First Drive

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
Drove the car for the first time today, About 100 miles of freeway, surface street and town driving:

IMG_3923.jpg

First impressions: This thing is just awesome!

The engine doesn't have the same amazing sound of a V8, but it spins up so quickly that it just punches you in the back. Plus the turbo whine is just behind your head!

But to me the most impressive feature is the Transmission -- hit the gas at 60mph and the shift from 7th gear to 3rd takes place instantly, and the car just takes off!

For me Sport mode worked best on the street -- Normal mode had the engine at 1,700 rpm or lower -- too much laboring for break-in in my mind.

Wing deployed in sport mode at about the legal speed limit. Had to take a trip across the border to Mexico to get the air brake to deploy:wink

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Enjoy it. First owner impressions are terrific

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks for sharing that. Please continue to share your impressions. The good, bad and ugly. Your car looks fantastic.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Sounds like your enjoying it. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
A few more comments from the first days driving: I was concerned about the ride hieght on Michigan roads, but no issues at all. Also with the front end in raised mode it cleared my driveway approach with at least 2-3" clearance - my GT 350R barely clears the same driveway.

The only negative is that at 6' 3" the seating/headroom is limited -- don't think a helmet will fit ��

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The approach angles are excellent on the car. You may not have an answer to this since you're still breaking in the car, but I'd like to know if you want to naturally shift the car as it approaches redline or does it seem to hit the redline too soon.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Great feedback! Keep it coming.
How does it do in Tow/Haul mode? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hey Nick, it was great to meet you in Detroit! Thank you for showing us your car. Great to know you're out enjoying it. thanks for sharing!

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
congrats! looks incredible! more pics and driving impressions! :)

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Thanks for sharing. Hope we get more updates on your driving experiences. Gorgeous car. Congrats.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Drove the car for the first time today, About 100 miles of freeway, surface street and town driving:

View attachment 45894

First impressions: This thing is just awesome!

The engine doesn't have the same amazing sound of a V8, but it spins up so quickly that it just punches you in the back. Plus the turbo whine is just behind your head!

But to me the most impressive feature is the Transmission -- hit the gas at 60mph and the shift from 7th gear to 3rd takes place instantly, and the car just takes off!

For me Sport mode worked best on the street -- Normal mode had the engine at 1,700 rpm or lower -- too much laboring for break-in in my mind.

Wing deployed in sport mode at about the legal speed limit. Had to take a trip across the border to Mexico to get the air brake to deploy:wink

Wow... I am so excited just reading your post. :eek I drove a GT4RS on the track today with PDK and all I could think of is how great the DCT tranny is and how awesome the NFGT will be.
I am hoping Ford will have a NGT at the rally taking people for rides.
Your GT is beautiful - as if you didn't already know. :thumbsup

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Congrats and thank you for sharing. The color combo looks awesome. More driving impressions and pics outdoors please.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Sounds great, totally envious :willy

Enjoy your new car to the max

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I think you might have the highest mile customer owned GT! It was a treat to see your car last week, enjoy it!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the new GT!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Nick - Thanks for sharing! ;-)

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Thanks really nice to hear forum members feedback

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Awesome!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
That is so cool to see new customer NFGT's hitting the road... I'm guessing there was a lot of rubbernecking going on during your road trip. I can't wait to put some miles on my ride when it finally arrives. Congrats!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
So good to hear Nick! Curious how your face feels from smiling the entire time. Haha! I know I will be when mine arrives. As you can see, the entire Forum is living vicariously through you. Please keep us posted. Enjoy!

Vince H