Electric cars and the impact on the environment

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
1000 cars/day; record quarter coming up

No OEM has even matched ‘12 Model S range and it’s 2019

More electric cars delivered in 3 days than GM Volts/Bolts in a month

Competition still 3yrs away (range, price, battery)

Charger-network / battery supply is the wall / moat

1.2 Billion data-miles recorded for Auto-Pilot/Shadow-mode v. negligible LiDAR Cruise (MIT)
Lutz even admits gaps / paint are world-class

Crickets 🦗👂

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Uh oh Tesla on the move again. Hope you short sellers don’t lose on this one. Up around 27 points in last two weeks.
We haven’t kicked this horse in awhile, and I’ve been away from the Forum for a few weeks. So let me bump it again.

A few weeks ago, TSLA got to a market value greater than the next 4 or 5 car companies combined!

WTF??? I hope you short sellers didn’t lose too much.

A year or two ago, I suggested that the exit strategy for Musk was to sell Tesla to a major car company and pocket the gains, so he can plow them into some other business.

Not anymore. Now Tesla can work a merger or acquire another major car company outright with a TSLA stock swap or other cashless method (recall the AOL/Time Warner merger 20+ years ago). Then Tesla will have a network of dealers for sales and service. Service is one area that Tesla has sucked at. Maybe GM?

You read it here first.

Reactions: Empty Pockets

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Ist is really interesting how many different Models there are now. Polestar, Porsche, VW, Tesla and more.

For me the Polestar looks quite good, high quality interior, maybe a bit heavy. The taycan a bit too big and expensive, the Model S in serious need of a refresh and much higher interior quality.

Lucid in serious need of service network, but good looking and awesome power.

Wonder when Audi and Porsche will showcase their next electric car.

Anything happening in Detroit lately ?

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Yeah, it's been a year since this thread began but enough time to see real change. Business models aside, I'm very excited about the direction of electric vehicles as an evolution in transportation that keeps cars on the road, not a phase out of the automobile and push towards mass public transportation on buses, trains and bicycles. Here are some upcoming models.

Also very cool are these ideas for less exciting or otherwise dead cars:

Last edited:
Reactions: Brombear

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Since I’m looking to buy a new pickup truck, I’ve been checking out the offerings (although at this point I’ve pretty much decided on a 2021 F150 with 3.0 Diesel engine).

All the manufacturers have plans to sell electric and hybrid pickup trucks and vans. Ford in particular will offer several variants of the F150, including a gas/hybrid in 2021 that will average 24MPG in either city or highway use, and provide a stump-pulling 560lb-ft of torque. They also plan to sell an all-electric version in the next couple years. And their subsidiary Rivian will offer an all electric truck. GM has similar offerings in the pipeline. And the Japanese brands will enter similarly. I didn’t see what Fiat-Chrysler has planned.

But I bring this up because I think Tesla is now running into serious competition in the electric vehicle market. And it’s still trading near its all-time high price, with a market cap near $500B. Which, in my view is the financial equivalent of “Ludicrous mode.” So Tesla better close a deal to buy a major car maker soon, or risk losing that buying power when investors in TSLA come to their senses and realize that it’s not the only game in town. And it’s not even the most competitive offering, especially since the subsidies for Tesla cars from the US Govt have expired.

I’ve given up trying to predict “when” Tesla stock price will return to reality. It seems that there are more “greater fools” out there than any financial analyst thought. But it is coming, and I’ll go back out on that limb here and say it will happen in 2021. I won’t wager much on that, say, lunch?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is Rivian a subsidiary or just a recipient of investment? They just released pricing on their truck a week ago

What are the specs on your 3.0L diesel?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
......And the Japanese brands will enter similarly. I didn’t see what Fiat-Chrysler has planned.

Fiat-Chrysler? I’m guessing electrical fires.

Reactions: GTMD and PeteK

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Fiat-Chrysler? I’m guessing electrical fires.

No...you must be thinking of the soon-to-be-announced Lucas E.V. ;-)

Reactions: PeteK

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Ford invested $500M. I thought that bought controlling interest. I could be wrong. Amazon also invested.

I haven’t seen the specs for the 2021 model, but expect it s the same as the 2019-2020. The 3.0 V-6 diesel is rated at 250HP and 440 lb-ft torque, EPA mileage depends on configuration, but combined rating is 23. Real-world highway is in the upper20’s, or mid to lower 20’s if you drive 80+.

Reactions: 2112

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Everybody wants one - or not -

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

FUNNY