Ford GT hit with weight increase & significant power reduction for Le Mans

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ease-power-reduction-in-le-mans-specific-bop/

Ford has been hit with a weight increase and power reduction for next month’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, following the release of the Balance of Performance tables for the French endurance classic...

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/ford-bop-le-mans-performance-909715/

The performance of the Ford GT has been pegged back ahead of the test day for the Le Mans 24 Hours at the start of next month. Ford, which won the GTE Pro class at Le Mans last year, has received a double hit in the pre-test Balance of Performance, while rivals Aston Martin and Chevrolet have been given performance breaks...

Firstly, the Le Mans BoP is independent from what the cars have been running in the WEC thus far this year, so do not compare to Silverstone or Spa.

The GT was given an extra 20kg (1268kg) and has a revised boost curve, which is funny given that there were times the car was already running with the waste gates wide open.

Ferrari 488 is unchanged.

911 RSR starts at 1258 kg.

Corvette and Aston Martin have each been given substantial increases in restrictor size so they will have significant power gains.

I talked to some people right after it came out and optimism is in short supply. It's going to be a lot to overcome. Guess we'll find out soon!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Weights

Aston Martin - 1193 kg
Corvette C7R - 1243 kg
911 RSR - 1258 kg
Ferrari 488 - 1268 kg
Ford GT - 1268 kg

Fuel Capacity

Aston Martin - 100 L
911 RSR - 99 L
Ford GT - 95 L
Corvette C7R - 94 L
Ferrari 488 - 88 L

Boost Pressures

Ferrari has a comical power advantage amongst the turbocharged cars. The 488 has just been returned to last years LM boost levels. GT has had it's boost reduced everywhere.

bop.jpg

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Unfortunate racing political correctness.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
The street car is faster.:willy

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
and I didn't even take 4 years this time....

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
So, we just need our drivers to each shed 165lbs and we'll be with the Astons! That is a crazy differential to overcome, only slight glow of optimism is the GT's fual capacity, all other things being equal, it doesn't look good for our team.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
and I didn't even take 4 years this time....

Exactly. This is one of many reasons I give Ford major credit for committing to a 4 year race program. Everyone knew going in this was in the cards when you bring a gun to a knife fight.

No matter. Everyone will understand the real reason behind any uncompetiveness in the GT.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
There is nothing "balanced" about this. It's manipulation from the organizers to give the illusion of equality. I understand that Ford knew what they were getting themselves into when they agreed to race but to tie both hands behind their back . . . . . . Come on!

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Vince H

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
There is nothing "balanced" about this. It's manipulation from the organizers to give the illusion of equality. I understand that Ford knew what they were getting themselves into when they agreed to race but to tie both hands behind their back . . . . . . Come on!

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Vince H

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I know Ford committed to a 4 year race program, but they might consider boycotting this race in protest. BOP is just too subjective.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Or, here's another idea: Enter a F150 Raptor instead of the FGT, and force everyone else's BOP down to "make it competitive." :rofl

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
We'll really only know on race day. And as much as i want Ford to win, I'd also like to see a really competitive race and - like it or not - last year's LeMans wasn't, not really...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm actually fine with the disadvantage. Not "fine" but I like it for what it proves. I would just like them to make it clear what the actual numbers mean. Everyone knows what weight means; show us the power levels the cars run with. They obviously don't want to broadcast that information for a reason.

Someone will have to double check my math, but it would appear that the GT makes between 3-4 PSI less at almost all times than the Ferrari, on a smaller displacement engine. This is a serious horsepower disparity. Is it 50 hp? Less? More? How does this compare with the post-BoP N/A powertrains? Either way, it's a lot less, so the GT gets to say "they've made us the heaviest car with the least power in an effort to make things competitive."

My only concern is that they've swung the pendulum way too far. That is what people have told me.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
We'll really only know on race day. And as much as i want Ford to win, I'd also like to see a really competitive race and - like it or not - last year's LeMans wasn't, not really...

Really only because both AF Corse cars conked out. Who knows what would have happened had they stayed alive. Vilander was well within striking distance to win before he spun, so the 488 had plenty of speed.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
True. But also true best Aston-Martin was 2 laps back and best Corvette was 4 laps back.

I remember the angst last year and all thought the Ford's were to heavily penalized or didn't play the politics to their best advantage. And STILL won taking 3 of 4 top spots.

Makes for interesting discussions before, during and after the race.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
That much boost reduction is crippling. You could get within 10 HP estimate by using some complex engine modeling software, but what effect that will have at the track will only be revealed at the track. The drivers will adjust their style and lines to compensate for the changes, and modeling won't account for that.

Can Ford change the the mechanical compression and cam timing of the engine to compensate for the reduced boost? If the rules don't prohibit that, they can get back a little of the power loss.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I agree with everyone else in that appears that the BoP process has gone too far. The irony here, however, is that as great as an achievement as it was for Ford to come back to LeMans and win.... we cannot at the same time choose to say that this feat was as great as the (balls to the wall) wins in the 60's and to simultaneously acknowledge that too much of the ability to win is in the hands of those that control the BoP. In turn, this is precisely saying that those that control the BoP can control the outcomes and if we go down this path, we can see that the NFGT win last year was completely engineered. There can be no doubt that the resurrection of the rivalries has been a boon to the sport. Not trying to say things between the line here - just saying that BoP - at this level of granularity substantially detracts from teams showing us the art of the possible.... as it was in the 60's.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I was unaware any of the preceding posts were about the 1960s.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
well.. not the news we like to hear but I'm still going and flying my Ford Colors !! And as we all know you have to run the race, it's long , punishing and there is racer's luck so let's stay optimistic !!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm sure Ford has some time to hire a few unemployed Volkswagen software engineers.