Ford, Ferrari Evaluating Evo Kits for 2018

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ford and Ferrari could roll out with ‘Evo’ kits for its existing GTE machinery next year, amid the arrival of at least two new cars to the GTE-Pro class in both the FIA World Endurance Championship and at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

GTE regulations allow each manufacturer to submit an upgrade kit within a three-year homologation period, with both the Ford GT and Ferrari 488 GTE currently in year two, and the window closing on a potential update.

“It’s logical people could come to the assumption that we might do an evo kit,” Ford GT Program Manager George Howard-Chappell told Sportscar365. “We might, but there’s no confirmation or otherwise what we’re doing or if we’ll even do it.”

Per the category’s technical regulations, manufacturers are allowed to make a one-time permitted performance or reliability update, in what’s otherwise a class-wide freeze in development.

Continued...

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/ford-ferrari-evaluating-evo-kits-for-2018/

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Interesting. Thanks for posting that.0

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Small , 'package-able ', turbo, V-8 Ford motor

andy (ajb)

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
A different Street car in 2019?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Small , 'package-able ', turbo, V-8 Ford motor

andy (ajb)

I agree! I'm thinking an Ecoboost Coyote 5.0 at about 800hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I would think a bump to a 4.0 liter V6 motor might be a advantageous move, , A V 8, with 2 extra cylinders, cam lobes etc. not necessary.. Larger displacement should give a little more lower end power and torque in off boost or low boost situations more room for horsepower bump in the street car,, I only hope if this happens I can send my car in for an engine swap or get a new one ..:biggrin

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I agree! I'm thinking an Ecoboost Coyote 5.0 at about 800hp.

Anything over 4.0L has to be naturally aspirated and you can't get anywhere near the same HP out of a 5.0LV8 as you can a turbo 6. And it wouldn't matter even if you could since it would be BoP'd down to least common denominator. It would also add weight for power that can't be utilized. The choice of the engine is one of the brilliant things about the NFGT: For racing, it is light with enough power reserve that can't be used due to BoP but is in reserve should the BoP be raised. The reality is that the NFGT is a perfectly balanced car for its class.

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
V8 has to be naturally aspirated and you can't get anywhere near the same HP out of that as you can a turbo 6. And it wouldn't matter even if you could since it would be BoP'd down to least common denominator.

Too many rules! I'd just be happy to see the GTs running the boost and ballast weight that shows it's full potential.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Too many rules! I'd just be happy to see the GTs running the boost and ballast weight that shows it's full potential.

I hope they just let the cars run full open once before this is all over. I believe the NFGT could very well repeat the 30+ lap gain that they had in the 66 race. They way the do it now is a race of car+driver. Take off all the car hobbles and let the horses run on their own.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
or get a new one ..:biggrin

Here's your new one. And now hand over the allocation for the original one to me, and I'll give it the love it deserves.

2017-Shelby-Ford-F-150-Raptor.jpg

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Given that the GT motor is putting out 3hp/cu. in, boring and stroking to 4.0 litres should give 736hp!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Still less than a Doge Demon :eek

But hardly comparable, the NGT is utmost drama :willy

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
3.8L TT V8, electronic valve system. ;-)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Let me ruin the suspense: not happenin.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Shhhh, I baking a cake here! ��

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Here's your new one. And now hand over the allocation for the original one to me, and I'll give it the love it deserves.

View attachment 46026

Thanks for looking out for me !! You're a great friend !! :biggrin

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Anytime buddy. Your welcome :thumbsup

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I hope they just let the cars run full open once before this is all over. I believe the NFGT could very well repeat the 30+ lap gain that they had in the 66 race. They way the do it now is a race of car+driver. Take off all the car hobbles and let the horses run on their own.

I agree... I think they should have one race at the end of each year where there is no BoP and let them show us what they have...

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California

DBK, dropping bombs as always. Haha!

Vince H

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I agree... I think they should have one race at the end of each year where there is no BoP and let them show us what they have...

I like that idea. :thumbsup