Just doing my part to reduce rotational mass...

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I'm a big fan of HRE wheels; I like their engineering, appearance and flush fitment. I've ordered at least four sets of wheels from them for my previous cars, but this latest set is truly special and I thought perhaps the group would benefit from a brief review of my experience. I have no relationship to HRE except that they have a bunch of my money.

HRE has, for some time, made a wheel they call the P101 Monoblok. The wheel is somewhat similar in shape and structure to the BBS wheels on our GTs. Recently, and perhaps in response to the new BBS FI-R wheels, HRE came out with a version of the P101 they call the "LW" or Light Weight. The wheel is similar in appearance to the "standard" P101, but apparently they apply special engineering calculations to remove material from the wheel in order to reduce weight. This concept appealed to me. But why bother with a set of special wheels when the GT wheels are pretty light to begin with? Well...

The new Heffner mods I had done are worth about 1000 h.p., which makes traction problematic. Obviously, an easy way to increase traction is to expand the contact patch, and the simplest way to do this is to increase the width and diameter of the tire. The challenge, however, is that if we are talking about a conventional street tire, this also increases rotational mass. So, if one were to reduce the weight of the wheel, one might be able to then increase the size of the tire without paying a significant weight penalty. There is also the important fact that bigger, fatter tires and wheels generally make a car look cool. Truth be told, this may actually be my real motive, but making the car look cool at the expense of actual performance is a flagrant violation of all that is right and proper.

So, I ordered up a set of HRE P101 LWs in an aggressive but extremely boss 20/21 fitment. HRE informed us that if we wanted the LW version, we would have to pay for the engineering cost, as the demand for these wheels for the first generation GT is predicted to be, shall we say, "low". I ponied up the greenbacks, and an eternity later, here's what emerged: Fronts ended up weighing 18.4 pounds (compared to 20.7 for the GT BBS), and Rears at 22.3 (Compared to 25.2). They are the most impressive aftermarket wheels I've ever seen, and HUGE!

20170505_115556.jpg

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I'm a big fan of HRE wheels; I like their engineering, appearance and flush fitment. I've ordered at least four sets of wheels from them for my previous cars, but this latest set is truly special and I thought perhaps the group would benefit from a brief review of my experience. I have no relationship to HRE except that they have a bunch of my money.

HRE has, for some time, made a wheel they call the P101 Monoblok. The wheel is somewhat similar in shape and structure to the BBS wheels on our GTs. Recently, and perhaps in response to the new BBS FI-R wheels, HRE came out with a version of the P101 they call the "LW" or Light Weight. The wheel is similar in appearance to the "standard" P101, but apparently they apply special engineering calculations to remove material from the wheel in order to reduce weight. This concept appealed to me. But why bother with a set of special wheels when the GT wheels are pretty light to begin with? Well...

The new Heffner mods I had done are worth about 1000 h.p., which makes traction problematic. Obviously, an easy way to increase traction is to expand the contact patch, and the simplest way to do this is to increase the width and diameter of the tire. The challenge, however, is that if we are talking about a conventional street tire, this also increases rotational mass. So, if one were to reduce the weight of the wheel, one might be able to then increase the size of the tire without paying a significant weight penalty. There is also the important fact that bigger, fatter tires and wheels generally make a car look cool. Truth be told, this may actually be my real motive, but making the car look cool at the expense of actual performance is a flagrant violation of all that is right and proper.

So, I ordered up a set of HRE P101 LWs in an aggressive but extremely boss 20/21 fitment. HRE informed us that if we wanted the LW version, we would have to pay for the engineering cost, as the demand for these wheels for the first generation GT is predicted to be, shall we say, "low". I ponied up the greenbacks, and an eternity later, here's what emerged: Fronts ended up weighing 18.4 pounds (compared to 20.7 for the GT BBS), and Rears at 22.3 (Compared to 25.2). They are the most impressive aftermarket wheels I've ever seen, and HUGE!

View attachment 46241

They look massively awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland

View attachment 46241

Incredible!

What size tyre are you suggesting go on the rear?

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Wow. Impressive doesn't even begin to cover it. Can not wait to see them mounted on your GT.

Vince H

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Both tire sizes please?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Both tire sizes please?

I don't know the sizes, but I saw them being delivered.

HUGE-TIRES.jpg

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX

View attachment 46243

They don't seem wide enough for those rims.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Both tire sizes please?

275/30/20 front 355/25/21 Rear

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005

View attachment 46243

:rofl

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Those are going to look great. The 20 front 21 rear setup is the way to go for aftermarket wheels.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Weight savings is doubly impressive since going from 18/19 to 20/21.

What are the widths of the wheels? Assuming wider than stock too.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
congrats! I usually never get aftermarket wheels for any of my cars, it is a tough decision for me. I know my self and as soon as I get a set there will have been another that I should have gotten instead so I don't even play the game, however I always thought if I ever did it would be a slightly different version of the original wheels that came on the car so way to go those wheels look really great! now post some pics with them on the car.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Yes, pics please. Also, for TC, I have found that my MT ET Streets do great on my TT car. Don't get caught in the rain though.

Can't wait to see them on the car.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have lusted after HRE wheels forever. To me, they are the best looking out there. I have been too cheap, however, to pull the trigger.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Well then I think I know where this is headed...
IMG_4493.JPG

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
WOW - they look great...
Wonder if they would fit the new GT?
;-)

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
IMG_3411.jpg

One very fuzzy image from the cell phone...professional photos to follow, I hope.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Large and in charge!
They fill the wells out nicely.
Look great!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Car, and house, look great!

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Let us know how the tires "hook up" with all that hp.