Clear film

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
What's your opinion on them both?
My cars take a serious beating from extremely/overly salted roads throughout the winter and all I can say is that on my FF it's made it through 2 winters and still looks like it did the day I had the paint corrected and subsequently protected. There is video clip on YouTube of this schmee character keying his car...

I know that the gents that I use in the UK are working on a hybrid of the 2.

I will no doubt have my GT40 fully protected - once I finalise purchase of the car.....

Sorry for not being more technically versed

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
I had clear film placed 10 yrs ago when I first bought the GT. Just had all of it replaced and the entire car done, like a wrap. All the scoops and lights were removed and the film was applied and the car was reassembled. Looks amazing. I am in Sarasota and would tell you my installer is the bomb. He gets cars for all over the state. He just finished an FF, a 918, a GT3 RS and a Mclaren P1 in the past few weeks. He is worth the trip and you can stop in at Hefner's and get turbo'd at the same time ;)
Pete at First Impression http://firstimpressionpad.com/
He also does an excellent windshield cover as well.
The last thing is he applied the ceramic coating over the clear film and dirt slides off like you wouldn't believe.

Do it...you won't regret it.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
I had clear film placed 10 yrs ago when I first bought the GT. Just had all of it replaced and the entire car done, like a wrap. All the scoops and lights were removed and the film was applied and the car was reassembled. Looks amazing. I am in Sarasota and would tell you my installer is the bomb. He gets cars for all over the state. He just finished an FF, a 918, a GT3 RS and a Mclaren P1 in the past few weeks. He is worth the trip and you can stop in at Hefner's and get turbo'd at the same time ;)
Pete at First Impression http://firstimpressionpad.com/
He also does an excellent windshield cover as well.
The last thing is he applied the ceramic coating over the clear film and dirt slides off like you wouldn't believe.

Do it...you won't regret it.

I'm very interested in the windshield cover you mention....is it the same, or different film?

Thank you very much

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
I'm very interested in the windshield cover you mention....is it the same, or different film?

Thank you very much

It is specialized for the windshield. The brand is Bray. Pete applied it to my Mclaren 12c for track protection. So far so good.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
It is specialized for the windshield. The brand is Bray. Pete applied it to my Mclaren 12c for track protection. So far so good.
Thank you, exactly what I was thinking bit for my 458Challenge car :)

Definitely looking into this

Cheers

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Expect to pay around $7,000 or so. I used Auto Supershield in Boca, 561-367-0101. They were double the quotes of lesser shops and were performing triage on a car wrapped and butchered up by another shop.

As a comparison cost, what would it cost just to repaint a FGT, outside only. Around here, I think an as-good-as-factory repaint would cost around $5K for a Mustang, etc. Does that sound reasonable for a FGT rockchip repaint?

Last edited:

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Both Xpel and Suntek are great! Used both many times. If it's primarily a street car and won't rack up miles, I prefer Suntek. It's thinner and more clear. If your car will be on the track and environments prone to debris, I prefer Xpel. It's thicker and can take more abuse but isn't as clear and invisible as Suntek.
If you plan to hold onto your car, then repainting may not be terrible, but it can be tricky matching and blending unless you repaint the whole car. A high end paint job would probably cost $15-20k. If you plan to sell your car, i expect it will be harder to find a buyer and resale would take a hit because it's not original, but it really depends on the buyer.

Last edited:

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Went with Prestige ClearGuard Nano. Pics to follow

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
e8e9a053a065281d1c2ec30f15ace90b.jpg
de7b174dc5202637d5d824f041f6c73b.jpg
b3acc650a142653e28c894f71e2e159d.jpg

Decided to take off the side stripe as well. Bought a set of replacement stripes just to have for the future in case I want to put them back on.

Doing suspension and engine bay tomorrow.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
paint looks immaculate!

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
paint looks immaculate!

Thank you. I've been very lucky to have it this long and never have had any dings or bad chips. The clear film will now have to take it the rest of the way.

Mpinelli24

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2017
Chicago
Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: