Washing the new 2017 FGT ?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Just got done giving my 2006 FGT a good hose and suds wash in the driveway.
While washing , drying and spray waxing , I always notice the intricate areas , louvers, vents etc.

Has anyone with the New GT given their car a bath yet..?
I suspect it will be even more intricate.

andy (ajb)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sounds like you need a trip to the garage mahal and beg someone to do it for them.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I rarely ever wash my GT with a hose. Occasionally I'll rinse off the wheels and "dirtiest" areas.
A good cleaner and lots of clean towels. Ed Sims might chime in. I think he never uses a hose.

I'm not sure what Ford is recommending for the new FGT so this is a good question.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I just ran my new GT thru the Flagstaff Speedi-Go-and-Gas-Mart Cleaning tunnel. Well, would have but the tires wouldn't fit in the track. Had a friend insist helping me on detailing it with AMMO products with the 3-4 levels of "stuff". It has a LOT of surface area and takes a long time. And a lot of engine area open vents. Ready to put on the ppf film and clearplex next week (was told by Ford to wait 3 weeks before paint protection film for offgassing). Ol' Blu has been hosed down and washed lots (dozens, maybe hundreds ) of times. A foaming suds dewaxer, several layers of priming and prep stuff, and a carnuba wax final do look good on the NFGT. Will film it and apply another carnuba wax (was the professional suggestion). Lots of towels (microfiber of course) are called for- and moistened, never dry, is something I just learned.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I just got through washing and waxing my cars also, I have used water and a sud gun on the cars before and did so this time as well. if there is concern over water getting into all the cracks it is easily removed with some compressed air or a leaf blower, I have used both. sometime the car is too dirty (if you drive it ) not to use water and only try to wipe it down. sometime the wheels are so filthy that only proper way to get them really clean is to use lots of water and soap and a heavy brush to get all the brake dust and gunk off the wheels and brakes. I usually take one day to wash the car throughly and dry it and Ill come back the to polish or wax as needed on the next day(I guess I'm getting too old to do everything in one day) including any treatment on the plastic trim, tires, windows vacuum etc.etc. my last efforts

Attachments

• IMG_1808.jpg
    IMG_1808.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 495

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
FlagstaffGT and others who have taken delivery of their New GT's is it necessary to wait 3 weeks before applying XPel due to this (offgassing) situation on all paints or is it just certain metallic paints Ford uses? My GT is due any time and the XPel people are wanting to cover the entire car as soon as I receive it. Here in this part of Texas we are already seeing temperatures in the mid to high 90's and high humidity already. Any advise would be helpful as to clear coating GT paint. My color will be Frozen white with lightning blue stripe. We do have very good roads and highways in this area so driving the New GT for 2-3 weeks before having it clear covered is not that critics as it might be in some parts of the country. I do know that some paints have a more criticle paint process than others. Thanks.

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
Ford does a monsoon test in which the new GT is bombarded with 600 gallons of water from every possible angle and you are afraid to hose down the car? LOL.
[video]https://youtu.be/ldwn-uRudVs?t=12m4s[/video]

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
FlagstaffGT and others who have taken delivery of their New GT's is it necessary to wait 3 weeks before applying XPel due to this (offgassing) situation on all paints or is it just certain metallic paints Ford uses? My GT is due any time and the XPel people are wanting to cover the entire car as soon as I receive it. Here in this part of Texas we are already seeing temperatures in the mid to high 90's and high humidity already. Any advise would be helpful as to clear coating GT paint. My color will be Frozen white with lightning blue stripe. We do have very good roads and highways in this area so driving the New GT for 2-3 weeks before having it clear covered is not that critics as it might be in some parts of the country. I do know that some paints have a more criticle paint process than others. Thanks.

T,
I'd bet the car has been painted for much longer than 3 weeks already hasn't it?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Yo may be right although I can't seem to get any verification of it at this time!????

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
I always bathe my cars with copious quantities of water and suds. The clearcoat on the 2005 and 2006 models seems to be a lot 'softer ' than the new clear coats.
My rule of thumb has always been... "Never let anything dry ever touch your paint."

andy (ajb)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I almost always dry wash the GT. A proper dry wash system will not hurt the paint anymore than washing with water. It's a personal preference. Water spots in many areas are hard to avoid even with air. I usually remove the wheels when I clean the car.

Ed

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
I almost always dry wash the GT. A proper dry wash system will not hurt the paint anymore than washing with water. It's a personal preference. Water spots in many areas are hard to avoid even with air. I usually remove the wheels when I clean the car.

Ed
Ed: Is that your GT in the DuPont Registry?

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Too many scoops and vents that are not designed for washing or being driven in rain. Don't wash them or they'll melt.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
I am Not worried at all about melting.:):) I will suds and water wash the the car regularly. I know you have a lot of experience with the new FGT and several have been delivered. I am looking at the exposed hydraulics for the wing,(how best to wash) the lengthy "tunnel" and buttress area(may need an extension wand just to reach all areas) , underside of door that is only exposed when open(waterm carefully) etc..
Just planning ahead...
Andy (ajb)