Time for new classes

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Perhaps it is now the right time to make changes to not only how BoP is applied, but also add new classes.

Such as one for Turbo cars, and another for naturally aspirated ones.

Set a standard in a given allowable range at the onset of a new season during homologation, slight changes could be allowed at a predetermined time, but applied and allowed by all competitors in the class, such as for safety concerns. As it is, it flies in the face of engineering, research and development of those who invest (and heavily at that) in new innovations.

I am of opinion the NFGT is by far one of the most innovative cars out there today, why should it be hamstrung because of it and the lesser competition? An example of this is there is a mid engine Corvette in the works, yet the C7 is highly competitive, yes the new car is unproven,
(we all know the lesson Enzo had to learn when the GT40s showed up, where the engine should really be) and most likely it will out perform the old platform and therefore should be in a different class, or do you via BoP penalize the latest design once again to let the old system to be competitive. Makes more sense to take hard look at this and make changes.

Thats my 2 cents. Many here have already forgotten more then I probably will ever know on this complicated subject, but please weigh in,
Maybe the powers that be will see a collective opinion on this and get things stirring in the right direction.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Did you discuss this with your dad? I'm sure he would spank you for this insolence. How can IMSA be wrong?

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Did you discuss this with your dad? I'm sure he would spank you for this insolence. How can IMSA be wrong?

:lol

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
I liked it better when you could build a faster car, bike, or boat, and win with it.

BOP seems to me like reverse incentive.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Eddie, since you made a living by racing for awhile, what would you recommend to replace BOP but still promote competition in the class?

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Has the last couple years been the worse for drastic BOP differences? I've never really paid attention to it till the FGT release. When was bop implemented?