Hoosiers for street driving?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents,
I have had a new set of Hoosiers sitting on extra rims for about 4 1/2 years now, and have never had the chance to mount and try them. I normally run Bridgestones, which I like. I have been thinking about putting the Hoosiers on before our Utah trip in August, which would be nice for the track and canyon drives.

I know that they are not ideal in the rain, and they are a few years old. Curious, how bad they really are with unexpected rain? I am hoping that 4-5 yrs old is not 'too old'. Also, not being sure sure how dry northern Utah is, anybody have concerns with my having them on for our few day trip?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
I had them on my car for a few months. The amount of rocks / pebbles that they threw up was annoying. In the rain, they were horrible. Damn near suicide mission in heavy rain.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Not sure how dry northern Utah is. Southern Utah is bone dry, though pebbly.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I run Mickey Thompson ET streets. Great when dry but feels like driving on ice if I'm caught in the rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I had them on my car for a few months. The amount of rocks / pebbles that they threw up was annoying. In the rain, they were horrible. Damn near suicide mission in heavy rain.

Exactly. I've gone through two sets, track use only. They don't last long and get hard with age. If they are that old, don't use them in the street.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
From the Hoosier website:

Service Life For Race Tires: Old tires can fail in use, causing loss of vehicle control and personal injury. Environmental conditions like temperature extremes, exposure to sunlight, electric arc, solvents, automotive fluids, and atmospheric pollutants accelerate the aging process. Hoosier Racing Tire strongly recommends that new (sticker) tires should be put in service within 2 years of date of purchase. Used (scuffed) tires have a shorter service life than new (sticker) tires. Poor storage and infrequent use accelerate the aging process.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I ran them exclusively for 10 years on my GT & was able to get around 3-5,000 mi depending on how many track miles were included. Wet roads were ok but standing water was scary. There is no better track tire for our GTs. Hoosiers are also the tires for all the high speed records in our GTs.

Ed

rsstopper

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2006
Arizona
While they are quite old, if they haven't been heat cycled, they are probably ok. I assume they've been properly stored when I say that.

If you get a flat or a tire failure on your way to Utah, you're screwed. You'll never find a quick replacement. Why don't you UPS them to the track and just use your street tires for the trip. Junk them when done and just send the wheels Home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Been stored in insulated garage. I would think 4-5 yrs old still ok. 2 yrs seems short.

While they are quite old, if they haven't been heat cycled, they are probably ok. I assume they've been properly stored when I say that.

If you get a flat or a tire failure on your way to Utah, you're screwed. You'll never find a quick replacement. Why don't you UPS them to the track and just use your street tires for the trip. Junk them when done and just send the wheels Home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have extensive experience with them on other vehicles.
Would strongly suggest that they are not appropriate for road trips where wet roads might be an issue.
Your safety is most important.
Best,
Mark

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I will throw my .02 in here too. Even without heat cycles tires need to be fresh to be any good, especially race tires. Race tires degrade quickly and four years is old. Older tires can be very dangerous - even if they are new even in street tires and there are countless examples of that. In my own experience, it is just not worth it to take a chance especially if you are taking the GT out of your comfort zone in environment and normal driving speeds. I have learned this the hard way with some good offs on track, (not in a GT fortunately). Also blown trailer tires with low miles, and recently a motor home that blew low mile, four year old tire tearing up the side fender and wheel well. Not trying to use fear, but don't risk your baby over the cost of the thing that will keep them on the road. I rationalize tires as cheap insurance... and as Indy GT said in another thread, change your brake fluid too.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/33625-Rally-12-Track-Day-Tip-1
For what it is worth, I would rather drive the track on new Bridgestones and bet they will work better than 4 1/2 year old Hoosiers anyway.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
...If you get a flat or a tire failure on your way to Utah, you're screwed. You'll never find a quick replacement.....

If you get a flat with your Goodyears or Bridgestones you won't find a quick replacement either.

I recommend the Dynaplug flat repair kit. Everyone should carry it in every vehicle always. It has saved me! Thanks to Roketman for turning me on to them.

Ed

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
New Bridgestones just delivered yesterday! My current ones maybe 3 yrs old, though have slow leak in rear.

I will throw my .02 in here too. Even without heat cycles tires need to be fresh to be any good, especially race tires. Race tires degrade quickly and four years is old. Older tires can be very dangerous - even if they are new even in street tires and there are countless examples of that. In my own experience, it is just not worth it to take a chance especially if you are taking the GT out of your comfort zone in environment and normal driving speeds. I have learned this the hard way with some good offs on track, (not in a GT fortunately). Also blown trailer tires with low miles, and recently a motor home that blew low mile, four year old tire tearing up the side fender and wheel well. Not trying to use fear, but don't risk your baby over the cost of the thing that will keep them on the road. I rationalize tires as cheap insurance... and as Indy GT said in another thread, change your brake fluid too.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/33625-Rally-12-Track-Day-Tip-1
For what it is worth, I would rather drive the track on new Bridgestones and bet they will work better than 4 1/2 year old Hoosiers anyway.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If they are 3 years or older junk them.I did tire development for Hoosier for 7 years.They are junk and truly unsafe.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
If they are 3 years or older junk them.I did tire development for Hoosier for 7 years.They are junk and truly unsafe.

Thanks Ron

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'd definitely trust Ron on this.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal