Bluetooth adapters for the Mac radio

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I have a black berry Bluetooth module I plan on installing to stream audio. This unit is powered by a mini USB and has a headphone jack output. Has anyone else done a similar install? I would also like to power it up behind the radio. Any suggestions where i should tap into a switched 12v+? I was thinking right at the radios harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Also, could anyone share a link to removing the radio? I can't seem to find one on the forum. Thanks,
Kevin

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
There is a RCA jack in the back of the radio. I ran a long cord with 3mm jack to fit various players/phone. IDK about power

You need special tool to remove radio

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Does anyone have a pic of the special tool? Is it the U shaped one or a flat key?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Here you go. PN 415-003
e07848742670b1b4a7b2ea1714029c9c.jpg

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Here you go.
e07848742670b1b4a7b2ea1714029c9c.jpg

Awesome, thanks!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
DO NOT CONNECT 12V to your Device! USB power is a special part of USB handshake and is at 5V. If you put 12V on the device you will let all of the smoke out of it. As you know high pressure smoke sealed in electronic devices is what really makes them work. Let the smoke out and they stop working.

What you need is a USB socket. You're not going to find a USB socket anywhere in the GT. The closest thing you could come to it is getting a cigarette lighter socket USB plug and hard wiring it in behind the dash Try to tap power from the front power jack (cigarette lighter shaped power tap where you also plug in the battery tender. you'll have to disassemble the lighter plug and solder wires onto it, be careful to short-circuit-proof the connections. Black tape deteriorates and you don't want to start a fire in 3 years because something shorted out. Tie it down with tie wraps behind the radio along with your converter widget. How do you control it? You might have to leave it out in order to use it. You might be able to thread the cables out and leave it in the little pocket over by the passenger foot area.

PS. The removal tool is a standard DIN removal tool that can be bought in almost auto supply parts store and some places like Frys or Best Buy in their audio department.

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I ordered a JL Audio Bluetooth Module. It will connect to your smartphone upon power up. It can be hidden behind the radio. Installation is pretty simple. I'll post a performance review once it's installed.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13691...a&awnw=g&awcr=65372638345&awdv=m&awug=9025210

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Way cool! I love it when people invent simple useful products.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Yep, a cheap upgrade to get our cars into the modern era. I've used similar modules before, and in addition to streaming music, you can use them for hands free phone conversations too.

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
nice, where do you get power from?

I ordered a JL Audio Bluetooth Module. It will connect to your smartphone upon power up. It can be hidden behind the radio. Installation is pretty simple. I'll post a performance review once it's installed.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13691...a&awnw=g&awcr=65372638345&awdv=m&awug=9025210

Reactions: Redfire03

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
My plan is to use the switched 12v+ and ground feeding the radio.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Also, could anyone share a link to removing the radio? I can't seem to find one on the forum. Thanks,
Kevin

Blue tape around the head unit. Pry the silver trim pieces off. Slide the tools in..."handle" side out...until they lock. Pull head unit out by the tool handles.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Way cool. It would be so great to connect the iPhone with wireless connection.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Way cool. It would be so great to connect the iPhone with wireless connection.
I agree, great idea!

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Will this work in a standard radio?

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Kevin,

Thanks for posting this. Interested to see how it works out for you.:thumbsup

Bruce

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Will this work in a standard radio?

Does the standard radio have an Aux input?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is a file here somewhere (probably archives) with the owner's manual for the stNdard radio.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm just curious, but why not just use a Bluetooth headset?