Garage Lift issue (need your help)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You need to either build up the surrounding floor or recess the pedestal. I'm sure you have a monolithic slab, so I wouldn't be afraid to cut a recess and re-pour it. It wouldn't be a big job.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Boy, how dense are you guys? Build a new garage mahal bozo. Is that the answer that makes you happy?

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Boy, how dense are you guys? Build a new garage mahal bozo. Is that the answer that makes you happy?

What took you so long doc? Lmao

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The top of the red steel base to the bottom of the lift at it's highest point is a fixed dimension. If the lift is at the highest point now and the car won't fit recessing the red base doesn't increase that useable height distance for the car on the floor it reduces it.. so I guess I'm confused about what you're trying to accomplish..
You need more height / space for the bottom car or you just want a flush surface so you're not driving over the hump ? . If you just want the flush surface I stay with my original post :) # 7.. I said " race ramps or Aluminum runners.. I would just build aluminum runners,, :) .. If you recess the lift it look like you'll give up about 4" of height clearance for the bottom car.. my 2 cents over and out.. :)

PS: or just chop the top on that Raptor !! :lol

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Reading comprehension: Fail :lol

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Stormy
Both lifts are tall enough to easily accommodate two cars. I actually had my 56 ford F100 below it so it's not a height issue. The only problem is with bringing in a low car and going over the hump. I suppose I need to go measure the height of the two bolts so it's clearer.
I've got the guy coming in Saturday to give his 2 cents so we will know a little more. I just think the idea about adding the concrete was the wrong one so I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Stormy
Both lifts are tall enough to easily accommodate two cars. I actually had my 56 ford F100 below it so it's not a height issue. The only problem is with bringing in a low car and going over the hump. I suppose I need to go measure the height of the two bolts so it's clearer.
I've got the guy coming in Saturday to give his 2 cents so we will know a little more. I just think the idea about adding the concrete was the wrong one so I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.

I would build the removable / movable platforms out of Aluminum. They don't need to be the full width only the width of the track plus some extra with for safety. We have another local guy who recessed his lift and now we are building covers for the trench..:biggrin

If you don't do the platforms and you want to go thru with moving the lift I would remove the concrete / grount . get to the original floor surface, bring in a concrete grinding company a to level out a spot for the foot print of the base of the lift.
There are many companies down here who advertise precision grinding for raised concrete sidewalk edges, high spots etc.. I guess I'm up to 4 cents now !!

Last edited:

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Maxemus, your garage looks great! Really like the clean look & small footprint of the single post side lift! You may consider searching for driveway approach ramps, curb ramps, rubber ramps. Seems there are numerous attractive options available. Congrats again on awesome garage!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
It's going to be tough to remedy at this point, but you could recess the entire base, which is what I would have done when the floor was poured. Call a contractor and ask if they can cut a recess and re-pour a recessed pad for the base.

+1 I'd recess the base so it's level with the rest of your floor, if this leaves a hole in your runner, then I'd just make a small wooden box the size of the base to fill in the hole on your lift runner so you can drive a car on the lift without falling in the runner hole. When you raise the lift, just move the box out of the way and park your next car under the lift.

Last edited:

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Maxemus, your garage looks great! Really like the clean look & small footprint of the single post side lift! You may consider searching for driveway approach ramps, curb ramps, rubber ramps. Seems there are numerous attractive options available. Congrats again on awesome garage!

Thanks JwZ. I will post pics of the rest of ir when im done with this issue

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Update;
So the lift installer came by today and his plan is to remove the platform and chip away at the cement under the steel, remove the nuts and attach the plate to the two horizontal legs. That's the hope at least. Apparently he had been here to give an estimate for the original job and didn't want to be responsible for any loss of tile. Says the GC insisted that he needed a forklift and he said he didn't so he backed out.

JKR

GT Owner
It is extremely important that you verify with the manufacture of the lift how many inches of re enforced concrete is required for the foot bolts. You don't want to go threw all this trouble and have the lift not be safe or that you have weekend the foundation of the garage.
Update;
So the lift installer came by today and his plan is to remove the platform and chip away at the cement under the steel, remove the nuts and attach the plate to the two horizontal legs. That's the hope at least. Apparently he had been here to give an estimate for the original job and didn't want to be responsible for any loss of tile. Says the GC insisted that he needed a forklift and he said he didn't so he backed out.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
It is extremely important that you verify with the manufacture of the lift how many inches of re enforced concrete is required for the foot bolts. You don't want to go threw all this trouble and have the lift not be safe or that you have weekend the foundation of the garage.

We have 6 inches

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
a8d931be0c003aa87b9f292bfa112397.jpg

00787d3720e9b88afa5133dde8111bdd.jpg
e351a2b481f7e313cb84918288261af7.jpg

Thought I’d update you guys. Finally fixed the first lift. Last night as I was lowering the other one the hydraulic line burst and sprayed hyd liquid all over the place. That one will take more work but at least we got one done. There’s now space for k68 in two weeks. So far the old GT rides higher than the 2RS so we tried putting the lower car up over the lift hump. It cleared it with no problem. However, if the car wouldn’t have the hydraulic lift I don’t think it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
looks great. I've been looking at a single post lift for a while. let me know how you like it.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
looks great. I've been looking at a single post lift for a while. let me know how you like it.

I’ve had them for several years. Been solid until last night but I suppose that could have happened on any other lift. Pressurized it to get it off the stop and it blew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Nice looking garage!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Lucky you. Ford is watching you. Expect a call from the concierge because you can't take care of it.