Garage Pit

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
While we're talking about garage lifts, I wanted some of your input on a pit.
I'm getting close to finalizing plans on my dream garage. I work on anything ranging from military vehicles to German makes.
I've always wanted a pit to facilitate in servicing vehicles. After reviewing many different designs on the web, I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has a pit and their thoughts on practicality, design, and specific features to include.
For example, I would like:
stairs vs a ladder
the ability to use timbers to cover it
lighting, receptacles, air and a sump drain
Dimensions TBD

Has anyone used a pit to access the underside of the GT? Do the body panels restrict access? Please opine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Special K: yes I've had a pit in one of my homes to work underneath my cars because I didn't have the height for a lift.
However, my friend who was on the local fire dept. warned me that the pit has to be to code and also registered with the local fire dept.
he said I was opening myself up for a lawsuit if a fire fighter came into the garage in an emergency where there is possibly no lighting at
the time and fell into it if the cover wasn't over it. Also gas fumes gather at the lowest point so it's very possible to have accumulated fumes
build up in the bottom of the pit as well. It was great to have but the worries about someone accidentally falling in and getting hurt out weighed the benefits so we filled it in and concreted over it. this just all my opinion. pits are used in most quick oil change places so maybe there is a better answer. jmho

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Good thoughts, I didn't think about liability. Thanks

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I had one a long time ago and it was handy. Not sure how it would work out so well with the GT. I suggest a 12 ft ceiling in your garage and a lift. It is probably safer and more convenient.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
In todays world of codes most municipalities would require you to provide drainage.. Since there is a distinct possibility you would get oil in the sanitary sewer system and contaminate it that requires a large special drain with multi chamber for oil separation.

Carwashes use these type,, and since you would probably be lower that your gravity sewer than you would possibly need a lift pump to get the water out of the drain sump !!, and if you do accumulate oil in the trap you need to have that pumped out by a specialty company.. .. Get a lift !! :biggrin

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Having also had a pit and adding to what has already been stated, which I agree with, pits are also more difficult to get tools since you have to climb up and down a ladder every time you need something you didn't take into the pit with you. Whereas, if you use a lift, you just walk over to the tool chest and back to the car. They are also a real pain to clean as stuff gets in the corners and on the walls. If you build a pit, make sure they round the bottom corners to make it easier to clean. In addition, a lift permits you to adjust the height of the vehicle depending on whether you're working on a low car or a lifted truck. You can also use a lift to lower a car down on a transmission sitting on a table instead of lifting the transmission up to the car/truck. You'll be much happier with a lift as they are much more versatile.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Good thoughts, I didn't think about liability. Thanks

It's also a liability when it comes to sell the house.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
To further clarify: The garage/ car storage facility will be built on a separate piece of property that will be zoned commercial. My logic is that it could always be sold if need be and I don't think the facility would add the corresponding value to my homestead.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To further clarify: The garage/ car storage facility will be built on a separate piece of property that will be zoned commercial. My logic is that it could always be sold if need be and I don't think the facility would add the corresponding value to my homestead.

Commercial zoning would change the picture alot, but would not change the zoning requirements for a below grade grease trap and potential lift station. But if you're in a commerical zone, building height is also not an issue, so I'd assert a lift is still a better solution. I've been in a lot of garages and the only place I see pits are the quick-lube places...

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Great info. Y'all have raised very good points. This is why I've been on the fence for so long. My goal was to put both a lift and pit, but I'm starting to see too many negatives with the pit.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If you're building a new structure and can do 12 foot sidewalls, I wouldn't even consider installing a pit.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If you have the room, I would do a 2 post, and a 4 post. The 4 post would give you the advantage of the pit of simply driving on, and pick up the car.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
If you have the room, I would do a 2 post, and a 4 post. The 4 post would give you the advantage of the pit of simply driving on, and pick up the car.

You're right, that would be the simplest solution and cheaper than the pit.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Another bonus of the 4 post is that it can be moved easily, if you space evolves, and what you thought was the perfect spot changes.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I'm sold!