Superformance GT40 MkII Opinions

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Just throwing it out there for opinion. I've always relished the idea of having an early GT40 in my collection, but not willing to pay for an original (if one could even be had). I am thinking about building a Superformance MkII, paint it red, put a real 427 engine it it, right hand drive, and try to replicate the 1966 car as closely as possible. It would mostly be a garage queen with the exception of some vintage race weekend (just to show, not race), meets and car shows, certainly not a daily driver. Here are my questions:

1. What would one expect to pay for a fully running car. There are very few comps to review pricing.

2. Do these tend to hold value?

3. What are the gremlins and issues I would have to contend with?

Anyone with experience or information - please chime in. Thanks!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Just throwing it out there for opinion. I've always relished the idea of having an early GT40 in my collection, but not willing to pay for an original (if one could even be had). I am thinking about building a Superformance MkII, paint it red, put a real 427 engine it it, right hand drive, and try to replicate the 1966 car as closely as possible. It would mostly be a garage queen with the exception of some vintage race weekend (just to show, not race), meets and car shows, certainly not a daily driver. Here are my questions:

1. What would one expect to pay for a fully running car. There are very few comps to review pricing.

Although not a Superformance, RK Motors has had a CAV listed on eBay for a while. I believe it is very close to what you are looking for. I don't think you could build one for the price they are asking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222421436925

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Although I don't yet own a Superformance GT40, I do currently own a Superformance MK3 Cobra and I love it. The build quality is really impressive and the availability of parts is excellent. The online community is as strong as this forum with plenty of support and help. There are usually a few cars for sale on cobracountry.com. Good luck with your search.

Dave.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005

I'm looking for the same answers to the same questions...you musta read my mind.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For all you ever wanted to know and more about the SPF GT40s go to www.gt40s.com

There are cars listed all the time at the manufacturer's (Superformance) primary dealer - Hillbank - at www.hillbankusa.com Hillbank will be your best place to order one if you want to custom build. All other dealers order through Hillbank so just get closer to home.

There are always a few GT40s, of all flavors, at www.cobracountry.com (click on the GT40 icon)

Prices for finished, sorted SPF cars are in the 160K range. Very few right-hand drive cars, and those sell for less.

They seem to hold their value well.

But about the car: It's a very uncomfortable hard ride, like a race car (which is what it is). The SPF cars include air conditioning, get it otherwise consider bringing a ham or roast and cooking it while you drive it. SPF cars are "finished rollers" so you install your own engine/transaxle. Most people send the car to Olthoff for finishing. Expect a order to take about a year from order to delivery (so look at the existing pool since your description is essentially a stock car except for RHD).

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Tim,

My whole life I've wanted an original GT40. The Superformance GT-40 is so beautiful I was sure I'd love it. A must have. THEN......I drove one both on the street and on the track. And that killed it. I don't want one anymore. This is just my personal experience and I know people who like them. But our current GT's are so damn good, so capable, and so easy to drive fast, that getting into a Superformance GT-40 and driving it was a huge let down for me. I'd still like one to look at, but that's about it. Take one for a drive Tim before you spend any more time and effort on this. Let us know what you think then.

Chip

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
Most people send the car to Olthoff for finishing. ).
I live in North Carolina and have been to Dennis Olthoff's shop...it is worth it just to see his work/engineering/passion.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Tim,

My whole life I've wanted an original GT40. The Superformance GT-40 is so beautiful I was sure I'd love it. A must have. THEN......I drove one both on the street and on the track. And that killed it. I don't want one anymore.
Chip
Funny, I was in the same boat, but when I described the GT40...my wife said I already had all that "discomfort" in the Pantera.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I've thought about the same thing for a few years. Gulf Coast Motor Works had a Gulf rhd sill shifter that I fell in love with. Was the typical roller.

I'd love to drive one too!! I love my rough bumpy Cobra!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Tim:
Why not go this route?
https://www.carsforsale.com/used-ca...s-cleves-oh-d507747/inventory/details/2398658
https://www.carsforsale.com/used-ca...s-cleves-oh-d507747/inventory/details/3291140
These are honest to goodness MkVs. Both are probably a 50% premium to a fully sorted SF, but these are closer to the real thing. What Chip said is true. But... the friend of mine in Mundelein, IL who has a MkV will tell you it's worth the tight fit. It is an awesome car.

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Similar experience. Margaret and I went to Superformance in Ross, Ohio. Drove three examples of Cobra. After 25 miles in each car for both of us, we both had our wants satisfied. Lovely to look at, a raw pleasure to listen to...but difficult to drive more than 25 miles.
Andy (ajb)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tim:
Why not go this route?
https://www.carsforsale.com/used-ca...s-cleves-oh-d507747/inventory/details/2398658
https://www.carsforsale.com/used-ca...s-cleves-oh-d507747/inventory/details/3291140
These are honest to goodness MkVs. Both are probably a 50% premium to a fully sorted SF, but these are closer to the real thing. What Chip said is true. But... the friend of mine in Mundelein, IL who has a MkV will tell you it's worth the tight fit. It is an awesome car.

Not 50%, more like 2+x. The Safir cars are probably the closest to the originals. But they aren't cheap. Think of it this way: You don't get into a GT40, you wear it.

If you're looking for a better more comfortable car from the same period think about a Daytona Coupe. The new coupes are actually quite comfortable to sit in since they have straightened the trans tunnel to let the pedals line up and the passenger side is also a little more footroom. And it has A/C and even a place for a radio if you want.

Last edited:

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Tim. My brother Jeff has a right hand drive SPF GT40. If you would like to chat with him, he can give you all the specifics and his interpretations on what it's good for and not. It's done up in the heritage with the double horseshoes. He might want even want to sell it.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Tim:
Why not go this route?

+1. Safir is the way to go for long term value.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
At 6'3" and 230, I don't fit in those cars.
Wish that I did!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
...Lovely to look at, a raw pleasure to listen to...but difficult to drive more than 25 miles. Andy (ajb)

i thought the same. Definitely a period experience.

Ed

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
i thought the same. Definitely a period experience.

Ed

I'll disagree. I put all of the 60's Ford period cars into the category of "drivers cars". The cars include the Cobras (all of them), GT40 and later, the Pantera. They are wonderful looking machines ("eye candy"). But inside they are uncomfortable. But here's the psychological thing. Passengers hate them. Drivers love them. They are a wonderful driving machine - for example, the Cobra has a seat-to-pedal offset of about 15-20*. You sit at an angle to reach the pedals. Your body is twisted to reach them. The cobra is also an oven - your feet will burn, passengers more than driver, or maybe the reality is the driver gets the same hot feet the passenger does but tolerates it more because "I'm driving an awesome machine". That was my Cobra experience - I put up with the heat from the engine (which is only about 6" from the firewall) because it was so much fun, but the passengers universally hated riding in it.

GT40's suffer from the same thing - passengers hate the locked down seats and heat and twisted positions.

Pantera guys say the same thing.

So, if you want to get a Cobra or GT40 be prepared to drive it by yourself after the first year.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I'll disagree. I put all of the 60's Ford period cars into the category of "drivers cars". The cars include the Cobras (all of them), GT40 and later, the Pantera. They are wonderful looking machines ("eye candy"). But inside they are uncomfortable. But here's the psychological thing. Passengers hate them. Drivers love them. They are a wonderful driving machine - for example, the Cobra has a seat-to-pedal offset of about 15-20*. You sit at an angle to reach the pedals. Your body is twisted to reach them. The cobra is also an oven - your feet will burn, passengers more than driver, or maybe the reality is the driver gets the same hot feet the passenger does but tolerates it more because "I'm driving an awesome machine". That was my Cobra experience - I put up with the heat from the engine (which is only about 6" from the firewall) because it was so much fun, but the passengers universally hated riding in it.

GT40's suffer from the same thing - passengers hate the locked down seats and heat and twisted positions.

Pantera guys say the same thing.

So, if you want to get a Cobra or GT40 be prepared to drive it by yourself after the first year.

Well said...the thrill/visceral feedback is worth it as a (Pantera) driver!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I assume you saw this car: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Other-...ash=item3615744fbb:g:yKUAAOSwA29Y3Zkm&vxp=mtr

Has the 427 side oiler available too. If you get it, I want a ride..maybe a drive.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I assume you saw this car: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Other-...ash=item3615744fbb:g:yKUAAOSwA29Y3Zkm&vxp=mtr

Has the 427 side oiler available too. If you get it, I want a ride..maybe a drive.

That's exactly the car I am looking at. No others. I didn't want to say anything as someone else may have snapped it up before I did. It has some very interesting history, and a proper dated and specified 427 engine.

In terms of all the other posts about it not being comfortable, there's no way anyone would buy one for comfort! I do realize that it is a 60's era race car, I don't expect comfort at all.