Washing car covers

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Vegas is horribly dusty, and my cover has gotten to the point where it needs a refresh. Yes, even in the garage. Of course, the cover keeps the dust off the car, but nothing keeps the dust off the cover! :)

Does any one know or have experience with washing the factory car cover?

Guidance? What kind of detergent, etc, if any? Cycle strength? Cold/Hot? Etc?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Vegas is horribly dusty, and my cover has gotten to the point where it needs a refresh. Yes, even in the garage. Of course, the cover keeps the dust off the car, but nothing keeps the dust off the cover! :)

Does any one know or have experience with washing the factory car cover?

Guidance? What kind of detergent, etc, if any? Cycle strength? Cold/Hot? Etc?

Have you considered getting a air bubble cover for your car ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Washed mine on the bulky items setting, warm. Worked fine. It's very durable.

I used a couple of the regular detergent packets. Made the car and garage smell lovely. :biggrin

Last edited:

Spaceman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 1, 2012
Central Texas
Washed mine on the bulky items setting, warm. Worked fine. It's very durable.

Did you air dry or machine dry? Also did the Ford logo on the front come out good as well?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Have you considered getting a air bubble cover for your car ?

You mean one of the inflatable tents? No, don't need it. The cover deflects the dust, but it does sit on top of it. The garage is fairly well sealed except for the code required vents that are supposed to provide combustion air to the water heater. The dust in the garage is nothing compared to the silt that appears at the bottom of the pool after one of our big wind/dust storms. You could almost plant corn.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
Bubble is great especially in the OP's climate. I have to have a dehumidifier all year round due to being beneath ground [emoji15][emoji51][emoji849]otherwise I would have a bubble for each car....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bubble is great especially in the OP's climate. I have to have a dehumidifier all year round due to being beneath ground [emoji15][emoji51][emoji849]otherwise I would have a bubble for each car....

Our humidity here today was 3%. I don't think humidity is an issue here.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
Our humidity here today was 3%.

Lucky man - truly - as of Friday I have the pleasure of pure urine smell from my A/C - cars in Singapore don't have such issue - lol!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Lucky man - truly - as of Friday I have the pleasure of pure urine smell from my A/C - cars in Singapore don't have such issue - lol!

Today was 106*F at our house. A little breeze would have been more than welcome. I did my pool laps (water tempwas 95*F and only that low because I clipped the solar heater from coming on) and was reading in the shade on the patio and went back for a dip about 10 times (to get the evap cooling effect).

Actually, the desert is a mixed blessing. The low humidity makes the heat much more tolerable, but it also dries out skin and low humidity makes sinuses dry out which is magnified if you have allergies.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
Today was 106*F at our house. A little breeze would have been more than welcome. I did my pool laps (water tempwas 95*F and only that low because I clipped the solar heater from coming on) and was reading in the shade on the patio and went back for a dip about 10 times (to get the evap cooling effect).

Actually, the desert is a mixed blessing. The low humidity makes the heat much more tolerable, but it also dries out skin and low humidity makes sinuses dry out which is magnified if you have allergies.

That level of heat is unheard of here - 90F is max I've seen in 7 years here

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
You mean one of the inflatable tents? No, don't need it. The cover deflects the dust, but it does sit on top of it. The garage is fairly well sealed except for the code required vents that are supposed to provide combustion air to the water heater. The dust in the garage is nothing compared to the silt that appears at the bottom of the pool after one of our big wind/dust storms. You could almost plant corn.

Yes those are the ones ! Seems good for storage as nothing is touching the car and the air is being filtered and changed all the time and little chance of any rodents or insects getting in the car I'm thinking about getting one I wonder if you can use it while the car is on a lift ???

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yes those are the ones ! Seems good for storage as nothing is touching the car and the air is being filtered and changed all the time and little chance of any rodents or insects getting in the car I'm thinking about getting one I wonder if you can use it while the car is on a lift ???

The ones I've seen only work at ground level

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Did you air dry or machine dry? Also did the Ford logo on the front come out good as well?

I put it in the dryer for just a few minutes, did not take long to get it 90% dried. I couldn't tell a difference in the logo or anything else. It's a quality piece.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland

No, it must be used whilst on the ground level

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I tried one for the GT, but it didn't work for me for the following reasons:

- I can't drive the car in straight, so it is really hard to get in without touching it
- I ordered a wide one but still would want have a wider one, close parking with the GT is really hard
- assembling it was hard, I have never had a tent like construction that was hard to assemble,I guess even some parts were wrong

In the end I scrapped it, too complicated for me

Last edited:

Boomster

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 29, 2016
By coincidence, I just washed mine this past week. Our machine does not have an agitator , it just tumbles the wash load back and forth. It came out fine. I stretched it out in the basement and it was dry by the next morning.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
By coincidence, I just washed mine this past week. Our machine does not have an agitator , it just tumbles the wash load back and forth. It came out fine. I stretched it out in the basement and it was dry by the next morning.

Our machine is one of those too. Were there any issues with the clear plastic license plate view port?

Rick Mustang

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2016
Central Texas
Take a look at a Car Jacket. Basically a zip lock bag, but with a zipper. Drive on, regular car cover, and zip up the bag. I keep all my cars in one, including the GT with a battery tender. Keeps everything out, and you never have to wash your cover. For my one car in a three sided barn, I wipe the Car Jacket down about once a year. Rick

Boomster

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 29, 2016
No problem with the plastic window.
Our machine is one of those too. Were there any issues with the clear plastic license plate view port?

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Car Jacket is great if you don't plan on driving the car much. You have to cover the car before you put the Car Jacket on so it won't scuff paint. I used to use one before my garage was air conditioned to keep humidity from the GT. Since climate control, I just put cotton sheets over it if not driving it for a while. Easy to throw in a washing machine. Car Jacket does work exactly as advertised but not convenient for cars that are driven regularly. I do use a car bubble for a car that is stored in a garage in Minnesota for seven months a year and it seems to work great.

Apologies to the original poster as none of these comments address your question. My GT cover is in the bag with no dust on it.