First Modification

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What is the cost of PPF for the entire car (top and bottom)?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What is the cost of PPF for the entire car (top and bottom)?

I would guess in the neighborhood of $7k. Depends on installer and materials.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I'll do the whole car at any cost!
It's the best investment in my opinion
Otherwise I'll be going out of my mind with every single nick or chip!
And I don't mean Chip Beck!

Last edited:

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Paul, interesting spark plug topic but I doubt it will really be a concern to most owners.

If as related by Andy the plugs are good for 100K (or even half that mileage) you or most owners will not have to worry about this service issue in your ownership.

I have never even thought about changing the OE plugs in my 06. Less than 20K on the clock so at that rate I certainly will never have to worry bout it...(heirs might:lol)

Interesting topic, plugs are supposed to last due to emissions regulations but Porsche recommends a change on 991 GT3 every 15K.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Here's my worthless two cents:.....
With the clarity of the PPF available now, and how f-ing nice all these components are on the GT, I'm just committed to doing it.

Wow! Ok sign me up! I'm sure in one year we will see where we need to modify the clear film protection sites.

Ed

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Interesting topic, plugs are supposed to last due to emissions regulations but Porsche recommends a change on 991 GT3 every 15K.

I'm getting about 5k miles out of the plugs on my 2 GT500s and the FGT. All have higher than stock boost with afternarket tunes.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I would guess in the neighborhood of $7k. Depends on installer and materials.

That's the ballpark figure I got from the top tier installers in DFW. Takes several days to do the whole car.

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Don't really like the idea. It's not like adding mesh to an engine cover or radiator vent. That hole is an important part of the cars aerodynamics.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Don't really like the idea. It's not like adding mesh to an engine cover or radiator vent. That hole is an important part of the cars aerodynamics.

Big disclaimer that it is to be taken off if you're going to drive the car at speed. For low speed use only.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Team CB will take a set. But then it's safe to assume that every owner will want a set.

Chip

+2. Goes without saying. Gotta have that part!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Having seen quite a few development cars, I'd say you will really appreciate the product once you drive your GT a few miles on the street. Even show cars (driven ones) have considerable abrasion/nicks on that area of the car.

Leading edges of the lower fender areas are even more prone to wear. A molded plastic part for the leading edge areas would be a great thing. I don't think a PPF will survive very long in that area by itself.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Having seen quite a few development cars, I'd say you will really appreciate the product once you drive your GT a few miles on the street. Even show cars (driven ones) have considerable abrasion/nicks on that area of the car.

Leading edges of the lower fender areas are even more prone to wear. A molded plastic part for the leading edge areas would be a great thing. I don't think a PPF will survive very long in that area by itself.

Great idea, hopefully some one will make molded parts available before delivery of later cars. Original big block Cobra rear fenders got terrible rock dents so people started covering them with padded vinyl spats to stop the damage. I would bet everyone purchasing the new GT would take a protection package if available.

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015

That's what a quality clear bra is for, which is far better than changing the aerodynamics of the car.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
That's what a quality clear bra is for, which is far better than changing the aerodynamics of the car.

You'll love the quality clear bra right up to the point (in highl exposure/impact areas like leading edge) you go to remove it someday. Highly likely that the paint will come off with the clear material when you remove it.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You'll love the quality clear bra right up to the point (in highl exposure/impact areas like leading edge) you go to remove it someday. Highly likely that the paint will come off with the clear material when you remove it.

Is this common Rex? This concern has prevented me from using the film on my cars.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
My concern too. that is why I have never put in on any of my cars ...including the 2006 Ford Gt.
I picture it coming off with round ''impact dislodged'' pieces of paint and primer attached leaving a 'divot' that now requires full fill, sand , primer , repaint , clear.
Or , once you put it on you pray you never have to take it off since the film itself is now holding the pieces of impact severed paint to the car ?
andy (ajb)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have never seen properly applied clear bra take paint off. Manufacturers put it on cars all the time. Your 05/06 has it on the rockers. 911s come with it. It was a factory option on the 918.

I just removed a giant piece from a GT3 the other day. Like it was never there.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Over the last 10 years I have had multiple clear films applied & replaced on my GT & other cars. Never had a paint problem. My guy steams it first & then removes it. I think it's more of an old wive's tale.

Ed

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
that is good news. My issue is not that the OEMS use it or not...when they use it, they expect the customer to never remove it.
I am concerned with films in general. I still have the blue film on my 2006 GT on the sill scuff plates...not sure what happens when I remove it.

We are going to need something. Just seeing the chips on red car at COBO and other shots including 'pockets full of stones" , this car will take a beating.
Clear films, stainless screen enclosures and small 'mudflaps' will all be required.
andy (ajb)

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Mudflaps! :lol

Not laughing at you, laughing with you!

I get it, trust me.