Anyone with current gen Explorer?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Getting ready to put to pasture one of our Jeeps and am considering an Explorer for the kids . Anyone have the current model? Thoughts? Reliable ? Thanks

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Have a current gen Sport. Solid car. About 15,000 miles and one year of ownership. No hiccups as of yet, mechanical or otherwise. My only complaint is the horrid fuel capacity (16 or 18 gal?). Averaged 19-20 mpg, 60 mile round trip commute 5-7 days/week, mostly highway, and I would have to fill up once, maybe twice a week. I don't drive it anymore as it's now my wife's car. As far as SUV's, I guess this is decent, but I'm not accustomed to getting such terrible gas mileage on a daily.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I bought my daughter a 2016 XLT with AWD and a few extras. No ecoboost. She had been driving an Escape. She now has 3 little kids and a big dog and loves it. No complaints that I've heard about. She was particularly impressed with the front bumper radar.

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
My wife has a loaded 2016 Explorer Sport. It's a nice SUV but the gas mileage is very bad. Another annoying problem is the insulation around the foot well is very poorly designed. On Calgary's coldest winter days your lower legs and feet are freezing cold. We also have problems with the heated / cooled seats. They don't seem to work properly. I don't think we would buy another Explorer.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Have a current gen Sport. Solid car. About 15,000 miles and one year of ownership. No hiccups as of yet, mechanical or otherwise. My only complaint is the horrid fuel capacity (16 or 18 gal?). Averaged 19-20 mpg, 60 mile round trip commute 5-7 days/week, mostly highway, and I would have to fill up once, maybe twice a week. I don't drive it anymore as it's now my wife's car. As far as SUV's, I guess this is decent, but I'm not accustomed to getting such terrible gas mileage on a daily.
Heh, heh-- commute with yer FGT and you'll think 19-20 is pretty good!

I've used Explorers as rental cars a few times and like them better than the GM alternatives. It's a tool for a job that has significant trade offs,
But if you need the capability of a SUV that's the one I'd choose.

Pantera1889

Dec 24, 2006
Hampstead,Md
My Wife has a loaded 2015 with 50k miles already. Absolutely loves it! The only gripe was the horrible Hankook tire that it came with. I put a set of Michelins on it at 40k and it is excellent in all weather conditions. Very comfortable .
Ron

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
2011 Limited Edition 4WD with 80k miles. Zero problems. Replaced brakes and a battery. Normal maintenance stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
PM me if you want / need a ''Ford Friends and Family X-plan'' discount to purchase your new Explorer !!

(No, I was unable to get Xplan or Aplan on the new Ford GT.... :):)

andy (Ajb)

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Bought the wife a '16 Explorer Sport loaded last summer and has 3k miles. While she's still sulking about not getting a Range, I love the explorer. It's a nice change up from the Raptor. Shifts quick and has enough pickup to be a fun "mom" SUV to drive. I got a tune from Torrie that was suppose to add 60hp but it feels like it made it slower. Other than that the only downside is the 15-18mpg. My mother in law got a '17 XLT which is hideously slow but has better features (Sync 3, massage chair and a few other goodies).