Maintenance 'musts' for a garage queen?

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a low mile 2005. Thinking about an 11 year old car with low miles, I am looking for some advice on what must be done to ensure high levels of reliability and drivability.

The car is flawless and was part of a collection. However, I recognize that things will need replacing, regardless of mileage, after 10+ years.

Of course I will replace all fluids and tires. After that....over time, how do the engine and radiator hoses hold up? What about plugs and wires? Fuel filter? Suspension bushings/engine/tranny mounts?

Trying to get a handle on the parts and services should be completed after I take delivery.

Thanks, in advance.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Oil pump belt comes to mind.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
If you are looking for a car to drive and enjoy, get a car with higher miles and well kept. If you want a collector and garage queen I'm sure some guys here will give you some good advice.

Glad you are looking to get one of the greatest cars ever!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If it flows (is liquid), change it.

Supercharger. Mine sat for about 4 years and the bearings on the snout went out from belt tension. Signs were funny noises and oil on the top of the engine (not much but enough to matter). The blower can be rebuilt (I have the place but not in active memory cells) for about $1000, cheaper than buying a new one.

No matter what, get new tires,l especially if you intend to do any spirited driving or track it. You'd be OK on the originals for casual driving short distances to car shows, but the Goodyears are pretty "stiff" and do harden. Look for checking on the sidewalls.

PS. I have advocated for a long time that cars ECUs should not only keep an odometer reading but an engine running hours. It can be OK to run the engine to circulate fluids and get to operating temp).

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Check the owners manual for the 30 k service. To be done every 30 k or 3 years. Check a / c. Holds 16 oz if I remember correctly.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
My plan is to drive it regularly. However the last 12 years it has been driven very sparingly. Don't want to go crazy and change everything, just looking to take care of potential problem areas and the essentials.

mymach5

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne, Florida
Just drive it around town and learn the feel of the car. Most likely everything is good to go. Once you are comfortable drive it a little harder. If something sounds off, describe it on the forum. Someone here will be able to tell you what it is. These cars are not as fragile as some think.

lucky73

Apr 5, 2017
I am surprised to hear anyone thinks they are fragile?!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Dust boots on rear suspension knuckles are a pretty common issue with age. Other than that, all the above posts pretty much cover things. The secret to keeping these cars healthy is to DRIVE them

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have advocated for a long time that cars ECUs should not only keep an odometer reading but an engine running hours.

The Ford ECU keeps track of neither.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Dust boots on rear suspension knuckles are a pretty common issue with age. Other than that, all the above posts pretty much cover things. The secret to keeping these cars healthy is to DRIVE them

Yeah, ditto that. I'm at 45Kmi and no issues so far.