To Film 40% or maybe 100%?

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
My Tungsten Delete's appt for film and ceramic coating is getting close.

I have had two other cars done in the past year and am practically in awe of how far the quality and transparency of these products has come over the years. Both were the usual 40% film cover; windshield forward, sills, mirrors.

OTOH, I don't like the idea of anything limiting the luster of the paint when readied for show. New products certainly don't yellow like the old stuff, but the newest stuff hasn't had the 5 - 10 year test yet. Until now, I've always thought filming a whole car was too over-kill. Favor to 40%.

OTOH, this car does not have even a single tiny chip, anywhere. CO roads all have tons of gravel kicking up year-round. I feel faint just imagining its first blemish someday occurring on my watch. Favor 100% film.

I am trying to not let the significant cost difference factor in too much to this decision.

Advice, opinions?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Advice, opinions?

I got the clear bra treatment from the GT guys, but I still avoided driving on all but the major roads until after 1-Apr and even those if there was any snow until there was a good rain. Also avoid trying to enter a break down lane most of the year as the "grit" gets shifted there and since they don't clean it up they had just as well be treated with nails.

Colorado also likes to use "chip seal" as a repaving method. We went on a drive once and actually turned around because the road had been recently sealed [part of Hwy 7 between Allenspark and Estes Park] and was still throwing rocks. We went about 100' before my tires gummed up and I turned around and slowly went back and cleaned the stuck stones off the tires.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
My Tungsten Delete's appt for film and ceramic coating is getting close.

I have had two other cars done in the past year and am practically in awe of how far the quality and transparency of these products has come over the years. Both were the usual 40% film cover; windshield forward, sills, mirrors.

OTOH, I don't like the idea of anything limiting the luster of the paint when readied for show. New products certainly don't yellow like the old stuff, but the newest stuff hasn't had the 5 - 10 year test yet. Until now, I've always thought filming a whole car was too over-kill. Favor to 40%.

OTOH, this car does not have even a single tiny chip, anywhere. CO roads all have tons of gravel kicking up year-round. I feel faint just imagining its first blemish someday occurring on my watch. Favor 100% film.

I am trying to not let the significant cost difference factor in too much to this decision.

Advice, opinions?
roketman recently did his whole car,, saw it in July,, looked as good as the clear coat...

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I feel faint just imagining its first blemish someday occurring on my watch. Favor 100% film.

Seems you've answered your own question.

I've personally not found CO roads to be as bad as advertised, although I've never ran into chip seal. I still have the Stillen mud flaps on a shelf in the garage. My biggest complaint are the ridiculously large roadside gutters.

Then again I have chips in the paint and pits on my windshield yet there is no way I could wait til April to drive given the beautiful CO weather. Paint is a consumable item if you are not worried about resale, which I'm not. Plus track day blue is not a good look.

Drive the shit out of it and let the chips fall where they may.. pun intended. IMO.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
Advice, opinions?

I have all my cars done in full. I started off like you, just wanting to do the bits that needed it....I sent back the 1st 2 cars to be fully wrapped and could not be happier.

Here in Switzerland the roads are HEAVILY salted from Nov through end-March and that stuff is terrible for your paint/underbody. With the expel and suntek films I could not be more pleased with the protection on my cars.

I recently had an issue with my SUV where I sideswiped a speed limit sign (plastic) with the right-rear fender flare of my G500 in order to avoid a car who decided to drive directly at me in my lane.....warm water and soap....voila, not even a hint of the yellow and white paint which had covered the side of the arch.....

I've had 2 other incidents in my F-cars and can only say, thank goodness for paint protection films

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
My installer is having difficulty filming the entire side scoops. Result starts out fine, but then the leading edge develops a small "pucker". Any ideas.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I literally just this week peeled my partial film (I had a lot more than the basic job), to prepare for a 100%. 2 reasons, one I have found that the car takes hits in places I never expected, that include the upper fender, roof, and "hips". Second, now I wont have to be super paranoid to wash it. So I will have our paint genius (same guy as Roketman) make it perfect, then wrap it up. Seeing Xpel ultimate now for a while, and at every Sema, its really quite good.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Beez

I think a full wrap can only help.

Also consider Clearplex for windscreen. Has saved me many times

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal

At the Monterey Historics a few years ago a guy drove his barn find original unrestored body/paint Cobra from the mid-west to California & then raced at the Historics. I don't know if he drove it back home.

Ed

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
Helpful comments, thanks all.

This is the sort of experience that is leaning me towards going 100%:
2 reasons, one I have found that the car takes hits in places I never expected, that include the upper fender, roof, and "hips". .

Also consider Clearplex for windscreen. Has saved me many times
Yes, that is already on the list for sure.

"another perspective" is an understatement, lol. Unrestored is one thing, but this Cobra guy needs his medications adjusted

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
My installer is having difficulty filming the entire side scoops. Result starts out fine, but then the leading edge develops a small "pucker". Any ideas.

They might need to go further in to get a good wrap all the way around

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Bill I thought we had talked about this and decided how you should handle it?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
film

2 of my cars with xpel head to toe!
We even did 4 coats of Carbon wax on the film! You would never know its filmed! I swear by it.It was not a kit it was all hand cut.No seams or lines.Head lights, tail lights ,wing mirrors, front spoiler, clam shell vents and side scoops all removed for a seamless install.Simply brilliant

Attachments

• 11703526_1114194278596320_1382592427697041833_o.jpg
    11703526_1114194278596320_1382592427697041833_o.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 194

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
2 of my cars with xpel head to toe! Head lights, tail lights ,wing mirrors, front spoiler, clam shell vents and side scoops all removed for a seamless install.Simply brilliant

Wow, that is "all-in"! Would you mind sharing ball park $ to have your GT sealed up so thoroughly? I need to start bracing for next week's bill .

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
2 of my cars with xpel head to toe!
We even did 4 coats of Carbon wax on the film! You would never know its filmed! I swear by it.It was not a kit it was all hand cut.No seams or lines.Head lights, tail lights ,wing mirrors, front spoiler, clam shell vents and side scoops all removed for a seamless install.Simply brilliant
Xpel usually laser cut as per Topaz Detailing In London. Usually a hybrid between xpel and suntek is used.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Be very careful having people hand cut the film on your car. I have seen a lot of cut cars when you peal off the film.

Xpel does have kits available to wrap the edges so you do not see the seams.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The team that did roketmans, will be doing mine.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Prices vary
The key is having the car detailed and prepped before the film goes on.
If there are any nicks or chips they need to be filled and wet sanded.If they are not plush with the paint work,the Fillm will really highlight them.
I spent 2k in prep and 8k for the wrap.)
The carbon coating on the film is the final touch of brilliance

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Be very careful having people hand cut the film on your car. I have seen a lot of cut cars when you peal off the film.

After researching various dealers that do wraps, some take whole sheets of film and hand cut with razor blades. The ideal way to have it done is to have it cut by computer using the CAD software of the car. On my incoming Mustang, they showed me for just the roof there would be 5 different pieces. Every time they make a cut, they are charged a certain amount by the software company. To do the entire car they said the charges for the "cuts" would probably be $300-400. He said he has been doing this for 18 years and can't imagine not making a mistake with a razor blade. Also some take the wrap only to the leading edge, while others will do a full wrap around so you don't see it at all.