Scott Dixon massive crash at Indy

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
I agree 100% with Chip's view. One tip I received years ago in my first aerobatic lesson was to carry a very small hammer to break the canopy open in case of ending upside down. Lots of things can happen upside down in an airplane or car which could be fire or smoke and you become trapped. In this case I would rather have no canopy on these cars...but I don't race. I fly. It's also really easy to be an arm chair quarterback. IMHO.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

The toughest canopy is probably the F-16's because it's one piece and so the entire thing is the thickness of the forward facing part that's designed to take a 4 pound bird strike at 350 Kts (about 400 mph). But that strike is the glancing blow of a soft object. An F-16 canopy weighs about 250 pounds including the frame. The clear poly-carbonate is .5 to .75 inch thick. An Indy car weighs about 1650 pounds plus the weight of the driver and fuel. Those F-16 canopies can and have fractured and failed. I'm not the worlds foremost authority here but I'm not aware of any canopy that would survive that 1800 pound loaded Indy car falling from a height of over 10 feet plus it's 150 mph forward velocity with a direct blow to a concrete wall directly on to the canopy. It would have diflected a couple inches and then shattered. It's really tough stuff but it's not indestructible.

It's possible to eject through the canopies of some fighters like our very own "Waldo's" Harrier. But not through an F-16 canopy as they are so tough. Still, the greatest fear I have as a pilot and would have as a race driver is fire. And an indestructible fighter type canopy would, IMO, be a big net negative to safety in Indy and F-1 cars. And my opinion is worth every penny you just paid for it! All the best.

Chip

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Worked at PPG Aerospace years ago (shot chickens at stuff) and spent my fair share of time around F-15Es and A-10s in the Air Force (not as a pilot). Nothing on an F-16 should be considered tough, besides the pilot, IMO. :biggrin Those fighter/bombers have some tough canopies though.

Harrier ejections are a different concept entirely. They have explosives in the "glass" to open a hole since they could be stationary, most fighters blow the canopy away in its entirety. Some seats have canopy breakers just in case.

Haven't you seen Top Gun? RIP Goose.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
My intent was not that a canopy would protect the driver from an inverted impact on a solid object, I believe that is what roll over protection bars are at least supposed to do, rather that a canopy "could" at least mitigate intrusion of errant suspension and other parts that could impact the drivers head.
I don't know, and I'm not sure, that the aviation analogy is valid.
NHRA top fuel cars and Unlimited Offshore race boats now have canopies or enclosed compartments for specific reasons.
No question, canopies have their own set of associated issues.
Thanks for the informed opinions.
Best,
Mark

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow - .....Amazing, car was destroyed and he hopped out under his own power.

I wonder what his speed was at the time? Crazy that he could walk away & even crazier that those guys can hop right back in a car & do it again.

Ed

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
They've been using a section out of an F16 canopy (blems) for years in drag boat racing. I've cut up and fitted a few and they are pretty stout.

Attachments

• 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 87

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Talked to Scott today in Detroit. Moving gingerly as you might expect, but still pretty quick on-track in the practice sessions, 7th fastest time.

Attachments

• detfp1.jpg
    detfp1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 54