Track Mode

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
Went to VIR for 2 days, so didn’t get to put any more miles on the car until today. Interestingly the track event was shared with the Ferrari CCR race series. I’ve always admired the 458/88 styling, but I must say the GT just blows it away – there’s not a bad angle on this car, every way you look at it just puts a smile on your face!

Scoped out some smooth pavement and ran the car in Track mode for the first time today. Wow :thumbsup Sport mode is fantastic on the road, but based on a brief exploration, the throttle response and DCT calibration for up and down shifts in Track mode is nothing short of wonderful. You definitely notice being lower and the car feels so connected to the ground -- I tried a couple of constant radius 270* exit/entry ramps and the car just sticks and exudes confidence. Can’t wait to try it on the track! One point worth noting, you need to select Park to exit Track mode, so any street based experimentation needs to be carefully planned ahead…..

I mentioned before that throttle response in Sport mode is excellent, which it is, however I’m finding normal mode more appropriate for bumpy low speed driving (e.g. Subdivisions), to avoid unintended acceleration from the bumps in rough Michigan roads as my foot unintentionally moves the accelerator a touch with the bigger bumps!

300 miles and 50% of break-in complete and the car will go for its first wash in the next day or two (any excuse for another drive!)

The rearview camera, being very low, gives a really cool view when backing up onto driveways (I also need to dust as well as wash):

Attachments

• IMG_3975.jpg
    IMG_3975.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 431

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I didn't know that one. Interesting.

Thanks for the continued write ups.

One point worth noting, you need to select Park to exit Track mode, so any street based experimentation needs to be carefully planned ahead…..
:

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
NJS,

Thanks for the review. I'm assuming you can raise the front of the car in any mode... say for a speed bump, etc?

Enjoy,

Lance

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
NJS,

Thanks for the review. I'm assuming you can raise the front of the car in any mode... say for a speed bump, etc?

Enjoy,

Lance

Good question -- I didn't try that, but referring to the manual it says that front lift is not available in either Track or V-max modes (makes sense as the coil springs are out of the loop in those modes).

Also it says that Trans and Turbo calibration are the same in Sport and Track Modes -- from my experience, either throttle calibration is more aggressive or the stiffer suspension and damping modes make the acceleration/braking experience more visceral, and fun!

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Good question -- I didn't try that, but referring to the manual it says that front lift is not available in either Track or V-max modes (makes sense as the coil springs are out of the loop in those modes).

Also it says that Trans and Turbo calibration are the same in Sport and Track Modes -- from my experience, either throttle calibration is more aggressive or the stiffer suspension and damping modes make the acceleration/braking experience more visceral, and fun!

Would you say that the throttle is a bit too responsive for careful modulation, say on corner exit? I have gone to great lengths on a mechanical throttles to re-cut the throttle cable cam in order to slow opening rates. Low speed corners on bumpy surfaces require finesse and a quick throttle can really hurt exit control.
Thank you for all the information you are providing.

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
Would you say that the throttle is a bit too responsive for careful modulation, say on corner exit? I have gone to great lengths on a mechanical throttles to re-cut the throttle cable cam in order to slow opening rates. Low speed corners on bumpy surfaces require finesse and a quick throttle can really hurt exit control.
Thank you for all the information you are providing.

No -- I think it will be great on track. At real slow speeds (10-20mph) in 1st or 2nd with 2-3" bumps is a different proposition to more rapid corner exit (especially with a harness on)... One of the 270* exit ramps today in track mode was bumpy and I had no issue with throttle modulation at 50-65mph in 3rd/4th.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cool stuff!

Ed

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
This is truly a glimpse into the first hand experience of the New Ford GT. Thank you sir, may I have another?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Pics!!!! Please.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
You know, if you set up a live web cam with a paid subscription, I think you would make a killing. I will be first to subscribe. :lol :cheers

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Great info, thanks for sharing.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
good stuff !!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
thanks for sharing

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ask StormCat's girlfriend. She's pretty good at live webcams.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
And Rocketman for the stills :rofl:rofl

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
What you talkin about. .
And Rocketman for the stills :rofl:rofl
Ron's a rookie..:biggrin

Attachments

• 2017-04-23 22.46.28.jpg
    2017-04-23 22.46.28.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 216

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State