Electric cars and the impact on the environment

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Someone's paying for that--just not the Tesla owners. No such thing as a free lunch, as the ol' saying goes.

Not a mystery. Taxpayers are paying. Just as they do on nearly all the Enviro-scams.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I checked out a Model 3 the other day...meh
Marginal fit and finish for a $70+K D model.
I have a 6 year old Model S. It's been fairly reliable except for when the main shaft snapped in the gearbox. Entire drive unit swapped under warranty. LCD touch screen now has a liquid bubble all along the edges. Tesla would not warranty. My iPad hasn't broken down like that.
I guess I've gotten bored with it. Waiting for Porsche's answer with the Taycan. That will most likely be available in early 2020. In the meanwhile I'm probably going to sell my Tesla as I think it's going to continue depreciating and I'm less motivated to use it as a daily. I guess my love affair is over.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Investors will need to decide between investing in a legitimate car manufacturer or a cult leader. If Jonestown provides any guidance, sometimes the Kool Aid is worse than bad tasting.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...Waiting for Porsche's answer with the Taycan...

Ditto.

Due to the fact we've never owned a hybrid let alone an EV, I intend to lease wifey's Mission e / Taycan so we can simply walk away from it if there are 'issues'. Given it's a Porsche, I doubt there will be any...but, since 'Murphy' has been picking up his mail at our place lately... :bored

My biggest concern, though, is that the bean counters will have messed up the concept car looks/design-wise by the time it actually goes into production. E.g.: I'm 'lovin'-me-some' suicide rear doors and the concept's current interior (they're what sold wifey on the car in the 1st place). If they're messed with to any great extent (buckets front/bench rear...standard rear doors), the Taycan will, at that point, have become pretty much just another 4-door in a large crowd of same...and since neither wifey nor I are rabid 'greenies', that would probably squelch our interest in getting one.

Time will tell...

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Ditto.

Due to the fact we've never owned a hybrid let alone an EV, I intend to lease wifey's Mission e / Taycan so we can simply walk away from it if there are 'issues'. Given it's a Porsche, I doubt there will be any...but, since 'Murphy' has been picking up his mail at our place lately... :bored

My biggest concern, though, is that the bean counters will have messed up the concept car looks/design-wise by the time it actually goes into production. E.g.: I'm 'lovin'-me-some' suicide rear doors and the concept's current interior (they're what sold wifey on the car in the 1st place). If they're messed with to any great extent (buckets front/bench rear...standard rear doors), the Taycan will, at that point, have become pretty much just another 4-door in a large crowd of same...and since neither wifey nor I are rabid 'greenies', that would probably squelch our interest in getting one.

Time will tell...

I hear the suicide doors are gone for production cars. I also have a deposit down on one. What concerns me is the charging from what I hear will only be at Porsche dealers or your own home. I think they will need more than that if they are to succeed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I hear the suicide doors are gone for production cars.

'Best not be. That's THEE singular most unique feature of the car.

'Really hope that's bogus info...

What concerns me is the charging from what I hear will only be at Porsche dealers or own home.

If that's the literal truth it's a deal breaker. Period. End of story. 'Would make 'road trips' in one too much of a hassle...especially if a recharge were necessary on a Sunday in, say, lower Bugtussle, Alabama...and there's no Porsche dealer within 3 light years.

Nuts to that...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, that was quick. Musk will step down as Chairman of Tesla and pay $20M in fines.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/teslas-elon-musk-sec-settle-fraud-charges

I guess when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar and the cookie police lock the jar on your hand your negotiation power goes to zero.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
NOT bogus... read it in a few car magazines and talked to some Porsche employees and they verified the suicide doors are gone.

BC6C3336-7E80-4DD4-A98E-DDE369661565.jpg

Here is some information on their chargers... sounds like they may have some around highways... not sure 160+/- willo be enough for the US highways... guess it depends where they place them.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/16/porsche-ev-charging-network-north-america-mission-e/

Here are some spy photos they say are of the new Taycan close to what it will look like... They screwed it up in my opinion. If this is what it will look like, I'm out.

76C9270E-15DF-449E-AA06-39D973A6F62C.jpeg

BF60819E-FAB4-4980-A416-E359AC61D33E.jpeg

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well then...evidentially the suicide doors are now gone AND (judging from the photo of the red car) they had to mess with the grille a little bit, too (unless what looks like changes are simply shadows). My bet is they've probably messed with the car's interior as well.

At this point things aren't looking at all promising.

(Edit: 'Just saw the photos you added. The black car's nose looks even worse than the one on the red car. I agree with you. If that is what the car will actually look like, we're "out", too.) (WHY couldn't Porsche have just left the concept car alone.)

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
The original Taycan concept looked great. Those spy shots not so much. Regardless, I am sure Porsche will still sell a bunch of them due to nothing more than the electric drivetrain.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Just in time to be ranked one of the worst brands by Consumer Reports
http://www.autonews.com/article/20181024/RETAIL/181029858/

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas

How is this even possible? What about the number of chassis welds?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
A great achievement despite all the problems and the nasayers. Still a long way to go to sort out all the hassles. Let's see how the future is gonna be.

The least that can be said is he has successfully pushed the traditional oems to seriously consider going towards electric and speeding up their schedules. Looking forward to the era of torque (instant and enough).

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Epic!!

Liquidating assets to save up...

If $400K then our GTs will all pop to $300K for entry into GT CLUB

People will dump other non-GT cars to fund this purchase

Once they are on road it's going to be hard to look at other rides in stable....

Gorgeous is just hard to resist

EPIC PICS

selling, liquidating, dumping everything not nailed down or with a pulse

It's freaking gorgeous

Ferrari can't come out with another insect inspired model with 3 tailpipes, with a straight face after this ...

wait till 2nd yr, plenty avail. like last time

Unreal !!!

Selling everything

The '16 GT must be owned !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!

After first 650, that's like first 6 mos of sales

This thing will be at msrp after first 300, it's $100K more and that's even less buyers

Welcome to the inflection point.

There arent that many buyers at $400K

Even at $150K GT's sat on lots til 2007; and that was with a booming economy, real estate, stock, private equity, VC, PE, HF market

What ever it prices at, 6 mo later cars will be dumped and flipped like any other asset.

Talk is cheap; $400K aint.

I'm not buying it.

$400K is a perverse, almost fetishistic price point for a new car with untested collectability, performance and even reliability.

One has no idea where this GT will end up; will it have strange Carrerra GT driving dynamics; weird LFA transmission/whine; SLR sales performance; not age well in looks?

Who knows?

Vast majority of $400K cars I have seen in last 10yrs are sitters; they sit in showrooms, storage warehouses, auction stages, and if lucky valet spots.

$400K is a strange price point and few makers have had success at it.

I saw the '17 Ford GT in person for first time at Petersen Museum Sat.

Its interesting.

It lacks the visceral, stunning, drop dead gorgeous, charisma of '05-'06 FORD GT.

More techno, sterile, skeletal, almost fragile image; with wide ovoid, tapezoidal, somewhat overly flush surface.

The supply of would-be low production exotic vehicle buyers is probably dropping faster than commodities...

Ageing poorly effects values as well; "dated design" with this center-pod, out-board wheels, ponton and over-wought designs cant last.

Well its design is already dated after a year....

This front angle just didnt work for me...all i see is one huge round disk

Rear looked too busy as well with skinny center fuselage

I think when one see it without car show pedestal, bright lights, internet shot angles, liquid blue v. in dim light, on regular floor, awkward thin stripes and in everyday perspective which will be what it looks like in your garage...then one will certainly say I paid $375,000 for this and sales tax of $35,000+ !!!!

Seeing in person is believing.

Nice shots

People in Cali who have seen the new GT at petersen museum / auto shows tell me they think it looks like every other new exotic...

While '05-'06 is Iconic

Unsolicited feedback ...

So much for the nasayers.....

Indeed. Careful who you listen to about their malleable long term prognostications regarding the auto industry.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I wish it was $400,000. :lol

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Welcome to the inflection point.

Indeed. Careful who you listen to about their malleable long term prognostications regarding the auto industry.

Oooh. Brutal! :lol

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...uess-what-everyone-was-wrong-about-tesla/amp/

Have to separate signals from noise; ‘success theatre’ at big 3 is noise.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rh..._cYFQ05UKN5OVYqwzy7turuEyjMsg5IE7xGW-4lX7SDUg

I think this sums up the argument for EVs nicely. Even giving ICE cars every possible advantage, the EV produces less emissions from cradle to grave. As coal becomes less of a factor on our grid, the advantage only grows.