Driving without the two rear belly pans?

After 26,000 miles my engine compartment needs a thorough cleaning, and to do that I need to remove the belly pans, do the wash and clean, and then I'd like to drive the car a bit (not at high speed, just around town) so it dries out completely. Is there a problem doing that? IDK if the pans are structural and required ....

Thanks!
David

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I was advised that there is no issue as long as they are all removed. I was recommended not to drive with some on and others off.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The pans are not structural. For a leisurely drive around the block to dry things out there should be no problem.

Please take an inventory of all the things that drop out when you take them off. I know that my pans are going to be something like coins in the couch when I pull it for the oil change. I know of at least one socket and a bolt that are living there.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Why? Take a leaf blower and dry it out with that. Rocks and debris can get caught up there even at low speed and cause you problems.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
I while ago I had a mouse take up residence somewhere in the pans (sounded like a squirrel running around) so after traps at the wheels didn't work I took the pans off and went for an aggressive lap around my usual 20 mile circuit in the hills. No problems with the pans off even at speed, but the dang mouse had a pretty good grip and didn't get caught for a couple more days. Fortunately no harm done to the hoses or harness's.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would advise not to drive the car over about 90 mph with the middle belly pan off but the rear one on.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
like twoshelbys said, adds no structural integrity whatsoever. Rich did me an oil change a couple months back and handed me a box with 2 bolts and 2 sockets. I asked what this was, he said it was the gifts I dropped in the engine bay at one time. I always wondered where those sockets went!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would advise not to drive the car over about 90 mph with the middle belly pan off but the rear one on.

Knowing how the air flow pattern will develop under the vehicle I'd say you shouldn't run at all with the middle pan off and rear pan (diffusers) on. The middle pan sets up the flow for the diffusers and with it off air will flow up and over into the engine compartment instead of to the rear. At anything but very low speeds that's probably not good, maybe even normal highway speeds. Best to take both off.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I wouldn't do it, I would fear that I would pick up a ton of dirt on the clean but wet engine bay. Leaf blower and put it back together. I have the pans off at least once a year, and no one but me has taken them off.

Thanks for the replies, I'll take the pans off and not worry for a few miles at low speeds!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Man, that sounds like there's a story in there begging to be told...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Man, that sounds like there's a story in there begging to be told...

There is with photos but it ain't pretty.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
There is with photos but it ain't pretty.

Now you have peaked my interest...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Now you have peaked my interest...
When I have the "restoration" done with photos I will post them with the story.

I have to shop for some 18g steel first. :biggrin

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I have driven my car without the middle pan to keep an eye on the oil pump after a seal change. Must have kept the speed down while doing so.