What to do with a spare set of original tires?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I have a period correct set of Goodyears that was purchased in 2008 by the original owner of my GT. Two of them are date coded 17/05, another 39/04 and one 02/06. They still have the original barcoding on them. Since I have no plans on using them, what to do with them? Would they be worth something (maybe one day) for a concours restoration or wrapper car? I don't consider myself a hoarder, but find it difficult to dispose of them considering how much emphasis GT owners put on original content for their cars. Please opine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I tossed mine long ago.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
I couldn't give mine away so recycled at local tire store.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Buy a top and make them into a table.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Buy a top and make them into a table.[/QUOTE

This.

and then in 40 years sell for big bucks!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I couldn't give mine away so recycled at local tire store.

Yep. If you can find someone that will take them for free and not charge you a disposal fee you are ahead of the game.

Think about it: If someone in 40 years has a original car with original tires it might matter. But if someone in 40 years tries to take a car with 20000 miles and put original tires back it on it, it is, well, a car with miles and non-original tires.

Get rid of them for the least a mount of money possible.

Last edited:

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Told my dealership to pitch them when they installed new tires.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Buy a top and make them into a table.

They do make a great conversation piece in regards to their size. I also realize that very few would hang on to them when there is no functional value or nostalgic value, yet. I got rid of a '69 Porsche 911T for $1500.00 in 1999... I mean, who would want a slow old Porsche from the 60's....

Tomcat

GT Owner
Think about it: If someone in 40 years has a original car with original tires it might matter. But if someone in 40 years tries to take a car with 20000 miles and put original tires back it on it, it is, well, a car with miles and non-original tires.

I agree. I (originally) wished I had a set of Goodyear Arrivas for my Pantera...but I realize that my car is not low miles and not stock enough to be in a museum so "original tires" are not going to transform it back. That being said...I do still have a set of "original" Goodyears for the GT (and two sets of Michelins) in the garage.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Tire Rack storage rack - https://www.tirerack.com/accessorie...88969&ef_id=WRjUFwAAAGfIX_Y6:20170519141338:s

Pull them down if/when you sell ride (Tomcat alludes to this notion).

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
You could make four tire swings.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I would take them if you were going to get rid of them...

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The tires are junk and not safe to use.
Would you drink milk that's has gone past it self life?

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
The tires are junk and not safe to use.
Would you drink milk that's has gone past it self life?

I drink milk past it's posted date. If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the suggestions. Dr Frank, I think I may just make two end tables with glass tops for my man cave. This keeps them safe and sound in a climate controlled environment. Shelby, you will be first to know if I decide to get rid of them.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Laminate the glass top of your end table (clear car window film will do), if the glass breaks for whatever reason, cleaning the mess is a breeze, ask me how I know.