Ford GT hit with weight increase & significant power reduction for Le Mans

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
well last year we got BOP'ed down after qualifying just before the race which is not usual .. so who knows maybe we are holding back and we can cry at the meetings and maybe they'll give us something back. :biggrin ( I know.. Wishful thinking !! ) . As always,,, I'd take the less weight options,,,

I'm with you, SCat! Hoping for more equitable BOP treatment! Go Blue!!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
What happened when a car won & all the competitors said "That car is fast, we need to make our cars faster" Now, it's "That car is fast, let's make them slower so we can win"

Ed

C'mon Ed, this happens all the time in the real world.

Businesses are constantly having to re-invent themselves to maintain mediocrity. Next year at LeMans they will be honoring the best buggy whip manufacturers. Bring your own horse - as long as it isn't bigger than 16 hands. :wink

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
[emoji35]BoP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I just hope there is some left on the table. I think there's some though for the last several weeks people I've talked to were very down about the current situation. I was told the performance by the drivers on test day was 10/10ths. Whether or not the car was setup to reflect max performance is another question.

I don't mind BoP within reason. In order to have a competitive series that entices manufacturers, their needs to be some level of equivalence.

The problem is that they manage so many different things for such different hardware that the FIA seems to screw it up a lot. IMSA actually did a really good job with the BoP last year IMO. Nobody was dominant, nobody was toast. FIA WEC was all over the place. At times several manufacturers were totally uncompetitive.

We shall see! It's extraordinarily unlikely that Ford gets any kind of break back to last year's setup, so no point in sandbagging.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
let's just hope that the BoP moves a bit after qualifying to give the GT's a fighting chance... maybe only tie one hand behind our backs not both

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It will definitely be interesting to see how the race goes. I'm hoping & praying for another Ford win! I won't be able to be there this year (saving for my 2018 GT). What will be the best way to watch the race from here in North America?

Ed

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Looks like a good bit of it on Fox sports

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Welll maybe I'm just being optimistic. But this isn't Ford and Chip Gs first rodeo. I'm sure they were prepared and caculated for whatever they could have been hit with.

So let's wait till race day when it's time to turn them loose and let them eat!!! But if not i hope Dave has a vast selection of alcohol stocked up at the suite��

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I guess the ACO thinks that "Balance of Performance" extends from last year. Ford came in 1, 2, 4 and in testing Saturday came out in the last four spots. For some, that might be "balance" but not for this "Show Me" state resident.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
It will definitely be interesting to see how the race goes. I'm hoping & praying for another Ford win! I won't be able to be there this year (saving for my 2018 GT). What will be the best way to watch the race from here in North America?

Ed

Download the FIA WEC app on you iPad. I have streamed live coverage with great side stats through the whole race. Even if I were there in person, I would have it streaming as the coverage is so comprehensive, it's far better than sitting in the stands.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks Tim!

Ed

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
The problem is that they manage so many different things for such different hardware that the FIA seems to screw it up a lot. IMSA actually did a really good job with the BoP last year IMO. Nobody was dominant, nobody was toast. FIA WEC was all over the place. At times several manufacturers were totally uncompetitive.

You have to remember that the WEC is really all about Le Mans - teams are prepared to sacrifice the rest to win Le Mans so sandbagging is rife especially in the early part of the season as teams try to get a break for Le Mans. It appeared that Ford did this last year which was why when they turned up at Le Mans qualifying and ran massively faster than they had at the test day they were pegged back a little between qualifying and the race. I am sure teams will learn from that and will not show their full pace until the race itself. It is a shame it is like this but it is inevitable when you have a BOP based formula using various cars designed in different ways for different purposes.

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
The excellent article of May 3, 2017, in Autoweek states:

"The rule-makers have been insistent that the first 2017 Le Mans BoP is specifically for the Test Day on June 4. The implication is that it could change again prior to the start of qualifying during race and perhaps again before the race".

http://autoweek.com/article/24-hours...-gte-pro-class

Consequently, I can not imagine that Ford shows his cards before the start of the race.
The fact that during the tests of June 4, the four Ford GT are perfectly grouped in the last 4 places, confirms me in this idea, and gives me great hope for the race.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida