Bluetooth adapters for the Mac radio

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Neither of the original radios supported Bluetooth. I don't think Bluetooth was widely used in these applications in time for products in 2005.

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I'm just curious, but why not just use a Bluetooth headset?
The main reason is to stream music from my phone. The hands free calling would be a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Please take some photos of how you wire it.

It sounds like bluetooth will be a more elegant solution than the "easy way"...a 3.5mm jack plugged into the RCA cables. The easy way works well though. Tuck the jack cable into the hole in the console when not using it.

20170705_110316-2.jpg

20170705_110400-2.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I agree with Gary. The rca jacks make hook up very easy and I have access to everything I need. Depending on your exhaust system, this may all be a moot point.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I've been using the RCA jacks to a 3.5mm plug cable for the past 3 years, and it works fine for just listening to music. But it makes mounting the phone or putting it in a cupholder or my shirt pocket more awkward, and I always have to plug/unplug it when I get out of the car. I just ordered the JL Bluetooth adapter to avoid the cable hassle.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
c6ef7829fab5cd4a4e5ae590317ea602.jpg

b7e73045df8fd791230dd27b75ae27cf.jpg

I installed the JL module today. It was pretty straight forward and it syncs with my phone automatically once paired. The audio is clear and volume is loud.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
It looks like you used the yellow/black wire for power. Is that the switched power source? It also looks like the black wire is ground, correct? Since I'm about to do the same, it'll save me a little time perusing the wiring diagrams.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
It looks like you used the yellow/black wire for power. Is that the switched power source? It also looks like the black wire is ground, correct? Since I'm about to do the same, it'll save me a little time perusing the wiring diagrams.

Yellow/black tested out as the only switched 12v+, but there are 3 wires a pink/blue stripe, brown/blue stripe, or black/white stripe all showing 12v- so to be safe, I put the ground on a ring terminal to the chassis.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Yellow/black tested out as the only switched 12v+, but there are 3 wires a pink/blue stripe, brown/blue stripe, or black/white stripe all showing 12v- so to be safe, I put the ground on a ring terminal to the chassis.

I need you to come do mine now!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I'm not free, but I'm cheap...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Sounds a like a cool mod!

Ed

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
You invigorated me to do the same . Parts coming next week. Want to complete before the rally. any technical tips on removing the radio, the wire tap products you used etc appreciated. thanks.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Not Bluetooth but this works amazingly well.

c386e8b9d2e22b20e51f43e6ad27e59a.png

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
You invigorated me to do the same . Parts coming next week. Want to complete before the rally. any technical tips on removing the radio, the wire tap products you used etc appreciated. thanks.

I always try to be minimally invasive, especially when it comes to a cars wiring harness. I chose an in line wire tap since the amp draw is negligible and it doesn't cut the wire. I did this only for the switched 12v+. As for the ground, I used a crimp ring terminal to the radio chassis. I could uninstall the unit in 10 minutes with no damage to the car. Like someone else said in this post, use plenty of blue painters tape to protect all of the aluminum surfaces. I even wrapped my small flat head screwdriver with tape that I used to pop off the little aluminum side pieces to the radio.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I just installed it. After dropping a small screw a couple times and having to fish it out with a magnetic pickup, the hardest part was stuffing all the excess wire in behind the radio where it wouldn't interfere. I used the yellow/black wire to get the switched 12V, and crimped a small ring on the black wire from the unit and screwed it to the back of the radio using a screw already located above the antenna socket. I put the unit on the passenger side of the center console, so I can see the blue LED that indicates pairing. I did not stick it to the inside of the console using the double stick tape (which is already installed on the Bluetooth unit) because there isn't a good flat surface to stick it to. Right now, it's positioned just inside the hole on the passenger side of the console so I can see the LED when I lean over the tunnel. I'll try to stick it in place permanently after I've experimented a bit more.

Here's an idea: For those of you who want to install one of these gadgets, bring it to Utah, and one of us will help you do it.

It works great on playing music, and it mutes when I get an incoming call. It does not put the call through to the car's speakers though. I'll have to search the JL website and see if there's a way to do that.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I bought this to try. Works great. Mutes the radio for calls, makes calls, and music sounds great. Very impressed. I just ordered 2 more for other vehicles! Yes I do like my Mac especially with pandora!

50373c32542693b7ef7a320b0b9f9cc8.png

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
One thing I like about the JL bluetooth adapter is the sound quality. It sounds almost as good as a CD when the car is sitting still (of course once you're moving at any appreciable speed, the road and wind noise make that moot). The FM adapter has to convert the signal to FM to be received by the McIntosh radio. I suspect a fair amount of sound degradation. What say ye?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
The line in is always the best way to go. The radio transmitter way is the easiest to go.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I live in a densely populated area with very few open FM channels and agree about the sound quality. Bluetooth with AUX is the best transmission quality. Another tip: when playing music through Bluetooth, set your phone's volume around 90% and the music will be clearer than if it is set to 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
Does the standard radio have an Aux input?

I hadn't seen this thread til now, but thought I'd answer for future searches.

No, the back of the standard radio has no inputs at all. It does have RCA outs that you could use for an outboard amp.

So I went with an FM transmitter to use my phone-music for the Rally, and it worked better than expected.