Richard Westbrook: Sebring final lap battle ended podium fightback

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/new...nal-lap-battle-ended-podium-fightback-885706/

In my mirrors I had the Ferrari of James Calado. I’d managed to edge out a small gap over the last couple of laps which should’ve meant we secured third. Unfortunately I got some GTD traffic in the run to turn five, which allowed him to close up.

In the run to hairpin he was closer still, but not close enough to make a move; or so I thought. I turned in; whack, and James lobbed a move down the inside of me. I got on the grass and had dirt on the tyres, but collected the car and pursued him in the run to turn ten. As I touched the brake, the rear wheels locked because of the dirt on the rubber, and I lost the car momentarily.

We crossed the line fourth, which is no bad result at all. It’s just frustrating to be demoted in that fashion after 12 hours of racing, and annoying also because a Ferrari delivered a similar move on us last year at Sebring too.

I have no issue with James, he’s a good guy and no doubt felt he had a decent opportunity to pass, but it’s not nice to be on the receiving end of contact, and even worse to lose a podium. I’ve been racing in America for nine years now, and that’s what racing is here in the States. You just deal with it and move on...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
An amazing rivalry has developed over a very short period of time.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I feel badly for Westie as he fought a good battle.
Would have been nice to have a 2-3 podium but not this year. We still support all the drivers in this gallant series.
I like his realistic attitude, "You just deal with it and move on...":thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
As I mentioned in my other post I thought he had a decent gap crossing the line on the white flag lap.. Damn GTD cars.. :bored

Hearing the details on what happened prior to the spin explains why he spun so easy.. makes sense after seeing the video... After that explanation I think I would have stayed off the brakes and used the Ferrari as a carom .. I guess Calado is still upset about giving up the lead in Daytona so he did a dive bomber move to try to get back at those Fords !! ...:biggrin

Last edited: