GT 350 Oil filter kit in mail...anyone else?

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Just received this in the mail today, anyone else? IMG_5234.JPG-1.jpgIMG_5235.JPG-1.jpg

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
No. Got a great kit after purchasing the 350 R. But no oil kit.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Ryan and Megan just got their GT350 Last Thursday.
I will ask them.
Andy (ajb)

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I received one also

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Cool, a $60k oil wrench! Not even Snap-on gets those prices.

Mar 15, 2006
Got it too.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Does the letter give any hints as to why they are sending it to you guys?

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Does the letter give any hints as to why they are sending it to you guys?

It may have to do with the oil filter requiring a specified torque for installing. A number of people of who use to track Boss302's and switched to the GT350, had reports of oil filters coming loose while driving (off and on track).

Last October a friend with new GT350 had an oil related departure from the track at NJMP. Lucky he didn't collect anything before he stopped.

The FMC oil filter I believe comes with a thread compound on the threads of the oil filter, but the guy making the post had also mentioned that the correct torque was very important.

Incorrect torque on the oil filter and maybe early aftermarket oil filters that didn't have the thread compound may be the cause for some of the loose oil filters.

This is all gathered from the TMO.com posts that I have read and since I don't have a GT350, no real life experience except my friends issue last year.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Over the winter break of 2016-2017 Ford changed to the cannister type on the GT350 model, as the previous filter was prone to coming off, due to either improper torquing or the vibrations of the Voodoo engine loosening it.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
...as the previous filter was prone to coming off, due to either improper torquing or the vibrations of the Voodoo engine loosening it.

I would guess it was not improper torqueing but engine vibrations. Lot's of dynamic attenuation stuff done by the Ford engineers to keep the engine parts from shaking off the engine.

GT0987

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 11, 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Got mine last week.

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
I have a 2017 Shelby GT 350R that I am unhappy with the dealer. Gonna sell it. Has 450 km Cdn car. Magnetic grey no stripes and tech package. BTW I love my 2016 Focus RS

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Oil filter torque, don't these things just require a dab of oil on the gasket and just hand tightening?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I would guess it was not improper torqueing but engine vibrations. Lot's of dynamic attenuation stuff done by the Ford engineers to keep the engine parts from shaking off the engine.

Yeah, even oil filters aren't as simple as they used to be.

davidn

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2007
Carrollton,Texas
Got Mine....

IMG_5891.jpg

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Well how about that. The mail just came, and I got my oil change kit today!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Oil filter torque, don't these things just require a dab of oil on the gasket and just hand tightening?

Yeah, even oil filters aren't as simple as they used to be.

the flat plane crank motor is a high revving, vibration generating monster unlike any engine where this oid standard method was used as a typical procedure.. heck guys just put a hole in it and safety wire it !! :lol
But seriously you could probably put some stainless steel hose clamps on filter canister and put some wire through those to something solid as a little added insurance

Last edited:

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
That was my plan if and when I get one.:wink

Still like my Boss LS

rsstopper

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2006
Arizona
My filter was loose at delivery. It left a big oil puddle on the garage floor. A week later, the 'kit' showed up. The wrench has my VIN number on it.
658709813bbcc9529c1269c9cd26c4f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro