Jun 7, 2007
The passing of an American success story:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/vic-edelbrock-jr-1936-2017

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I spoke with Vic and his daughter several times at Sonoma Raceway when they were doing the historic Trans Am races. Seemed like a down to earth guy.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Another iconic American motor sports legend passes on.. God Speed Mr. Edelbrock !! May you Rest in peace....

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I'll always remember speaking with him at a P.R.I. show years ago. with an attitude, I asked him why he wasn't making the aluminum FE heads as promised. he put his hand on my shoulder and asked me "are you a business man?" I said yes. he then said "I'm running 3 shifts 24 hours a day making aluminum small block Chevy heads. would you shut that down to make a few hundred sets of FE heads?" we both go a good laugh out of that one. nice guy and very talented.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I wonder how many FGT Forum members bought his stuff. I had a Torker intake on my 69 Camaro SS350 & my 73 Pantera.

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I wonder how many FGT Forum members bought his stuff. I had a Torker intake on my 69 SS350 & my 73 Pantera.

I'm sure there are MANY of us. I run Performer RPM intake manifolds on my 383 and 440 Mopars, and just put a set of their aluminum RPM heads on my son's 383 in his '68 Charger, and am very impressed. I do tend to prefer Holley-style carbs over their AVS/AFB style carbs, though.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I'll always remember speaking with him at a P.R.I. show years ago. with an attitude, I asked him why he wasn't making the aluminum FE heads as promised. he put his hand on my shoulder and asked me "are you a business man?" I said yes. he then said "I'm running 3 shifts 24 hours a day making aluminum small block Chevy heads. would you shut that down to make a few hundred sets of FE heads?" we both go a good laugh out of that one. nice guy and very talented.

Just curious, Was this quite a while ago? I would consider the Edlebrock FE head to be the most common aluminum FE head for years now, even tho it is by far not the best performing.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I bought several major parts for building a Ford 351 Windsor engine years ago, and a carb, water injector, and other stuff over the years.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Just curious, Was this quite a while ago? I would consider the Edlebrock FE head to be the most common aluminum FE head for years now, even tho it is by far not the best performing.
I agree with what you're saying about the FE head popularity from edlebrock but I will take a very wild guess and say there are 500X the amount of small block Chevy heads vs. FE heads produced by Edelbrock. just sayin

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I agree with what you're saying about the FE head popularity from edlebrock but I will take a very wild guess and say there are 500X the amount of small block Chevy heads vs. FE heads produced by Edelbrock. just sayin

Just 500x? More like 500,000x :lol But I agree with you 100%

I respected Edlebrock parts, and He was a prince of a guy.

But if you are all about Ford, with the exception of a few intake manifolds, there were always better aftermarket parts available from Ford dedicated suppliers that were better in every regard (but price) than the Edlebrock products. Epecially FE heads.

Edlebrock was about Chevy 1st, Mopar 2nd and Ford a very, very distant 3rd.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Just 500x? More like 500,000x :lol But I agree with you 100%

I respected Edlebrock parts, and He was a prince of a guy.

But if you are all about Ford, with the exception of a few intake manifolds, there were always better aftermarket parts available from Ford dedicated suppliers that were better in every regard (but price) than the Edlebrock products. Epecially FE heads.

Edlebrock was about Chevy 1st, Mopar 2nd and Ford a very, very distant 3rd.

Interesting changes over the years, as many of their earlier parts were for flat heads. SBC didn't exist then. Don Garlitz museum in Florida has many of the early items from Edelbrock for flat heads. In the day Don was one of the test/track users of their equipment. I was surprised how many variations there have been manufactured.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Jeff,

I thought it was Vic Sr. who was the Flathead guy and as the story is told, Vic Jr. knew, as mentioned above, that the SBC was the future and changed the direction of the company when he took over after his dad's passing.

But I am just repeating what I have read elsewhere.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Jeff,

I thought it was Vic Sr. who was the Flathead guy and as the story is told, Vic Jr. knew, as mentioned above, that the SBC was the future and changed the direction of the company when he took over after his dad's passing.

But I am just repeating what I have read elsewhere.

Yes Vic sr. was behind the flat head equipment. Didn't mean to imply Jr. was involved. He wasn't old enough then!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Yes Vic sr. was behind the flat head equipment. Didn't mean to imply Jr. was involved. He wasn't old enough then!

Over the last 20 or so years spent many an hour with him at the Pacific NW Historic races. In addition to Edlebrock's drag and street equipment Vic was very involved in vintage road racing. After the Seattle races, the family would head up to BC whee they have a home for vacation time and lots of fishing. Very cool dude.