Finally picked up a GT. 2006 Tungsten car

Junkie

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2017
Headers are a must if you can get away with them in your state. Not only do they look great in the engine compartment, but they sound awesome. Easy to install on the GT too. Get them Jet Hot coated.

I've been told they aren't worth much power unless you're over 650whp? Also does the heat deteriorate other things in the engine bay?

I've got an air back squeak that is driving me crazy, is there a trusted source to fix this stuff in DFW? When you apply pressure to the air bag cover it goes away.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I've been told they aren't worth much power unless you're over 650whp? Also does the heat deteriorate other things in the engine bay?

With a pulley/tune you are about there with the RWHP. The headers will allow you to make similar power with less boost, which is a good thing. You'd be removing the cats, so less heat in the engine compartment. The ceramic coating helps a bunch with heat too.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Also does the heat deteriorate other things in the engine bay?

Heat shielding on the starter solenoid and clutch line takes care of heat issues.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats on a great color choice! I checked out your car last winter in Southlake. Clean. I did the Borla headers and had them coated matte black by Jet-Hot. They look great and I've had no issues. They are paired with the Ford racing Borla exhaust. A bit tame at idle and under 2k RPMs but at WOT the thing screams.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
How many miles on it Junkie?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Congrats on the new purchase!

+2 or 3 on the headers.

100_0881-1.jpg

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Congrats and welcome !! Great Color .. :thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

I've got an air back squeak that is driving me crazy, is there a trusted source to fix this stuff in DFW? When you apply pressure to the air bag cover it goes away.

Headers are not that effective as a power adder 10 to 15 hp max that you won't feel.. and the down side is you add a lot of heat generating surface area the engine bay, It's a lot of work for virtually not noticeable gain.. A Pulley & tune is the best bang for the buck and an x-pipe will give you the loudness you desire , save you weight and increase the air flow thru the engine bay and give you the reliability of the stock exhaust manifolds which flow very well. you'll end up with 630 to 650 hp at the wheels..

Last edited:

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Congratulations on your new ride. Great colour choice.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Agreed with Stormcat. I feel the headers have more adverse effects than positive ones in my opinion. And I wouldn't call them a simple install either. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Shelby and Stormcat, are you making the distinction of headers added by themselves don't add much?

I get that, but don't most that have them use them to enhance powerboosters upstream like bigger blowers, fuel etc?

PS I don't think the engine bay heat was any worse after making the change, mostly because removing the huge muffler increased air flow substantially.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I didn't notice any increase in heat after the headers. I don't have any measurements, but it would seem the cats get hotter. Compared to other cars I've installed headers on, it was pretty easy on the GT, for me at least. Anyway, the view in the posted picture make it all worth it. The GT has the best looking engine compartment of any modern car I've seen, but the cast-iron manifolds were always a bit of a letdown for me.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
This is how you get the heat out of the engine bay. :lol

[video=youtube;EGZHtVoeSH4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGZHtVoeSH4[/video]

Pulley and tune, Borla/FRPP long tube headers and muffler.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
This is how you get the heat out of the engine bay. :lol

[video=youtube;EGZHtVoeSH4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGZHtVoeSH4[/video]

Pulley and tune, Borla/FRPP long tube headers and muffler.

:thumbsup

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Xcentric needs a carbon credit for his GT.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks, we actually have a bunch of mutual friends in Houston. I remember watching your car roll through the omni parking lot at 2k with the crazy cams.

Ah the good ole days.

well if you need anything, you know where to find me

as for my .02 on the exhaust, if you are not going to make significant power, over 750, then I really don't think its worth the effort unless you just want the look!

as the cars are getting older moding them too much is becoming less desirable and with good reason. it all depends on what you want to do with the car if you want nice driver with good power just do a pulley tune and x pipe and you get the best of both world nice sound and a bit more power from stock. if you are looking to make way more power you pretty much have to get into some kind of exhaust and whipple and or TT .

Junkie

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2017
I don't have much interest in a larger blower as of now. If I'm not happy with 650whp then it would get twins, so it seems like headers will be a waste. Thinking this as of now.

-accufab TB
-air inlet support
-X pipe
-SCT
-2.7 pulley

I'd like to think that'll be fun enough, and drivable on 21" Sport cups

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
I don't have much interest in a larger blower as of now. If I'm not happy with 650whp then it would get twins, so it seems like headers will be a waste. Thinking this as of now.

-accufab TB
-air inlet support
-X pipe
-SCT
-2.7 pulley

I'd like to think that'll be fun enough, and drivable on 21" Sport cups

The GT Guys Intake will help wake 'er up, too! VERY nice piece! Added benefit of reduced weight + cleans up rear compartment. And you get introduced to 2 of the most knowledgeable guys on this planet when it comes to Ford GTs!!

There is a thread on here that addresses a few areas of concern that you may consider.

Enjoy your Ford!! GT!!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Welcome and congrats. Dig how you're hitting the ground running on making it your own. Look forward to seeing it one day.

Vince H

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Stainless works headers small custom mufflers and custom pipes bent out the back . Sounds ok at idle and cruise. At W.O.T it is a race car . I have not got pulled over yet for loud exhaust and I drive a lot. 30k on my car . I like the sound as much as the power. Seems no hotter under the shell . I do have a custom intake so the holes for the stock intake are open and the air now cools the engine bay. My borla box did sound nice but it is heavy,big and the seems are weak if you make power over 650. Come see hear and drive my car if you want and you will be hooked . Let me know .