FIA WEC - 6 Hours of Silverstone 2017

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ford GT gets the win! Doors flying open, flat tires; no big deal. :lol

Hell of a drive by all 6 drivers. Can't help but think the 66 got screwed out of a podium by strategy...

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Well done CGR

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Little known fact - CGR UK has programmed the doors to open 5 minutes in and with 5 minutes to go. Just to let you know how much time has gone by/is left.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Yes!
Man, something as simple as a door latch could have cost them the race.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Congrats Ford. Great race. Great pass by the Toyota for the LMP1 win.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Great race! Congratulations Blue!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Kind of amazing that Derani seemingly wins over and over when he debuts.

C9jL8H8XgAQKKGy.jpg

C9jMwS4W0AADruZ.jpg

C9jMW2ZWsAAkCpk.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/tincknell-priaulx-score-home-gte-pro-win-at-silverstone/

Ford Takes GTE-Pro Win in Silverstone

Ford Chip Ganassi Racing has won the GTE-Pro battle in the FIA World Endurance Championship season-opening Six Hours of Silverstone, successfully holding back competition from Porsche GT Team and AF Corse.

The pair of Ford GTs both led at various stages in the race, although Harry Tincknell was out front for the final stint, taking a home victory alongside Andy Priaulx and Ford newcomer Pipo Derani.

The reigning European Le Mans Series champion pitted with 20 minutes on the clock for a front-left tire, briefly losing the lead, but Fred Makowiecki followed suit soon after, putting the Ford back ahead of the Porsche 911 RSR.

This came after Billy Johnson had led for a while during the middle part of the race, with his sister No. 66 Ford eventually dropping back to finish fourth with Olivier Pla at the wheel.

It wasn’t a completely smooth race for the eventual class winners however, as a loose door brought Priaulx into the pits after 30 minutes, putting the car on an alternative strategy as only the front-left tire was changed in the early stop.

Nevertheless, the three-time FIA World Touring Car Champion managed to make up time after the unscheduled stop, before handing over to Derani and Tincknell later in the race.

Ford had to hold off attempts all throughout the race from the No. 91 Porsche which ran strongly on its series debut with Makowiecki and Richard Lietz.

The Frenchman started seventh in class but had a strong opening stint, taking the car up to second and battling Priaulx for the lead early in the race.

He was back in the car for the final stint and was set for a second-place finish until he came into the pits with less than 15 minutes on the clock, dropping him to third.

The No. 51 Ferrari 488 GTE was also fighting for the lead, and new-for-2017 Ferrari factory driver Alessandro Pier Guidi took advantage of the Porsche’s pit stop to take second position in the final few laps.

One of the race’s two Full Course Yellows was caused by Kevin Estre’s No. 92 Porsche going up in flames with an engine fire at the midway point, taking that car out of contention.

Sam Bird meanwhile was handed a 15-second penalty for contact with Mathias Beche’s LMP2 car at Abbey, dropping the No. 71 Ferrari to sixth.

Aston Martin Racing had a race to forget in the Pro category, with both Aston Martin Vantage GTEs off the pace and finishing at the back of the class.

Jonny Adam collided with the ByKolles car at pit entry in the final hour, damaging the No. 97 Aston Martin and further adding to the British marque’s troubles.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
For those of you keeping score, GT now has wins at:

Daytona
Laguna Seca
Watkins Glen
Mosport
Le Mans
Fuji
Shanghai
Silverstone

Not bad for 15 months of racing...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Quite insane actually. Wow

For those of you keeping score, GT now has wins at:

Daytona
Laguna Seca
Watkins Glen
Mosport
Le Mans
Fuji
Shanghai
Silverstone

Not bad for 15 months of racing...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
33947339011_ec9b1a9946_b.jpg

33947339921_887e8b9767_b.jpg

33947340231_707706ec3c_b.jpg

33947340631_99b8cd2051_b.jpg

33941651141_116ef49edd_b.jpg

C9jf6zWWsAEdD5d.jpg

C9jd_3rXkAA42Dm.jpg

C9jcabjXgAESZIF.jpg

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
:thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ford Wins First WEC Race of the Season

• #67 Ford GT of Andy Priaulx (GB), Harry Tincknell (GB) and Pipo Derani (BRA) converted pole position to victory in tough first race of the season
  • Despite leading for a large part of the race the #66 Ford GT of Stefan Mücke (GER), Olivier Pla (FRA) and Billy Johnson (US) had to settle for fourth place

SILVERSTONE, UK, April 16, 2017 – The Ford Chip Ganassi Racing team has dealt the first blow in the battle for the 2017 FIA World Endurance Championship by taking victory at Silverstone. Briton Harry Tincknell was first past the chequered flag in the #67 Ford GT at the season opener, sealing the first win of the year. The sister #66 Ford GT was in contention for the win until a safety car period in the second half of the race switched the order. They fought back hard but the trio of Mücke, Pla and Johnson had to settle for fourth place at the flag.

“That was a fabulous way to start the season,” said WEC Team Principal, George Howard-Chappell. “To come out fighting like this, to take pole position and win the race with the #67 car is just amazing and much more than we expected. It was a shame for the #66. They were in with a shout before they got messed about a bit with the safety car. I’m not going to complain though as it has been a great kick off to our season. I’m really happy with the work we’ve done over the winter on fine-tuning the car and with the great support we’ve had from Michelin with the tyres.”

Andy Priaulx started the #67 Ford GT from pole position after a stylish performance in Saturday’s qualifying session. He held the lead at the start despite a strong challenge from a hard-charging Stefan Mücke.

The Ford GTs ran first and second during the opening laps before the #67 GT had to pit early with a technical issue. This put their strategy out of sync with the rest of the class so while the #66 Ford was in the lead the #67 was way down the field. A safety car later in the race completely turned this on its head and the #66 GT lost its 30-second lead and fell down the order.

“After the first stint we were looking down and out but we never gave up,” said Priaulx, alluding to a technical problem the #67 crew experienced in the opening part of the race. “In my second stint I kept my head down and pushed to the maximum. For sure the safety car helped us but you make your own luck in racing. Coming out when it did it reset our race. It’s so good to be able to convert pole position to a win. We leave here leading the championship and we plan on keeping it that way.”

Pipo Derani, who was racing for the first time in GTE Pro today, drove the middle stint in the #67 Ford GT.

“It wasn't an easy race for me,” said Derani. “Everything is new so I had to learn a lot of things, including the tyre management, which on the GT is a little bit different than on a P2 car. It was a really good race and we didn’t expect to be here, especially after the beginning with the problem we had but the guys did a fantastic job, the team was phenomenal and we will enjoy our win.”

With two and half hours of the race remaining there was a Full Course Yellow when an LMP1 car had an accident so the team grabbed the opportunity to pit the #67 car and switch from Derani to Harry Tincknell.

“I was sitting in the office in the truck having a chat with Andy when I heard “Harry, helmet on!” so I didn’t have much time to prepare!” said Tincknell. “I really enjoyed having such a long run and it was one of those times when it goes very quiet in the car and you really get into the zone. I was just nailing the laps one after the other and focusing on the chequered flag. To get the win at home, in front of family, friends and Ford employees is fantastic. I gave it absolutely everything I had today and I hope this sets us on the path to a championship win.”

TOUGH START FOR THE #66 FORD GT BUT THEY WILL BE BACK!

“The start of the race was actually really good for us,” explained Mücke. “We managed to go from fourth to first before Andy got through for the lead again and then ten laps later we were back into the lead. We had some vibrations in the car, which we will investigate. This affected our balance quite a bit but we still managed to stay in the lead even with that problem. Our pit stops were good and when I handed the car over to Billy (Johnson) after a double stint we were in a good position.

Johnson and then Pla after him drove strong double stints but the switch around under the safety car put paid to a podium finish for the #66 Ford GT today.

“It's a real shame,” said Mücke. “Of course it is great for the whole team to win at the start of the season but for us it’s hard to lead for so long then only finish fourth because of the safety car. It was out of our hands today and we will come back even stronger.”

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
ALRIGHT :cheers

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal