance is similar and terrain is different

From my house routing through Denver will only add 141 miles. We could stretch the run to 2 1/2 or 3 days and have some fun going up.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
I am duly impressed with the group's enthusiasm for long drives!

I'm in south metro Denver. I need to figure out if I take a little bite out of the drive Tues evening, or do it all with a very early start Wed. Also whether to take the faster more wide open I-80 across WY or the more mountainous crowded I-70 across CO.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

How much of a hurry are you in? Try taking the southern route across Colorado. Assuming you approach from the south, at Walsenburg take 160 to Durango. The road is full of mountain twisty turny fun to drive roads. The drive down from Wolf Creek Pass from east to west is one of the most beautiful landscapes you'll ever see, and it's switchbacks all the way. Then go north towards Grand Junction. Plan a stay in Gateway to stop at the Gateway museum (Hencricks of the Discovery channel museum) and a world class hotel and restaurant. You should be able to make it to Salt lake the next day.

Last edited:

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
How much of a hurry are you in? Try taking the southern route across Colorado. Assuming you approach from the south, at Walsenburg take 160 to Durango. The road is full of mountain twisty turny fun to drive roads. The drive down from Wolf Creek Pass from east to west is one of the most beautiful landscapes you'll ever see, and it's switchbacks all the way. Then go north towards Grand Junction. Plan a stay in Gateway to stop at the Gateway museum (Hencricks of the Discovery channel museum) and a world class hotel and restaurant. You should be able to make it to Salt lake the next day.

We have 3 days max to get there. 450 miles per day. We will probably meet in SA TX next weekend to finalize the route.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Magic has set the route, looks like it's me, Spirit, Magic, and Simon. Anyone else?

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Magic has set the route, looks like it's me, Spirit, Magic, and Simon. Anyone else?

All my TX Rally buddies! Wish I could join ya'll but I have an event in Corpus Christi this weekend. Ya'll drive safe and see ya in Utah!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
All my TX Rally buddies! Wish I could join ya'll but I have an event in Corpus Christi this weekend. Ya'll drive safe and see ya in Utah!

See you in TX in October too. Can't wait to get together

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Drove from Ft. Worth to Denver today. 775 miles. Scenery got better once out of the Texas panhandle. On to Jackson, Wyoming tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 171

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Roll on Ajai.
We head out Monday.
Should be a good drive.
See you next week.

Last edited:

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Safe travels to all...

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Made it from Denver to Jackson Hole. Nice drive across the high plains to the mountains. Staying with friend during the eclipse, then on to SLC Tuesday. See you guys there!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 141

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Cant wait, never had the GT in the mountains

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Great layover with friends in Jackson Hole. Some pics from today's fun. The total eclipse pic was taken with a digital SLR and 300 mm lens/filter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg