S7 maiden voyage at COTA....

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I finally got the S7 back from Moorespeed. They have been working on restoring the car to its prime as this car had sat for years after the passing of the AE racing founders. They were mid rebuild when they passed, so the car was thrown back together and sold through the probate court. This car is the TT mule for Saleen and unbelievably beautiful and radical in person. It makes f40's look pedestrian. I was very proud to get her back on track at COTA this month and thought I'd share a couple pics. The car still needs some work, most notably an ECU swap to get past the Achilles heal of this car. FWIW it dynoed 450rwhp, a far cry from its claimed 750 bhp. I believe most of the power loss is due to the engine rebuild which changed the compression to 9.0:1. Also the tires were 6 years old and it felt like I was skidding in the esses at speed, we will have that fixed for next time. But overall a great shakedown, no leaks, smoke, or major problems other than the wipers moving on my on the back straight. The wind would push them to 12 o'clock! So I took it pretty easy overall, but had a blast and felt proud to return her to the track.

Anyway, enjoy the pics!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sa4npgh6jc2uun3/AAA05X5ErYMXHeRT9VutxGA6a?dl=0

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
good stuff..!! thanks for sharing !!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Cool, we have something in common, I have a mustang from the AE collection, luckily bought it prior the event.

Thanks for sharing the pix, the S7 is a strange itch, Id like to scratch, but doubt I ever will. Be curious of your opinion of the car after its sorted. I know there have been many posts here that are not exactly "glowing"

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Terrific! Thanks for sharing.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
nice car!

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Awesome, which stang did you buy? SA-10? He had a stellar collection of fox bodies. As for the S7, I always thought it was beautiful, and being a ford/stang guy, Saleen always had a high regard in my mind. I started looking for an S7 years ago, and thought fair value was in the 300's ( back then). I got close on one TT in Houston but it had been wrecked so I passed. Couple years later, values skyrocketed and I thought I missed my chance, then this one popped up. I too had heard the lackluster reviews of the S7. But when this one popped up I knew I had to take a chance. The price was right, it was rare, good ownership history, and it was beautiful. And boy I'm glad I did. Pedal box is a common complaint, I wear a size 9.5 and have zero problems with the pedals. I really like them, perfect for tracking. The other complaint is the ECU and leaks. When they were fixing my car, we had idle problems and power problems. All fixed with a plug and play AEM infinity for a few grand. The leaks were numerous but we found them all eventually. All in I probably have $20K to fix the car and its worth it IMO. If I had the time to wrench, I could have fixed them. And if my car was NA or hadnt been rebuilt, chances are I could keep limping on the stock ecu. Overall, the driving experience is like driving a racecar but with a softer suspension. Good vis out the front, well balanced so far but really it was hard to push on the old tires. I was skating everywhere, just couldn't get the tires to temp. On the street I think it is smooth enough, pot holes wont break your spine. Handling is stellar, but verrry heavy. Heaviest I've ever driven. Great feedback, especially at the track. Overall, its a great car. I love it, it had some factory issues that need repair, but so do many of the great cars over time imo. I think its an icon and will stay that way over time. When I brought that car out, I was in the garage at the end of the pit and no one had stopped by to see my e36 track rat. When the S7 arrived, I was the center of that pit lane, its a celebrity and word spread quick! I was getting random calls and text from people saying they heard the s7 was at the track, that never happened in my other cars!

Anyway, enough of my salesmanship, if you're ever in Austin come stop by we will go for a spin.

Cheers,
Cavan

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Im up there for work this Saturday?! I would love a ride!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Amazingly they actually has 2 SA-10's, and we not for sale at the time. I actually started the dialog about a 93R, but could never get a price (they didnt make doing business with them super easy). Was able to buy their 04 Saleen Mystichrome Cobra vert. Was too bad about the 93R, as later (still before the event), they sent it to an auction, and only got $4x,xxx for it, which I would have actually paid if not more (I didnt know until after it went).

Great to read your excitement and validation of the car! Wonder what will ever happen to the left over S7 assets that were sold at auction, that Saleen bought back. Yes they have advertised they a car is available for $1m, but Im guessing there might not be many takers at that price point. I would love to take you up on the offer, as I never got a chance in the one they were giving rides in at R1. Keep us posted when you take it out to the track again!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Daytrayd,

The S7 may be problematic, but it's really beautiful. Striking from every angle. I sat in a new yellow S7 at Rally 1 and wasn't too taken. But the looks of that Saleen have grown on me over the last decade. Please keep posting up with photos as you sort out your S7. Very cool.

Chip

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Really cool car. Always loved the look of the S7. Congrats.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Amazingly they actually has 2 SA-10's, and we not for sale at the time. I actually started the dialog about a 93R, but could never get a price (they didnt make doing business with them super easy). Was able to buy their 04 Saleen Mystichrome Cobra vert. Was too bad about the 93R, as later (still before the event), they sent it to an auction, and only got $4x,xxx for it, which I would have actually paid if not more (I didnt know until after it went).

Great to read your excitement and validation of the car! Wonder what will ever happen to the left over S7 assets that were sold at auction, that Saleen bought back. Yes they have advertised they a car is available for $1m, but Im guessing there might not be many takers at that price point. I would love to take you up on the offer, as I never got a chance in the one they were giving rides in at R1. Keep us posted when you take it out to the track again!

I remember reading about that car, a rare stallion! 1 of 1 I believe? Congrats! Yeah I'm curious if Saleen actually sells or builds any of them. I actually reached out to them about the final S7's and they never even responded to my inquiry. Oh well, I wasnt too serious, was actually trying to feel them out on the upgrades and if they'd do the same to mine to keep it "factory" since the ECU is crap on the old ones. Just let me know when you head this way so you can check her out, hopefully it will be fully sorted in the next month or so.

And thanks for the compliments Chip and the guys. It really is a looker, to me its a timeless design that almost mirrors the F1. Hope to have more pics after the dyno and next track session!

Cheers!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Great pictures.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yeah it's the only one. They did 3 mystichrome Cobras but the other 2 were coupes.

I'm not surprised at all that's they never got back to you on the S7. Seems to be more the norm, than the exception. Will enjoy seeing your progress.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I've always loved the look of the S7. Congrats and thanks for posting this.

Vince H

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Cavan,

Looks good bud, glad to see you've got it sorted out for the most part. It's a nice way to bond with the car.

Life is good,

Lance

dshears

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 26, 2009
Fremont Ca
Beautiful looking toy.