A piece of Dodge racing history- 1968 "L023" Hurst hemi Dart

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
For anybody interested, just thought I would share a new project car I purchased- an authentic 1968 L023 Hurst Hemi Dart. Dodge made 80 of these beasts, just for Super Stock racing. Though technically street-legal, they came with large decals stating that they were "for supervised acceleration trials only, not for passenger car use", or something to that effect. They were shipped, partially completed, from the assembly line to the Hurst Performance facility, where the shock towers were modified (sledge hammered) to make room for the race Hemi, and fitted with fiberglass fenders and hood, thinner window glass, lightweight seats, etc.

I am the third owner, after Dick Smith and Jim Keyes. Jim had owned it since 1973, and he raced it until he turned his attention to a BO29 Barracuda that he still owns and races today. Jim was kind enough to oblige my request for him to deliver the car to me personally (along with his friend and racing partner, Reg Lewis), and it was fun for me, my dad, and my three boys to meet them and talk about the history of the car for a while before he made the long trek back to Michigan.

Long ago, he had painted the L023 Dart and the B029 Barracuda matching House of Kolors Chromallusion paint (which is kind of cool, but simply has to go). *I will attach some photos of it in its current state. I am going to pull the Super Stock hemi and keep it on an engine stand in my garage as a decoration, and I am having Tim Banning/ForHemisOnly build me a nice mild-to-moderate race hemi to run in the car for now. I was so impressed with him when he built the Hemi stroker for my '67 GTX, that I was anxious to work with him again (see link here: http://forhemisonly.com/project/clint-brunner/ *)

I plan to do a partial restoration (I want to keep the cage, wheel tubs, interior the same), because I really want to preserve some of the patina and character that comes with a rare race car that was actually raced for years. I am going to paint it a factory 1968 white color (couldn't get the grey primer/black fenders and hood paint scheme past the wife), put on some classic Cragar rims and Mickey Thompsons, and make an occasional exhibition pass at the local dragstrip once or twice a year, just for the thrill of running a piece of history down the dragstrip. Should be good for mid to low 9's at least, with the new engine (900+ hp).

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is an awesome car Clint. The Dick Smith livery is the way to go.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Thank you, Paul. Yes, I agree. Much more attractive (and closer to original) than the Jim Keyes livery. That is why I thought I would paint it an original 1968 Dodge shade of white, and do vinyl graphics for the livery. Easy to reverse. When done, the car should look similar to this one (but with meatier rear tires):

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
supervised acceleration trials you say? who's doing the supervising? :) great car! looks great in white too

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
supervised acceleration trials you say? who's doing the supervising? :) great car! looks great in white too

:biggrin. Thank you. Not sure. NHRA maybe? Going to have to get my license for this one.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
A piece of Dodge racing history- 1968 "L023" Hurst hemi Dart

Great find!! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
That's another cool car for your collection. One of these days when I'm back visiting my sister, I'd like to get together to admire your collection. Maybe after the next Rally in Salt Lake City. I really like that Plum Purple color.

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
That's another cool car for your collection. One of these days when I'm back visiting my sister, I'd like to get together to admire your collection. Maybe after the next Rally in Salt Lake City. I really like that Plum Purple color.

I would enjoy that! Thank you.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Great find!! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!