Clamshell Gas Strut Specs

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Does anyone know the specs?

Not the Ford part number. I know that. I don't want to buy any more struts that have been on the shelf since 2004.

I can measure open and closed length, but the pressure/weight spec is not on the OEM part.

Looking to source from McMaster Carr or Columbia Struts.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Sorry don't know but just bought 2 new ones from Ford and I can see the difference in holding power already. definitely better than the 11 year old ones that were there. Is there a problem with the units sitting ? They are pretty much a sealed unit anyways.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Gary, I asked Ford parts if there was another compatible strut besides those labeled Ford GT and they said they were specially designed for just the GT. I said that seems like a waste of time for the engineers to design them just for the GT when time was so limited and they had already used parts from other Ford cars, but he said that's what they did. I ordered a set 2 weeks ago and they are much better than my 11 year old originals.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I got a set from Ford that were leaking in the shrink packaging. Another set was fine. Gary, I'd order OEM and reject them if you see any leaking OR you can compress them at all in the package.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I installed new OEM last year and they work well.
Best,
Mark

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Big Inch Blake got new ones and his clamshell blew shut in a light breeze.

They are made by Suspa. Wish I knew the weight rating.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
What about some reverse engineering, can anyone provide the weight of the clamshell (with the rear glass)?

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I installed new OEM's last year (very easy install/replacement BTW) and they have held up just fine. Plus, Ford offers a 24 mo SERVICE PARTS WARRANTY so if anything happens (part malfunctions) they will replace the part at no cost.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
installed a pair last year ..... big big diffence... about $40.00 if I recall. Ford Service Parts

andy (ajb)

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
$40 each up here in Canada

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
At that price, why bother trying to find something else?

Casper

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2006
Great Falls, MT
My damper struts had issues , wouldn't hold clam shell up , but I think cold weather here in Montana was affecting them. Price for the dampers here was $53.00 I believe. Nice for Ford to warranty them for 2 years, wish they would have warrantied the gauges.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Everything had a warranty for 36K or 36 months whichever came first.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Didn't Scott (northwood) sell an aftermarket set of struts that were supposed to be improved over oem? Not sure if he still does but perhaps he would chime in...

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Didn't Scott (northwood) sell an aftermarket set of struts that were supposed to be improved over oem? Not sure if he still does but perhaps he would chime in...

I did a Forum search before I bought my struts a few months ago and couldn't find anything. I think my struts lasting 11 years is pretty good. How long do the struts last on SUVs and hatchbacks? Cold weather definitely identifies weak struts faster.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Installed mine ( new ones) this weekend. Wow what a difference. You can feel the strength as you open as well as the the increased force required to close the shell. The old ones were pretty much done. Had to practically lift the clam shell up and it would fall on its own to close. Big Difference and I am much happier now.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
You could probably make some kind of a test rig using stacked weights on a stock strut to figure out the specifications.

cedarstang

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime

I just got a set from him works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I have plenty of the heavy duty units in stock. they are after market but they are stronger. PM me

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I broke the code.

The OEM struts are 540 newtons / 120 lbs extension force.

Unfortunately, 120 lbs seems to be the maximum pressure made in the OEM strut physical dimensions (15" total length; 5.5" stroke).

I found one listing for 150 lbs, but they turned out to be not available. I would get 140-150 lbs if I could. Plenty of 120 lb. options for $10-$20 each.