I need a New Insurance Company and/or Appraiser

Tejano

GT Owner
May 15, 2012
I have used a traditional insurance company on my 05 GT #1713 for several years now. But in typical insurance company fashion they have depreciated it to the point that if some catastrophe, accident or car theft were to happen, I could never replace it at today's market values after an insurance pay off. My Ford GT #1713 is valued with AIG at WAY below replacement market value which, with my mileage is about $275K. I need a new insurance company. I have found several, all of which have like a 5K mileage limit per year, which is fine. But I need an appraiser. I have reached out to Shelby, of Elite Autos, (from whom I bought the car back in 2012) several times, and have sent pictures with mileage declarations as he asked but he has not been helpful. He has basically ignored my requests. The collector insurance companies are available , but understandably they need an appraisal. I am in Las Vegas. Can anyone direct me to or otherwise help me obtain an appraisal so I can get some decent insurance? It doesn't matter where he is as long as he's acceptable to an insurance company that will sell me what I need. Of course Id rather do it by long distance but if necessary I can fly the guy here for the appraisal, and of course pay his fee and his expenses.

Thanks, Philip 310 748 8449

Last edited:

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
The appraiser I have used is a certified instructor with American Society of Appraisers, in Automotive Specialties. Here is a link to the society's search page:

http://www.appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser

Here is a different auto appraisal organization:

http://www.bocaa.org/find_an_appraiser.html

For agreed-value collector car insurance, I have long been very pleased with using the broker/agent Rally Insurance. They match your needs from options with different insurers. My policies have been with American Modern. For my '06 FGT, interestingly they didn't require an appraisal, because they said their listed book value for the car supported my request for coverage at $320k.

http://www.rallyinsurance.com/products/specialty-auto-insurance

Here is a recent forum thread on the topic, with many members recommending Drew with Classic Auto Insurance:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/32721-insurance-for-a-Ford-GT?highlight=insurance

Last edited:

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Call Drew 317-806-2902 on Monday. You will be glad you did. He has all my cars.

DC-DD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2010
PA / FL

+1 Call Drew That's who I use.

Dominic

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006

+1

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What he said ...What he said ...What he said ... Drew is de best!!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Question for the OP.

Doesn't an agreed value policy make this issue moot?

As long as the value stated is within tolerance of recently recorded sales (+/- 20%) I believe an appraisal is not required.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I concur with using Drew. I'm in Vegas too and mine is insured with him. He will also handle the appraisal (if one is needed).

How long have you been in Vegas? We moved here three years ago and found our insurance premiums across the board more than doubled from our Colorado location. Drew managed to keep the premium in check (very low miles driven) but it's still more than we paid in CO.

Last edited:

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Another vote for Drew. When I registered my GT first time, MVD did not want to allow emissions check exemption and Drew was available to verify GT was under collector car insurance. Great service.

stilllookin

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2007
Cornelius NC
Phill, I have been using Hagerty with a gauranteed, agreed value on a dozen cars for several years now. I have been happy with the service and price.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Question for the OP.

As long as the value stated is within tolerance of recently recorded sales (+/- 20%) I believe an appraisal is not required.
Depends. Some companies will want an initial appraisal of unusual cars to make sure they aren't over insuring it, to prevent loss claims shenanigans.

Call Robbin at Midwest Classic Insurance in Auburn, IL. I have all of my cars and (old) bikes insured through him with Infinity, and no appraisals were needed on any for great agreed value coverage with automatic increases in coverage every year.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Stop jacking around and call Drew. He insures my Ford GT, a 67 Lambo Miura, and a bunch of other collectibles.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Question for the OP.

My policy is with AIG Private Client group. They cover all my cars at stated value. My Heritage is covered at close to $400K. I go through the Dell Agency, which is the Barrett Jackson endorsed underwriter. They are located in Maumee Ohio. If you are with AIG, then something is amiss. You should make sure you have a collector policy through their private client side of the business.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My policy is with AIG Private Client group. They cover all my cars at stated value. My Heritage is covered at close to $400K. I go through the Dell Agency, which is the Barrett Jackson endorsed underwriter. They are located in Maumee Ohio. If you are with AIG, then something is amiss. You should make sure you have a collector policy through their private client side of the business.

I used the AIG (before it was branded Barrett Jackson) for years. When I had my Cobra they covered the GT at a very favorable rate. Once I sold the other cars the GT rate went to $1/1000 of coverage. Their policy is that if you have older cars that the new cars are then covered at the same rates, but without the older collection to go along the rate is adjusted. It turns out that their rate was competitive when I was in CO, but after we moved to NV Drw saved me about 1/2 over AIG.

My point here is that you should shop around and compare rates (and coverage!) from several places. Location really does matter.

Last edited:

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I've had mine with AIG private client group as well and never needed an appraisal. That being said it costs me close to 7k for both my GT's a year. Been emailing back and forth with Drew about making a change and it appears likely I will be saving about half what I'm spending now.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
DREW

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
I have one of my GTs with classic auto insurance (but Drew did not help me, someone else did). They did balk somewhat at my requested amount ($270 K), but did finally agree. Their price was not cheap, but a little less than Hagerty- I was surprised as I have a half dozen valuable cars with Hagerty already

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have not ignored any requests. Call me today at 8709318004 and I will help you with this. And I also agree with the above statements that Drew at classic is the best.