To Film 40% or maybe 100%?

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
The ideal way to have it done is to have it cut by computer using the CAD software of the car.

The guy that is doing mine next week has shown me how the Xpel software works that he uses. I was impressed that a model with as low of production numbers as ours had the custom cuts pre-loaded. Pretty sure he pays a flat fee for access, not per-cut. The pre-programmed cuts are completely modifiable on-screen; for example if the design calls for an edge cut, the user can increase the dimension to wrap it.

Interestingly, though he uses Xpel's software, he prefers to use Llumar's film. He indicated Llumar has a small edge in quality of product, and a big edge in the support and service he receives.

Last edited:

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Interestingly, though he uses Xpel's software, he prefers to use Llumar's film. He indicated Llumar has a small edge in quality of product, and a big edge in the support and service he receives.

There is a monthly fee for the Xpel software plus a fee for each cut but it is the best software in the industry. My guess is this guy does window tinting as well and that is why he uses the Llumar. In my opinion the Xpel is the best film in the industry.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
There is a monthly fee for the Xpel software plus a fee for each cut but it is the best software in the industry. My guess is this guy does window tinting as well and that is why he uses the Llumar. In my opinion the Xpel is the best film in the industry.

Nope, he outsources his window tint, he is a dealer for and offers both Xpel and Llumar, and he thinks Llumar is currently the best. My effort to understand the brands indicates there has been some leap-frogging in recent years as the technology advances. For example, the adhesive used on SunTek brand was recognized to offer the best clarity available for that element. I believe Llumar bought rights to the Suntek adhesive to incorporate it into their newest Platinum product. It has only been a little over a year since that occurred.

I find this effort to compare these two leading brands interesting - might you have formed your opinion that Xpel is the best film over a year ago, and not more recently re-evaluated the evidence?

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would say you are right in that the materials are constantly changing slightly and they are all vastly improved these days.

I had my Huracan done with SunTek. It's basically completely invisible. I've never seen a clearer product. But it is marginally thinner than xPel. But the latest xPel is also very clear.

SunTek is also extremely easy to install (according to installers I talk to). Ultimately I think either is fine, and the key is finding a competent installer who will apply whichever one he uses correctly.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The team that did roketmans, will be doing mine.

Smart choice. The full film job on Ron's GT is the best I have ever seen.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Is anyone familiar with Prestige "Spectra Photosync" window film/tint? The people who will wrap my Mustang are saying this is one of the better products on the market (no doubt). The brochure says "solar adaptive NANO IR window film".

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Smart choice. The full film job on Ron's GT is the best I have ever seen.
Thank you! I agree!

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
I ended up going about 70/30 on the Llumar Ultimate. Then the just-released C-Quartz Reserve.

Check out how fun this is - the shop Colorado Detail coordinated with CQuartz to produce professional marketing video featuring my car. Llumar could pick up on it too. This first edit/release is for CODetail. If you get bored before the 5:24 end, pls skip to the last minute - my favorite part :biggrin

[video=youtube;hUvQcgnxVtk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUvQcgnxVtk[/video]

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Very nice video. They did an extensive job on your car. Should be good for a long time with all that protection. Good choice.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Dang, but that is such a beautiful car. Nice job, just in time for spring.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
Very nice!

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
^^ Thx for looking guys. Maybe I'll put the vid in the sound and vision sub forum too.