First Drive

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I knew it'd pop up somewhere eventually!

[video=youtube;JLePmmXabG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLePmmXabG8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Look how small it looks next to the Fusion a couple lanes over!

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
Drove another 70 miles or so today. Even more impressed by the DCT and the sound. Definitely Race car! This car puts a smile on your face every time you see it, let alone drive it. My main worry driving it, is the number of other drivers with phones/cameras taking pics...

Only down side for me is the seating/steering wheel position for tall drivers -- For me the top of the steering wheel, even in it's highest position, eliminates the top 40% of the display -- hence the turn signal in the video -- I just can't see the flasher warning lights or the top of the tacho and temp gauges.

Also it gets pretty warm in the cabin, even with the AC turned up -- the competition car is going to be toasty....

A picture before today's ride and then from the passenger seat -- rear view mirrors are fantastic!

Attachments

• IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3937.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_3935.jpg
    IMG_3935.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 793

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Great stuff. Thank you! NJS - how tall are you? Wondering if I’ll have tall driver problems at 6 feet tall (and more importantly how I’ll fit w a helmet on).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
AWESOME!!!Cant wait to do the same! God only knows when!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thanks for posting NS. Did you get the harness attachments? If you could, please show where the belts attach and how. Looking at Sparcos pic, they seem to be standard attachment clips at the ends of the belts. It looks like the waist belt is pull up.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Thanks for posting and congrats!

Maybe a few interior photos?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ah, that rear view mirror photo is too cool! Keep on driving NJS!

Ed

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ahhhh, I wondered what the whole flying buttress thing was all about...obviously it helps you see behind you better! :)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I knew it'd pop up somewhere eventually!

Geez, how do you find that stuff?

Ed

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for the Rally to see more!

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
Great stuff. Thank you! NJS - how tall are you? Wondering if I’ll have tall driver problems at 6 feet tall (and more importantly how I’ll fit w a helmet on).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be fine -- I'm 6' 3" with a relatively long Torso.

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
Thanks for posting NS. Did you get the harness attachments? If you could, please show where the belts attach and how. Looking at Sparcos pic, they seem to be standard attachment clips at the ends of the belts. It looks like the waist belt is pull up.

Yes, The first pic shows the Shoulder Belt attachments (note vertical adjustment):

The second shows the 4 anti-sub belt studs bonded to the tub (I removed the seat cushion to help with headroom). The cushion is slotted to allow the belts to pass thru, but needs to be removed for harness installation. Note also the rhs lap belt attachment, lhs of picture (the 2 studs at the bottom are the forward cushion mounts -- there are 2 more at the rear, not shown):

Attachments

• IMG_3958.jpg
    IMG_3958.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_3956.jpg
    IMG_3956.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 635

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I,m 6'3 also and I just fit in the car, but with out a gurney bubble not going to be able to wear a helmet. How thick is the seat bottom material NJS.

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
The rear of the cushion is pretty thin -- my guess is 3/4" - 1" when compressed. Headliner removal may get another 1/4"-1/2", but a gurney bubble isn't likely an option with the carbon tub:

Attachments

• IMG_0007 2.jpg
    IMG_0007 2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 635

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
NJS,
Being from south Florida I'm particularly interested in the AC issue. How bad is it and do you think perhaps it's something they can improve upon?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
congrats on the car and thanks for sharing your first impressions. looking forward for more to come...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
NJS,
Being from south Florida I'm particularly interested in the AC issue. How bad is it and do you think perhaps it's something they can improve upon?

Borrowing Dr Frank's mankini is one way to stay cooler.

Ed

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I just got to sit in one and try it on for size. I'm 6'-4", 210lbs. Legroom is marginal, but do-able. Headroom about the same as the '06. The problem will be when wearing a helmet; in the '06 I just slide the seat forwards a little and rake the seatback to adopt an Italian driving position and get more headroom. Of course, in the new one you can't do that. Think I'll be tracking mine with the seat cushion removed!

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
NJS,

There's a fair heat load -- the near horizontal windshield and flat, black IP, and slanted sides of the door windows capture a lot of solar energy on sunny days, plus if your driving towards the sun your arms and legs are in the sun too, and of course you're sitting right in front of the engine :thumbsup

The AC is effective, but I'm finding on sunny days that I need to keep it on minimum (65) most of the time. That said I do like cooler temps when driving -- my other cars are typically set at 68-69 in similar weather.

My comments were mainly focused on how toasty the Competition will be, even in Northern states rather than any dissatisfaction with the AC so far.....

Last edited:

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
You should be fine -- I'm 6' 3" with a relatively long Torso.

Thanks NJS! Really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience w the NFGT. Enjoy your beautiful car in good health!