Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I agree with Raj Nair. Indy doesn't have the relevance to justify the program.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
would be interesting to talk with Honda and Chevy and get their take on relevance.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

I agree with you Paul.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I agree with you Paul.

For the record, I don't agree with you Bill. LOL

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
......and look what F1 is doing for Honda's rep. In testing last week it was three laps and three engines!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

I agree with Raj,,, and Paul..

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
And Dave

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Most fortunate that we don't jointly manage a company. ;-)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It's a generational problem Rex. My 21 year old son loves cars and racing but doesn't care much for the Indy series. It's anorexic Formula 1 to him.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
If both Stormcat & DBK say the same thing then I'm with them. Now, what Dr Frank says I'll go the opposite! LOL

Ed

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Dr. Frank?? May as well been thrown to the wolves.....

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Champ car died a long time ago..... IRL killed it, well not killed, but killed everyone, including them selves..... The product is getting better, sort of, but the aero, ugliness is brutal.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
New engine suppliers and a whole lot less 'spec' chassis/aero bodywork would surely help (both aesthetics and competitive level).

Yep, all that above stuff that the IRL tried to regulate out so we could see the benefit of best 'B' drivers in the region.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
No doubt the series WANTS (is begging) for more engine suppliers. If one of the 2 current decides they are tired of getting their ass kicked (Honda) then what? Dodge.... or Better, Buick, long live Indy lights.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
They will get their wish (new engines) it just won't be Ford. The transition in that series is happening - Ford may never see what it thinks it needs in order to return. So be it.

Think the current product needs further improvement? Of course, but don't lose sight of how far it's come - recall the utterly forgettable Aurora/Oldsmobile spec engine era? That was a really dark period. Perhaps surpassed(?) only by some really bizarre commonized bodywork of recent years. A Series grasping for definition and relevance.

New success formula: 'revert to the early nineties. Reward innovation, Open up the rule book, away from spec chassis to - min car weight, limit exterior package dimensions, control number of aero appendages & engine variation/options thru current spec turbo units & ECM. Independent sanctioning body - give the George/France families some nice bleacher seats in lieu of control of rules and decision making. Yep, killer costs for small teams and (likely) rewards large scale multi-car team efforts. Man I miss those days.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Champ car died a long time ago..... IRL killed it, well not killed, but killed everyone, including them selves..... The product is getting better, sort of, but the aero, ugliness is brutal.

^^this

New success formula: 'revert to the early nineties. Reward innovation, Open up the rule book, away from spec chassis to - min car weight, limit exterior package dimensions, control number of aero appendages & engine variation/options thru current spec turbo units & ECM. Independent sanctioning body - give the George/France families some nice bleacher seats in lieu of control of rules and decision making. Yep, killer costs for small teams and (likely) rewards large scale multi-car team efforts. Man I miss those days.

Good suggestions

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes, and to quote Paul Tracy when referring to the "crap wagon" IRL cars....

Yes allowing creativity and innovation would be steps in the right direction, but the black hole of costs will prevent that. F1 with hundreds of million dollar budgets are making "cost savings" efforts with engine durability requirements etc. the days of outspend, to make the killer package are gone.

Think the current product needs further improvement? Of course, but don't lose sight of how far it's come - recall the utterly forgettable Aurora/Oldsmobile spec engine era?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

And, Raj, and Dave, and Paul, and Tim.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
And, Raj, and Dave, and Paul, and Tim.

Uh, Tim, for Rex's score keeping it should be....
Raj, Paul, Bill, Dave and Tim (possibly special Ed).