ClearPlex

tgilbert

GT Owner
Feb 25, 2012
Tampa
Do you have any left for sale?

I've had clearplex on my windshield for several years now and it is great! However, I wonder about damage to it if I were to have to use my wipers in the rain ... does anyone have any experience with this? How long does it take to scratch the clearplex if it's raining steadily? Is the damage instantaneous or does it take a few hours etc?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
No damage. Unless there is grit on the wiper blade. Then the damage is on the first stroke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've had mine on for 11years and minimal scratching. I have used toothpaste to clean it.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
I've had mine on for 11years and minimal scratching. I have used toothpaste to clean it.

11 years without brushing your teeth???

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have more than one tube of toothpaste.

No damage. Unless there is grit on the wiper blade. Then the damage is on the first stroke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

But if you're driving in the rain (especially following traffic), it seems that grit is guaranteed to get on the windshield while the wipers are in operation. Or is it just that the blades need to be clean before use, but during use it doesn't matter?

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Do you have any left for safle?

Sorry they are all spoken for. If there is enough interest I could get a group buy together but we would need another 20-25 people.

Like Frank's mine has been on for 11 years and has no scratches but many nicks from rocks. Got another hard hit on Sunday but the Glass is fine, only a wound in the film. I have driven my car many times in the rain but stay out of the spray from the car in front. Clearplex sells a spray on conditioner that helps repell water, similar to RainX, and with that you seldom need to turn the wipers on as it sheds water.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
But if you're driving in the rain (especially following traffic), it seems that grit is guaranteed to get on the windshield while the wipers are in operation. Or is it just that the blades need to be clean before use, but during use it doesn't matter?

Clean before use reduces damage.

Consider that Clearplex is dirt cheap compared to a new windshield. It is an expendable wear item.

Even if the pre-formed sheets are not available, an experienced installer can use flat sheet.

In addition to the Clearplex spray, you can use Rejex. Much cheaper and does the same thing as far as conditioning. Neither are nearly as good as RainX for water repellancy IMO, but you're not supposed to use RainX.

Care instructions:

cp1.JPG

cp2.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! That's the kind of info I was looking for.

I have been unable to find ANY source for the Clearplex rain repellent spray (Clear X?), including the manufacturer. In fact, the mfg doesn't return phone calls, either. And, their web site is terrible. Is there a source? I can get Rejex, which contains petroleum distillates, which are specifically forbidden to use (see above ClearPlex instructions).

Ideas? Help?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
There is no such thing as Clearplex rain repellent spray to my knowledge. There is a Clearplex conditioner, which makes no rain repellency claims.

Please show me where Rejex is forbidden. I only see RainX.

I have not seen Rejex myself (no one within 50 miles of me carries it, I have to order it) but I read a review that said it contains petroleum distillates. As you know, the Clearplex instructions posted above say not to use anything that contains such distillates. Perhaps the review I read was wrong, but I don't have any info to that effect and am trying to be very careful! I did find Rain-X Plastic Water Repellent for sale but don't know what's in it.

As far as Clearplex repellent spray is concerned, see Not 4N's reply above (#48), that's what I was referring to in my post and trying to find - but I couldn't find any treatment at all on the Clearplex site.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It says cleaning solutions. Rejex is a sealant. Whatever. I've been using Rejex for years on Clearplex.

I guess the point is, if you are looking for a RainX type product for water repellency, I have not found one.

If you want to seal the Clearplex, use the Clearplex product or Rejex.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I've been using Rejex on my clear plex for over 10 years. I have a whole sale acct with Clear Plex and now they send a private label repackage of Rejex called ClearX or something like that. I'll take a picture.

I use Rejex as my car wax also. It will clean surfaces. I just used some at the rally to clean off some rubber spots and the exhaust staining on the back of my 2017. It has some mild solvent properties.. I use it on the glass also . I like much better than Rainx on normal glass,

You can get Rejex on line or at local hardware store. Ace or True value used to carry Rejex.

Last edited:
I am most interested to see that photo of "ClearX"! It would be useful also to see the ingredient list and to learn where it can be bought ...

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Vincent,

I got it from my installer and this is what it looks like. Its called ClearX HD

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...onWAhUC4mMKHRM6BsAQMwgsKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am most interested to see that photo of "ClearX"! It would be useful also to see the ingredient list and to learn where it can be bought ...

It looks smells and tastes like Rejex. it has the same application process. I am going to get a confirmation from my rep.. I would stake my reputation that it is Rejex..
I can also clearly state with full confidence I've had clear plex on my GT longer than anyone. I've got the first one they ever made for a Ford GT ( Jan 2007) and it still on my car.. I've also used Rejex on it from the beginning ...

As stated before. You can buy rejex online or can be found at many local hardware stores.. over and out..

Attachments

• 20170903_214555.jpg
    20170903_214555.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 20170903_214610.jpg
    20170903_214610.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20170903_214633.jpg
    20170903_214633.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 122
Verrry interrresting ... as Sgt. Schultz used to say (I'm giving away my age). :wink

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Verrry interrresting ... as Sgt. Schultz used to say (I'm giving away my age). :wink

Hey.. no worries. I grew up with that stuff also along with Gilligan's Island and all that other fun stuff we had back in the day...:biggrin

Clear Plex sends me the small bottles when I order the bulk film. .10-4 good buddy...

Attachments

• 20170903_222152.jpg
    20170903_222152.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 116