Any opinions about the Mecum Houston GTs (3 of them)

Tomcat

GT Owner
Anybody get a 1st hand view of them. It looks like only one sold, $345k

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I recommend the App "Hammer Price Live." For entertainment purposes only. Obviously something is wrong with the Heritage. Might be a repaint or salvage. Don't have enough info but just look at the pic - no pin striping.

Black 3885 mile car sold for $269,500. That is including fees. Hammer was $245k.

791b2b9e1affe6ba2cf936a9705f11d9.jpg

22abff72804b533a8cdec8d93701e687.jpg

dc0211e79e4cbf6ed615d0eba3c7135c.jpg

lucky73

Apr 5, 2017
"actual" money in the pocket of the seller is the # that some people find helpful - can swing either way

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
money in the pocket of the seller is the # that some people find helpful

You can never really know that number. It's not uncommon for them to waive the seller fee to get the buyer fee. I've literally heard Dana Mecum on the mic live on TV telling a seller he will waive the fee if he'll eliminate the reserve. Auctions in general are a total crapshoot, and I frequently do not buy the results, either high or low.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
You can never really know that number. It's not uncommon for them to waive the seller fee to get the buyer fee. I've literally heard Dana Mecum on the mic live on TV telling a seller he will waive the fee if he'll eliminate the reserve. Auctions in general are a total crapshoot, and I frequently do not buy the results, either high or low.

In addition to above, most, if not all, auction houses can/will shill bid up to the reserve. They claim their intent is to stimulate bidding. I am opposed to the idea for a host of reasons. For instance, if car does not sell, it artificially inflates the 'no sale price', allowing them to say we got bids up to 'x' when in fact its not true.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Missing center cap on Black one... guess that might be "extra"

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I've run many a car thru the auctions and they get you in a head lock and tell you what the "real" money is on the bidding. I think it's sickening myself because they keep shill bidding it up until one lone bidder goes just a touch over the highest shill bid and then they own it. it's too easy to get caught up in the auction bidding process but that being said, it usually tells you right on the back of your consignment sheet that they have the right to bid it up.

PS: Dave- surely you jest. someone would re-paint or change a color to make it a Heritage??? lol . I know I know, don't call you Shirley! lol

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was there Friday and saw the red car go through. No sale at $175,000, 4 options, Hennessey 700 package upgrade, 46,902 miles. Hennessey package scared some off with the miles. I didn't see the other two go through. I did look at the black car, 4 options, no center caps, 3,885 miles, looked good and heard it sold for $264,600 with a 8% com. Didn't look at the Heritage but pictures on interior don't look good.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I was there Friday and saw the red car go through. No sale at $175,000, 4 options, Hennessey 700 package upgrade, 46,902 miles. Hennessey package scared some off with the miles. I didn't see the other two go through. I did look at the black car, 4 options, no center caps, 3,885 miles, looked good and heard it sold for $264,600 with a 8% com. Didn't look at the Heritage but pictures on interior don't look good.
Thank you!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
That was not originally a heritage car. That's a previous salvage car that was repainted to gulf colors by "someone" in Texas

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
The Bama show white NFGT had no center caps on the wheels. WTH is going on? Cap theft!

Makes me wonder if they remove them just in case.

Tomcat

GT Owner
That was not originally a heritage car. That's a previous salvage car that was repainted to gulf colors by "someone" in Texas
Understood...Thanks!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Now who would do such a thing?? lol

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I had an exotic car dealer give me a call yesterday to inform me that a twin to the car I was looking at at their dealership just sold at Barrett-Jackson for $20K more than their asking price (which, by the way was priced much higher than comps at other dealers). He wanted to pass this info to me assuming that this event meant that: 1. Values were rising on this particular make and model, and 2. Their asking price was relatively low. Naturally my response was to educate him about auctions in general. They are one-off events fueled by ego and often alcoholic drinks. By no means true indicators of the true marketplace.

lucky73

Apr 5, 2017
"They are one-off events fueled by ego and often alcoholic drinks."

funny!

I would be stressed by all the yelling and jibberjabber. if you can't figure out who the chump is in the room it is probably you so if I never go to an auction I'll never be the chump!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
it takes some big ones to play the auction game and play it well. I know this is going back awhile but I took 5 cars to BJ one year and decided to run them all thru as a continuous collection. just as my first car came up on the stage (with the other 4 behind it) the U.S. bombed Kuwait for the first time and all the big TV screens around the room switched over to CNN to watch the camera on the nose of the first bomb go into the building. The whole place got real quiet and needless to say, the auction was all over. the 5 cars got a nice ride from Reliable Carriers out there and a nice ride back home. I was so done with auctions!

Dwhite

I have never been to an auction, but all the things I hear and the way they hammer one car in 3 seconds and take 5 minutes with another makes me sure I will never buy or sell at an auction. Especially at no-reserve.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have never been to an auction, but all the things I hear and the way they hammer one car in 3 seconds and take 5 minutes with another makes me sure I will never buy or sell at an auction. Especially at no-reserve.

Many of those auctions are a joke. Watch a RM or Sotheby's auction to see how it should be done.

smackdab

Apr 12, 2017

Did you have an opportunity to look this car over? I was wondering if it was either the miles or the Hennessey package that may have been the more detrimental to it not hitting reserve. If you did perhaps look at the car, what would you describe its overall condition as? TIA!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Overall condition was very good with very little wear showing with the 46,000+ miles. I think the package was slowing the bidding somewhat. I was told today that the $175,000 was a real and very firm bid and the estate owner would not take that for the vehicle. Nothing as to appearance was a,deimnt to the vehicle.