Group Buy Opportunity: Pro-Tint Windshield Tear-Offs for Rally 12

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Hey All!

I just got off the phone with Andrew at Pro-Tint out of North Carolina. I was inquiring about windshield tear-offs for both the road and track day at the Rally. Although I don't have any personal experience with their product, he indicated that he's done a number of 2017 Ford GTs and was recently in Michigan installing them. He said that they are a great option for both road and tack events and can install them with whatever number of layers you need (typical is 4). I asked him about clarity/distortion as well as any issues with polarized sunglasses and he said that he has never heard of any complaints--of course I always take that with a grain of salt. Another benefit is that once your done with them, they tear off easily without any residue.

He's interested in coming to the first day of the Rally, August 23rd, to install them for us assuming we can get 6 or more GTs lined up for the install and he could probably swing a break in price if we were to get more than 6 GTs signed up. Usual cost without any price break is $100/layer so for a 4 layer install would be $400 (includes product and install).

I can tell you that I'm very interested in this option since I won't have the opportunity to have my ClearPlex installed before the Rally and even if I did, the tear-off functionality for a track day is attractive.

Is anyone else interested? If you are, let me know on this thread and I can see if I can make something happen! :wink

Seth Thomas

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Nice of you to do this :thumbsup

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Nice of you to do this :thumbsup

Not a problem at all. Just want to help the forum members and protect our beautiful beasts!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Are you talking old GTs or new ones? I've got window skin on for years.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Are you talking old GTs or new ones? I've got window skin on for years.

Sorry, should have clarified. I think they can do either '05/06 or '17 GTs. They can make them for either. I have an '06.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/33847-Track-Time

Here is a photo of the 4 layer system on NJS NGT.

Ed

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/33847-Track-Time

Here is a photo of the 4 layer system on NJS NGT.

Ed

Exactly. That is the specific thread that got me thinking and shopping around. Anyone interested in getting an install at the Rally?

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
will have two (05, 06) at rally Any idea of price?

Jim

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
will have two (05, 06) at rally Any idea of price?

Jim

Cool! Yes, the price I was quoted was $100/layer installed. So 2 layers = $200, 3 = $300, etc. I'll probably either get a 3 or 4 layer if we get enough people that want to sign up. We need at least 6 GTs for them to come out to the rally.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
I am interested. Well worth saving the original glass. I believe there are a lot of stones on the roads up there. Only bringing one car. Thanks for your efforts.
4 Layers Please. Thanks.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I did 6 layers on the 2017. It is not what I would consider a permanent solution as far as set it on and forget about it. There is distortion in the film, but that said I drove about 40 miles the other night and I never thought about or noticed it after I left the garage. You will notice it for sure when you get in your car the first time.

To me, the appeal is the ability to tear off. I will likely remove a layer after we drive on day 1 at the Rally just to assess the impact removing the layer has. I noticed a big difference between the cars with 6 layers vs. 4. It's a VERY thick material if you have 6 layers on. I think each layer is 4 mils, so even 4 layers is basically 2x what a normal clear bra is. To me, having replaced my 06 windshield previously, it's worth dealing with the distortion to peel away and not have a pitted or chipped up glass underneath.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Thanks for the first-hand experience Dave! That confirms what I was thinking. Well worth the cost to avoid paying for a windshield replacement and the ability to tear off the layers is a huge benefit even if it isn't a permanent solution.

Here's who I have so far:

GTMD
Jim (Anya) -- maybe 2
68Rcodeman

Tentatively up to 4. Anybody else interested? The more I can confirm, the more leverage I have in negotiating a price.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I'd like a 4 layer install on my '06 GT at the Rally. Thanks.

Chip

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Awesome! Thanks Chip.

Tentatively up to 5:

GTMD
Jim (Anya) -- maybe 2
68Rcodeman
ChipBeck

Anyone else?

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
would you get protection with a couple of layers? I am not planning on tracking the car hard. That said, I picked up a tiny chip at the rally in Austin. And it bugs me.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Anything is better than nothing. I noticed the most annoying damage on my 06 windshield was more like a fine sandblasting than it was big rock chips. High speed and low windshields will do that.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
I would also like to have this installed (4 layer,'05 GT). Thank you for checking out the possibility of installs and pricing at the Rally GTMD!

Last edited:

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
Mine is actually a 6 layer -- I went that route because I intend to see some significant track time. With 6 layers, there is a slight haze and a very minor ripple IF you focus on the screen rather than the objects ahead. I'm sure with 4 layers the product would be virtually invisible.

The product comes pre-laminated in either 4 layers or 2 and they recommended 4 for street and occasional track use.

Really pleased with it -- my other track cars had pitted screens, not something I wanted to risk on the GT.

After a day at the track the tire rubber and bug marks just wiped off with no pitting of the film visible yet.

Last edited:

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Awesome. Thank you for the update. :thumbsup Please put me down for a 4 layer.

Bruce

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
It sounds like we'll clear the minimum. I'll get at least the 2-layer (and may upsize).