FIA WEC - 6 Hours of Silverstone 2017

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Awesome... can't wait for the race tomorrow !

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
***Porsche GT Team, which brought up the rear in GTE-Pro qualifying, also utilized only a single set of tires by design, according to Head of Porsche Motorsport Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser. “With the limited amount of tires, I think it’s difficult for every competitor to judge on the long runs on how it will preform. We just didn’t want to take any risks,” he told Sportscar365.

***Walliser said Andy Priaulx’s pole-winning lap of 1:55.858 in the No. 67 Ford GT was a “quite a statement” and was not in the Porsche’s range.

***Despite new aero restrictions, LMP1 cars have seen a massive gain in lap times, with Kamui Kobayashi’s 1:36.793 lap nearly three seconds faster than the best time set here last year, by Brendon Hartley in the No. 1 Porsche 919 Hybrid. What’s more, Kobayashi’s lap was just 1.245 seconds slower than Nico Rosberg’s race pace-setting lap from last year’s British Grand Prix.

The F1 cars were pretty slow last year, but it's still pretty amazing the closed cockpit cars are getting that close.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hope the Fox coverage comes thru .. :pop:pop

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
***Porsche GT Team, which brought up the rear in GTE-Pro qualifying, also utilized only a single set of tires by design, according to Head of Porsche Motorsport Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser. “With the limited amount of tires, I think it’s difficult for every competitor to judge on the long runs on how it will preform. We just didn’t want to take any risks,” he told Sportscar365.

***Walliser said Andy Priaulx’s pole-winning lap of 1:55.858 in the No. 67 Ford GT was a “quite a statement” and was not in the Porsche’s range.

I can smell that load of crap all the way from Germany.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I can smell that load of crap all the way from Germany.

Look to the next up race at SPA. Not surprisingly, tire life appears to be the Achilles heel of the new Porsche. If Michelin comes up with a new tire construction for the LM race (must introduce it at SPA - 1 race prior), then you can assume the 'fix' is in.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Great start by both GTs. Mücke jumped right up to the lead from 4th on the start, but now Priaulx leads in 67, Mücke in second in the 66. The rest of GTE in serious battles everywhere, so while they're fighting, the Fords have pulled out to a 5 second lead already.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Also, good Lord are these LMP1 cars fast now. Those in-car views are insane. :eek

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Some decent coverage of the GT LeMans class... so far so good

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Oh boy we got a door open...:frown
I see the WEC cars have in fact moved their number placard locations.. I like the old location on the fenders better... I guess this makes for some new toy models

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It appears to have shut. Needless to say, the UK team needs a new latch supplier.

So obviously Porsche was indeed fibbing through qualifying. :lol That car is unreal fast when they get on it. Makowiecki went from 7th to 2nd like it was nothing. Now trying to mow down Mücke for the lead.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
GTs 2-3 after the first hour. Aston hasn't pitted yet. GT #67 will have to work some magic to get back in the mix. #91 stalled in the pits leaving and dropped back 27 seconds, which I expect him to make back nearly immediately whenever he decides to use the throttle.

Looks like 2017 is going to be a Ford vs. Porsche battle.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The Fords jumped out to an easy early lead. I'm wondering if they didn't back them off a little bit.. bop concerns..

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nah, not with the auto BoP and the Le Mans specific BoP. Qualifying pace would have been enough already.

Pipo Derani leading in the #67, still way off sequence. Priaulx said they also had lost tire pressure during the 1st stint.

Billy Johnson (USA) in the #66 currently 2nd but will be the leader. Ford GT is well clear off the Ferrari behind. Lead is about 25 seconds.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Total chaos in the pouring rain. Derani has an excuse to come in early and may put on an intermediate tire. Could mix things up.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wow, engine blown and big fire from the #92 Porsche 911 RSR. Full course yellow, things about to get mixed up.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hopefully this full course yellow will help the 67.. Billy is having a solid Drive

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
All bets may be off after massive Toyota crash. Somehow this thing is trundling back to the pits, spraying bits all over the course.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Wondering why the 66 didn't put under the yellow? I guess if they run a little longer the only need one more stop

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wondering why the 66 didn't put under the yellow? I guess if they run a little longer the only need one more stop

I was going to ask if I missed something. That must be the calculation. Hope they know something we don't.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Sweet pass by the 67.. commentators are saying maybe the indicated pit stops are not accurate

Last edited: