New McLaren Ad

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
McLaren cars releases new ad, a total-rip-off of the 2004 Ford GT JWT ad from the 2004 Super Bowl. Interesting that McLaren's agency (VCCP) won the business after besting competitors JWT, Brooklyn Brothers and another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qONckKNrkT8&sns=fb

Perhaps I should just be pleased as they say ' imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'. Especially since the ad (and GT) is obviously still relevant 13 years later. :biggrin

Here's the real deal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRx_oAfOM4s :thumbsup

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I had real high hopes that Ford's 2017 Superbowl ad would be an updated "The One" ad for the NFGT. Alas, it was the lamest ad during the whole game.

Jul 28, 2016
That was the nephew of Ayrton Senna driving. Very cool theme even though they took some IP :)

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Bruno Senna was one of the instructors at my McLaren track day last year. We were at Brands Hatch -a great little track, and I must say, F1 drivers sure teach you different lines. Had dinner with him afterwards, a really nice, modest dude. He took Roz out for some hot laps in a 675 LT, scared the poop out of her!

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I must admit I don't like the looks of the 720.
It looks too - hmmm futuristic. Too soft curved especially at the rear, and too much glas.

It somehow looks like an amphibious vehicle..

Sorry

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'm not a fan of the looks of the 720S either but it sure has the performance. It's the closest competitor to our NGTs on the road.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
A little short comparison vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9LABk-WHQ

Ed

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
The character lines of the 720 just seem to 'swoop around , up and down ., signifying nothing".

I would see one on the road and 'yawn'/... and walk by it in a car show ... it looks like a car.

The Ford GT by comparison looks like an F-35 Jet Aircraft ... ''total meanness and purpose...''.

andy (ajb)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
im not a big fan of the Mclearn but I do like the new one better than its older renditions

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Is that our "GT Guys"?

"from 0 to prison." Funny

After seeing the quick frame comparisons I have to agree that I like the lines of the NGT better.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Don't care for the Mac's front end, but do like the profile. Very F1-ish. Still, it ain't no GT.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
No question to me that the new GT is a far more interesting and unique looking car. The driving dynamics should be incredible. I can't wait.

As a fan of many things automotive, I do like McLarens, and applaud their efforts.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Going to see one tomorrow evening at a sneak preview. The 'Roswell Alien' headlight openings look hideous in photographs but I'm told they are better in real life, we'll see. Regardless of how it looks, it's guaranteed to kick butt (when its not in the shop)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Going to see one tomorrow evening at a sneak preview. The 'Roswell Alien' headlight openings look hideous in photographs but I'm told they are better in real life, we'll see.

We've been waiting for the review- what did you think?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Well, the overall form is a beautiful shape, but the car is covered in gimmicky detailing. I know the McLaren fan boys say that it's all 100% functional, but......it still looks a little tacky and I'm sure it won't age well. I still can't get past those headlights, they are hideous. Interior is beautiful, build quality seems to be light years ahead of the early car, but time will tell.
Overall I'm sure it will be an unbelievable car, the full road tests that are just coming out all state that it kicks a 488's butt, and is even quicker round the track than the P1. I for one will sit and wait til they're two years old and I can buy one at half price. With McLaren's business model it's inevitable that values will fall

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Ooh, forgot to mention that Frank Seffenson, their Head of Design has quit to go back to Mini (he designed the original reboot, plus Fiat 500 reboot, BMW X5, etc etc). So, we may see a shift away from the current bio-mimickry design language at McLaren.