Scott Dixon massive crash at Indy

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wow - CGR drivers are having a rough run at Indy.

Dixon got left with nowhere to go by a car that hit the wall and had a massive airborne crash. Flipped several times, landed the top of the car on top of the tire wall. Very, very lucky his helmet didn't hit there. Scary stuff.

Amazing, car was destroyed and he hopped out under his own power.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
[video=youtube;Un_1R02ie0o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un_1R02ie0o[/video]

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
That was one of the worst crashes I've seen in a long time. Looked worse than Sebastian's crash a few days ago. Amazing he walked away.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
He is very lucky to walk away unscathed. Sorry to see that happen. As an aside, I have it on good authority that he and Dario were robbed while waiting in the car line at Taco Bell last week.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
That was one of the worst crashes I've seen in a long time. Looked worse than Sebastian's crash a few days ago. Amazing he walked away.

Hard to imagine worse than Sebastians but I agree. Unbelievable how close he came to cockpit hitting top of wall

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
He is very lucky to walk away unscathed. Sorry to see that happen. As an aside, I have it on good authority that he and Dario were robbed while waiting in the car line at Taco Bell last week.

Yo quiero Taco Bell!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Not too many years ago that crash would have very likely proven fatal. Obviously, race car engineering/safety has come a long way.

At 1st I thought the car had come down onto the barrier squarely on the driver's roll bar. Had that been the case, even if the cage were made of 'bullitproofium', I doubt the outcome would have been anywhere near as stellar.

'Darned scary stuff...

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
They just had a five car crash.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
These crashes have been unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Wow. Definitely lucky his melon didn't come down on that wall.

Sometimes the more extraordinary the crash the better. All that flying through the air and rolling dissipates a lot of energy over a relatively long period of time. Sebastian on the other hand went from 200 to WAY less than 200 in milliseconds.

I'm flying through the air. This is not good.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
It's time to put fighter canopies on those cars.
The bulk of the fatalities are due to blunt head trauma.
They got away REALLY lucky this time!
Mark

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Watching the video makes me nervous driving on the track, as our cars also hit pretty high speeds...

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

scary crash for sure !! So relieved he was uninjured and he was pleasant in his post accident interview,, Would that good authority be the TV announcers,,, cause they told us all who watched the race,, :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, a local authority.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Even after knowing both drivers were okay I was still in disbelief when watching the replays. Grateful.

Vince H

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Just got back from Indy 500 race. Sat in turn 2 up at the top and saw all this and more! Was so glad the drivers walked away. There was a front wheel and suspension that went flying which if it had landed in the infield crowds could have been a disaster! Good race to be at and enjoyed the weekend activities.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Even for a professional race driver it has to somehow cross your mind how close to death you were.. I'm sure his wife does. I know it's part of the job and can't stay in your head to be successful but it sure takes a special talent to jump right back like nothing happened.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

There isn't any type of canopy that wouldn't have shattered had that car made 1/4 more rotation resulting with that wall crushing down on Scott's helmet. I'm very familiar with the added danger that canopies bring with them from my involvement in single seat aircraft. They provide better aero but little if anything in the way of protection. They also trap carbon monoxide, smoke, fire, and make extraction more difficult and time consuming when a car or aircraft ends up inverted. These cars are safer without a canopy. This was a rare accident coming down sideways from a great height upon a concrete wall. Amazing it worked out as he was just a quarter turn away from instant death.

Earnest Hemingway wrote, "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports. . . all others are games." Real sports involve risk of life and serious injury. Children's games played by men do not.

Chip

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
A true "fighter canopy" would have withstood that but would probably weigh a third of the car.