Any opinions about the Mecum Houston GTs (3 of them)

Dwhite

Many of those auctions are a joke. Watch a RM or Sotheby's auction to see how it should be done.

Agree. Liked it better at RM with Max Girardo.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Agree. Liked it better at RM with Max Girardo.

Max Girardo is a pro. Note how he actually identifies the bidders.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWC9HpMKU9U

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
That was not originally a heritage car. That's a previous salvage car that was repainted to gulf colors by "someone" in Texas

At least it looked dry.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
If the guys running these things are shill bidding someone with a bull horn and a badge should shut them down.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
If the guys running these things are shill bidding someone with a bull horn and a badge should shut them down.

Sadly my understanding is they 'are allowed' to shill bid up to reserve

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sadly my understanding is they 'are allowed' to shill bid up to reserve

"Advance the bidding"

"Protect the reserve"

The states in which it's legal have bullshit terms for it. It's shill bidding.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
what was the name of the big outfit who ran the Auburn, IN auction Labor Day? I think they are long gone due to their inappropriate behavior and letting people pay cash under the table at their auctions to avoid taxes. it was totally ridiculous but like I said, the back of the entry form (in small print) said they were allowed to bid the cars up which a lot of them still do today. I will give Sothebey's and RM some respect for not pulling that crap from what I have seen.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
what was the name of the big outfit who ran the Auburn, IN auction Labor Day? I think they are long gone due to their inappropriate behavior and letting people pay cash under the table at their auctions to avoid taxes. it was totally ridiculous but like I said, the back of the entry form (in small print) said they were allowed to bid the cars up which a lot of them still do today. I will give Sothebey's and RM some respect for not pulling that crap from what I have seen.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/rm-auctions-buys-auburn-complex-kruse

smackdab

Apr 12, 2017
Overall condition was very good with very little wear showing with the 46,000+ miles. I think the package was slowing the bidding somewhat. I was told today that the $175,000 was a real and very firm bid and the estate owner would not take that for the vehicle. Nothing as to appearance was a,deimnt to the vehicle.

Thanks. I was not able to attend or have anyone I know look at it. I did contact Mecum, and they (as of a few days ago) were willing to entertain offers. I think thats standard practice as long as the seller agrees from what I can tell. May be gone by now though. Based on pictures (sure not like looking at something with your own eyes of course) the car looked nice. The Heritage just looked and appeared to me after the results were published as just too spooky to follow up on. Thanks again!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Thanks. I was not able to attend or have anyone I know look at it. I did contact Mecum, and they (as of a few days ago) were willing to entertain offers. I think thats standard practice as long as the seller agrees from what I can tell. May be gone by now though. Based on pictures (sure not like looking at something with your own eyes of course) the car looked nice. The Heritage just looked and appeared to me after the results were published as just too spooky to follow up on. Thanks again!

good move on the Heritage. far too many stories on that one. maybe Shelby can educate us more on that one.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
good move on the Heritage. far too many stories on that one. maybe Shelby can educate us more on that one.

Waiting for Darth Vader to jump in with the story. His internet access has been restored.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Max Girardo is a pro. Note how he actually identifies the bidders.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWC9HpMKU9U

+1

He is by far the best.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Well, I posted about a potential auction sale. I guess i should stray away from it based on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I've never bought a car at auction, although I've been to a few. It seems to me that auctions typically go one of two ways: (1) the car is bid up quickly and sells higher than the seller expected, he's happy, and the auction house looks good. (2) the car does not get to its reserve, the auction house sometimes tries to shill bid, the seller goes away unhappy and the auction house looks bad. Rarely, something in between happens.

After watching a few, it also seems that the high-price auctions are fueled by too much alcohol and excitement (as others have observed). I was casually watching a BJ auction on TV this morning, and a 1961 VW microbus sold for over $200K! That's nuts. A VW?? Yeah I know they are rare 'cause most of them rusted way a long time ago, but still...

After all that, and what's been written here, I can't see why anyone would buy a car at auction. Always buy from a private owner, or a specialized dealer that provides full records.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
After watching a few, it also seems that the high-price auctions are fueled by too much alcohol and excitement (as others have observed). I was casually watching a BJ auction on TV this morning, and a 1961 VW microbus sold for over $200K! That's nuts. A VW?? Yeah I know they are rare 'cause most of them rusted way a long time ago, but still...

Prices on those have been in that price range and going up for the past two or three years, so that's a real market. The real question is why. I suspect it will collapse like the Dodges did in Mopar Mania 8 or 9 years ago.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Prices on those have been in that price range and going up for the past two or three years, so that's a real market. The real question is why. I suspect it will collapse like the Dodges did in Mopar Mania 8 or 9 years ago.

The "greater fool" principle in action...

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Many of those auctions are a joke. Watch a RM or Sotheby's auction to see how it should be done.

I second that opinion. I have always thought the fast pace jibber jabber too much for my brain to process. RM is probably my favorite... It is also reassuring to hear an auctioneer speaking with a proper English accent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Charlie Ross and Gooding get my vote for the best auction experience

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The "greater fool" principle in action...

The Emperor has no clothes?

I have always thought the fast pace jibber jabber too much for my brain to process.

But when you are confused as to whether you are chiding a batter to swing and miss or are buying cattle for your ranch, you may pay more for the car rolling across the block.

lucky73

Apr 5, 2017
It seems the same 40+ Gts (online) have been around for months so maybe auctions are where a few have sold.